Library Theatre Film Screenings

I'm currently researching cinema-going in Sheffield and a few people have told me that the Library Theatre (and other libraries across the city) held free film screenings during the 40s/50s.

Did anyone go to any of these screenings? Does anybody have any other information? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I certainly remember going to film screenings at the Library theatre during the 1940s. My brother and I went quite often.. One film I definitely remember seeing there was Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" starring Alistair Sim. No adults accompanied us and anyone who remembers the film will know it was rather frightening for children in parts. Still I loved seeing Kathleen Harrison running around screaming with her pinny over her head when she discovers Scrooge as a reformed character. Happy days.

Thanks for your response and the memory of a "A christmas carol". Can you remember else about the kinds of films that were shown there? How did it compare to the other cinemas in Sheffield?

I seem to remember going to children’s film shows in the 50’s / 60’s at the Library theatre. However, the only film I can remember seeing was the French film ‘the red balloon’

I guess this was shown as it didn’t have any dialogue.

I seem to remember going to children’s film shows in the 50’s / 60’s at the Library theatre. However, the only film I can remember seeing was the French film ‘the red balloon’

I guess this was shown as it didn’t have any dialogue.

The Red Ballon was a film I saw in Sheffield many years ago, about 8 years ago I found a copy of it in a library in the USA and borrowed it, what a wonderful film.

I've recently been looking at the records of the film screenings held at the Library. The Red Baloon was screened in February 1959 and A Christmas Carol was screened in December 1950.

I remember The red balloon from when I was younger thought I saw in on tv..Just found it on u tube will watch it again when I get time.

Edited by nikita

I went to see Laurence Olivier's Henry V there. It must have been around 1960.

Were these screenings free? How were tickets distributed?

There are some good pictures of the Library Theatre on Picture Sheffield. For instance:

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturesheffield/jpgh_sheffield/u03038.jpg

I'm sure they were free and I think the tickets were distributed through the schools.

The Library Theatre held film screenings at least into the early 1980's when I last saw a film there. They tended to be art house cinema and I remember seeing 'Eraserhead' and 'Night of the Living Dead' there.

Thanks smanning for dating it. That would make me 7yrs old. I don't remember my parents going with me so I wonder if they dropped me off and picked me up later. Strange how that one film has stuck in my mind after all these years.