Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Are all tooth pastes the same?

There wa recently a news item that said that there is no proven best practice when it comes to teeth brushing.

My teeth are not very good at the moment, I would gladly pay extra to fix them, but brushing twice daily and mouth washing seems to make no improvment. Yet toothpaste and mouthwash makers claim various things, 24hr protection ect.

Is there a toothpaste better than the rest, or is the magic ingredient flouride, which they all contain. No cure for gum discease, and they dont know what causes it, it is important, it doubles the risk od heart discease.

Is there a toothpaste better than the rest, or is the magic ingredient flouride, which they all contain.

Not all- they difficult to find but there are toothpastes that do not contain flouride- Holland and Barretts had a couple in stock last time I went there.

Flouride free toothpastes cater for that small minority of consumers who prefer evidence-based health care, and who are aware that there is zero evidence that flouride benefits teeth, and/or are concerned about the fact that there is evidence suggesting flouride is fairly toxic.

There wa recently a news item that said that there is no proven best practice when it comes to teeth brushing.

My teeth are not very good at the moment, I would gladly pay extra to fix them, but brushing twice daily and mouth washing seems to make no improvment. Yet toothpaste and mouthwash makers claim various things, 24hr protection ect.

Is there a toothpaste better than the rest, or is the magic ingredient flouride, which they all contain. No cure for gum discease, and they dont know what causes it, it is important, it doubles the risk od heart discease.

Perhaps you need a bit of tartar scraping off.

Until you have got rid of that, no amount of brushing will get your mouth right.

4 words: electric toothbrush, Sensodyne toothpaste.

I've always used Sensodyne Repair & Protect with a medium manual toothbrush. I was lured away to using Colgate Sensitive because it was half the price. Within about 4 weeks my tooth sensitivity came back with a vengeance. So I went back to using Sensodyne Rapid Relief (directly rubbed onto my teeth as well at first) & now I'm back onto Sensodyne daily & I'm sticking to it!

fluoride has other negative affects on your body, such as accelerating the calcification of your pineal gland...

Fluoride is also added to our water supply, and other things, so you really don't need a toothpaste with it in, we already consume way too much imho!

Perhaps you need a bit of tartar scraping off.

Until you have got rid of that, no amount of brushing will get your mouth right.

I see an hygienist once or twice per year, but I have to pay private prices.

Not sure where you get that information from. Gum disease, periodontitis, in almost all cases can be prevented by sensible maintenance of the teeth AND gums (something a lot of people still get wrong is that they don't brush the gum) and by avoiding the obvious agents, such as smoking, sugar, alcohol and so on.

Of course nobody wants to live like a medieval nun on bread and water, but excess is the primary trigger, saying the cause is not known or there is no cure is rather uninformed.

Having said that, curing it is difficult and requires a very stringent regime, to the extent that most people don't/can't commit to it. Once you have problems with periodontitis it is hard to get rid off (speaking from experience, smoking, drinking - not good).

If you worry about whether your teeth are clean enough/whether you are rigorous enough - do go and talk to a dentist or hygienist. It is their job to provide you with good advice, not just to have a poke in your mouth every 6 months.

I reckon the base composition will be the same but things added to give a slightly different alternative, eg. flavouring, bicarbonate levels, flouride etc, much as in the same way that shampoos are basically talcum power

Edited by Mecky

It is all the same, I buy the cheapest

It's not all the same and colgate total provides the best protection and those toothpastes containing you guessed it... yes... fluoride provide better protection than those without. The effect of fluoride in toothpaste is regarded by some experts as profound.

For those who like an evidence base, here you go:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15509081

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10086924

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25348354

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25208366

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25055219

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25157014

Fluoride has 3 main mechanisms of action: (1) it promotes enamel remineralization; (2) it reduces enamel demineralization; and (3) it inhibits bacterial metabolism and acid production.9 The mechanisms of fluoride are both topical and systemic, but the topical effect is the most important, especially over the life span.10