Patronising Doctors

When you visit your doctor do you ever get the impression that you are wasting their time and why did you bother making an appointment?

I recently went to my local doctors and said that I have been having bad headaches for the past 3 weeks now and painkillers are not really helping me, His response was so you haven't been having headaches for that long then.

I couldn't believe it I thought he was joking but the way he said it as well I thought yeah thanks, I rarely come to the surgery and I think 3 weeks of bad headaches is not normal for someone who rarely has headaches throughout the year and to be patronised by a medical professional is just poor.

He told me to use co codamol and if it is no better in 2 weeks to go back.

Have you had a similar situation where your doctor has spoke to you like you are a time wasting idiot?

Sounds like he was having a bad day. Didn`t he examine you and ask other questions like where abouts on your head is the pain, and the type of pain etc? Sometimes they hold the head firmly and move it around asking if it hurts.

I`d go to A&E or something if it is still continuing. Being Sat I would advise taking a flask and sandwiches though and a good read.

Sounds like he was having a bad day. Didn`t he examine you and ask other questions like where abouts on your head is the pain, and the type of pain etc? Sometimes they hold the head firmly and move it around asking if it hurts.

I`d go to A&E or something if it is still continuing. Being Sat I would advise taking a flask and sandwiches though and a good read.

Do the 'something' and go to the walk in centre. A&E is for accidents and emergencies only.

Hope the OP is feeling better soon.

Regards.

Edited by Daven

I once had a doctor who seemed to think everything was related to mental health issues - not just for me, other people in my family found the same thing (and none of us have any history of mental health problems).

I once went because I was having constant problems with pain in my feet and lower legs, she asked me some questions and then told me it was because I was under stress at work and that I needed to do more exercise! I was like "um...I normally do quite a lot of exercise, but I've had to stop doing it because of this pain. As I've just explained to you". She insisted that all I needed to do was go swimming and it would all be fine! I got a second opinion from a different GP, who immediately diagnosed it as tendonitis and referred me for physio, which helped enormously and now I'm fine (and back to exercising as I used to!)

I have had this said to me about excersise when I get loads of excersise. I never see locum doctors if I can help it. I just think that they are trying to get you out through the door as fast as possible.

Edited by nikki-red

I am very lucky in that all the doctors at my surgery are lovely. I never need to ask for a particular one by name as I am confident I will see a good gp. They give me all the time I need, I never feel rushed or patronised.

Many years ago I did have an awful doctor. He was seriously into homeopathy (which I am not) and I disliked his attitude so much I moved elsewhere.

Edited to add, I am fearful that one day I will be removed due to over subscribing at this surgery.

Not been patronised by my GP and my previous one was absolutely brilliant. The reason I havent been patronised I think is because I dont allow it. I give them the information they need, interact with them, ask relevant questions and listen to their suggested course of action. Next please.

I've noticed a definite change over the past year or so. Previously my GP would refer you to the hospital or order bloods. They do tend to make you come back at least 4 times over a period of several months now before referring.

I have arthritis in my neck and it has been getting worse over the past few months. Each time I go I am told that if it's no better in six weeks I will be referred to the physio. The last time I went I asked for a physio referral to be told physio won't help. I was given strong painkillers instead.

I've noticed a definite change over the past year or so. Previously my GP would refer you to the hospital or order bloods. They do tend to make you come back at least 4 times over a period of several months now before referring.

I have arthritis in my neck and it has been getting worse over the past few months. Each time I go I am told that if it's no better in six weeks I will be referred to the physio. The last time I went I asked for a physio referral to be told physio won't help. I was given strong painkillers instead.

It depends on GP, but remember GPs now run their own pracyices and have financial incentives on the results. If you arent happy then ask why and if still not happy then consider changing.

Our doctors on the whole are ok A couple make you feel like you are wasting their time. One of them is obsessed by weight, and fair enough I am a bit overweight, not much and I have arthritis in my knee, due to an accident, I also have it in my hands, so she told me that if I lost weight it would be a lot better, so I asked if it would help the arthritis in my hands, obviously she didn't have an answer for that.

It depends on GP, but remember GPs now run their own pracyices and have financial incentives on the results. If you arent happy then ask why and if still not happy then consider changing.

I tried changing my doctors but found that when I applied at other surgeries they would just say you don't come under our catchment area so in the end I just got taken off my then doctors list full stop .

Our doctors on the whole are ok A couple make you feel like you are wasting their time. One of them is obsessed by weight, and fair enough I am a bit overweight, not much and I have arthritis in my knee, due to an accident, I also have it in my hands, so she told me that if I lost weight it would be a lot better, so I asked if it would help the arthritis in my hands, obviously she didn't have an answer for that.

But it could help the arthritis in your knee? Seems reasonable to me then. If I was offered some advice on relieving migraines I wouldn't refuse it simply because it's not going to help my tennis elbow.