Chesterfield road closed

Thank you for some of the comments, I only included I was first aid qualified as I know some people would question whether I should I should have given first aid.

My qualification was done due to youth work I am involved with & not through work and by a first aid training company.

There is a law called "Samaritans Law" which means you can not be sued as long as you act in the best interest of the patient & to the best of your knowledge (even if you have no first aid knowledge).

Bull..... I was trained by British Red Cross and i was told something completely different. ( hope i spelled everything ok ) thats why i asked ;)

It's a sorry state when you need to be insured to provide first aid when you're the first on the scene. You shouldn't have to worry about if you'll get sued before trying to save someone's life.

Can someone check if I'm insured please? This person is bleeding to death but I need to ensure I'm insured first.

There is a law called "Samaritans Law" which means you can not be sued as long as you act in the best interest of the patient & to the best of your knowledge (even if you have no first aid knowledge).

Neither's quite right.

• Even if you have all the training and expertise and qualifications in the world, the ordinary law still allows someone to sue you if they think you've been negligent in your first aid. Doesn't happen much in real life, even these days.
  • But: If someone does sue a volunteer first-aider, the courts are very reluctant to take their side; the courts don't like the idea of discouraging voluntary good deeds. You'd have to be really, obviously, negligent to lose that kind of case; for example if you were a struck-off doctor, with a skinful, who decided to perform surgery in the street before the paramedics arrived.
  • But: even if there's no real case against you, it's very worrying and expensive to be sued. That's what the insurance is for: you get expert legal advice and representation without having to pay for it.

So: you can do first aid without insurance, and it's perfectly legal - but having insurance gives you peace of mind.

Neither's quite right.

• Even if you have all the training and expertise and qualifications in the world, the ordinary law still allows someone to sue you if they think you've been negligent in your first aid. Doesn't happen much in real life, even these days.
  • But: If someone does sue a volunteer first-aider, the courts are very reluctant to take their side; the courts don't like the idea of discouraging voluntary good deeds. You'd have to be really, obviously, negligent to lose that kind of case; for example if you were a struck-off doctor, with a skinful, who decided to perform surgery in the street before the paramedics arrived.
  • But: even if there's no real case against you, it's very worrying and expensive to be sued. That's what the insurance is for: you get expert legal advice and representation without having to pay for it.

So: you can do first aid without insurance, and it's perfectly legal - but having insurance gives you peace of mind.

Thanks for that :) However I was implying that it's a sorry state that others feel they have to check first... I wouldn't be one of those, I'm happy to say that I'm there to help (if I can).

However, with my St John's qualification they cover you with their insurance for 'bystander first aid'. So like in this scenario rather than at your workplace or if you provided the service at an organised event.