Any real difference between supermarkets?

Is there any real difference in quality between the discounters such as Aldi and the main supermarkets? I’ve seen the Aldi adverts on tv for chocolate for example. They say something such as “like brands but cheaper“, and they are comparing Aldi own brand chocolate to Lindt chocolate. Can they really be the same quality. Is one full of transfats or something?

I went to Aldi today for some milk. I cannot honestly tell any difference, but I suppose it is the same with fruit & veg where there cannot really change the product for cheaper ingredients. But what about baked goods-biscuits scones and the things such as nan breads/chapattis, ready meals and anything that is processed? Could they be made from the cheapest of the cheap when it comes to ingredients?

Aldi was quite busy this morning. There always seems to be plenty of people in. Often on SF I see people asking, “where is the cheapest place for….... ….” Are people generally concerned about the price only, regardless of anything else. All that buying power that the big 4 have with producers, and the discounters are still giving them a run for their money. What is really going on in the grocery market, does anyone have a theory?

Between Morrisons and Asda, probably not.

Between Aldi and Waitrose, there's a huge difference.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I would say the same regarding the big 4, what is that difference between Aldi?

I would say the same regarding the big 4, what is that difference between Aldi?

No difference.

The only reason brand name food cost is more is because gullible idiots are willing to pay for the name.

Lidl/Aldi are better because you don't have to mess about with BOGOFs to get the best prices. Plus the food is better quality than the usual stuff from Tesco etc. I'll go into Tesco occasionally to buy something nice to have at the weekend, or clothes or household stuff but I do all my regular shopping at the cheaper supermarkets.

I always shopped at morrisons and would never entertain the idea of aldi as I expected it to be cheap and nasty, but over a period of 12 months or so I noticed that the 'fresh' vegetables and greens I was buying from morrisons for my rabbit and guinea pig were soggy or fluffy and going off extremely quickly which I obviously found very annoying. Someone at work suggested I try aldi for the fresh veg for the animals as they found it really good, so I started going there for that stuff and week by week trying other things and now I do all my shopping there and cannot fault it one bit. Our food bill has literally halved and the food is actually much tastier!!!

Lidl/Aldi are better because you don't have to mess about with BOGOFs to get the best prices. Plus the food is better quality than the usual stuff from Tesco etc. I'll go into Tesco occasionally to buy something nice to have at the weekend, or clothes or household stuff but I do all my regular shopping at the cheaper supermarkets.

Do you find that you cannot buy something nice to have at the weekend from Aldi?:confused:

I always shopped at morrisons and would never entertain the idea of aldi as I expected it to be cheap and nasty, but over a period of 12 months or so I noticed that the 'fresh' vegetables and greens I was buying from morrisons for my rabbit and guinea pig were soggy or fluffy and going off extremely quickly which I obviously found very annoying. Someone at work suggested I try aldi for the fresh veg for the animals as they found it really good, so I started going there for that stuff and week by week trying other things and now I do all my shopping there and cannot fault it one bit. Our food bill has literally halved and the food is actually much tastier!!!

Based on your experience (no problems with Aldi food quality and bill halved) what do you think is really going on in the grocery market?

Aldi and Lidl are called DISCOUNT stores as they threaten the piles of money the rip off stores charge. So you think Lidl is a small little quaint store struggling against it bigger rivals, well you could not be more wrong. They prove how much YOU ARE RIPPED off by the greedy supermarkets, lidl is huge, no gigantic, so forget the DISCOUNTERS label its there to put people off. Create prejudice. If they dared mess with wuality they would not be what the article says below.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/18/lidl-owner-europe-gocery-biggest-schwarz

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2772991/Aldi-s-latest-little-luxury-9-99-caviar-Supermarket-start-stocking-delicacy-aims-bigger-slice-luxury-market.html

You do not get this big by selling rubbish or being overpriced, they are showing fairness, what food actually costs, and are happy to make a modest profit without ripping us off like TESCO@S, Morrisons, Waitrose, and the rest of the very comfortable cartel,, that pretend to compete, just like the energy providers. They have fought tooth and nail to keep Aldi and Lidy out of the High Street over the years.

Exactly, the big supermarkets have had their way in being a cartel for too long, what with squeezing the farmers and ripping off the public. Now that Liddys and Aldi's are here, we can see just how much we have been ripped off over the years. L & A do it better and without compromising quality. Trust the Germans to show the way for quality, just like their cars!

Exactly, the big supermarkets have had their way in being a cartel for too long, what with squeezing the farmers and ripping off the public. Now that Liddys and Aldi's are here, we can see just how much we have been ripped off over the years. L & A do it better and without compromising quality. Trust the Germans to show the way for quality, just like their cars!

You got that right poppet. I would also put in the first line. The big supermarkets have had their day.

Asda and Tescos, both cheapish, but poor quality produce. Basic range, really basic.

Morrisons, bit more expensive, prices are ok, really good quality. Basic range ok.

Sainsbury's, good quality, but very expensive for most things. Basic range ok.

NETTO - RIP, was the best.

Lidl, quality ok, prices ok.

Aldi, quality ok, but fruit and veg doesn't last long at all. Prices ok.

COOP - quality ok, prices ridiculous

Waitrose - I don't know, no stores nearby.

Jack Fultons - Cheap and cheerful, quality ok

Iceland - Cheap and cheerful, quality ok.

They're all as bad as each other. Anywhere that's involved in the international food trade should be avoided at all costs. Problem is, they've got to the point where they're unbeatable on price.

Local produce should be our main staple.