Banned for driving in a car park

A woman who was caught on CCTV dragging a man in a wheelchair behind her car has been handed a two-year driving ban.

Maria Adams drove up and down the car park of Tesco in Roker, Sunderland, as her friend held on to a towel hanging out of the boot of her Nissan Juke.

I know a few people that have practiced driving before they were road legal, in a car park. Surely a car park is not classed as a highway, it is private land?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-29848021

It's land that the public have access to and therefore falls under the Road Traffic Act unless the car park is gated (ie with no public access).

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

"She was disqualified from driving for two years, ordered to pay £1,369 prosecution costs and a £60 victim surcharge. She was also given a four-month curfew and a 12-month community order".

Seems a bit harsh though considering what some chavs do on the main roads-stealing a car & failing to stop etc. Maybe there was a bit more to the story. Moosey, would you say the £1300 prosecution costs indicate an initial not guilty plea?

Who was the victim?

Thats harsh considering the dare devil in the wheel chair was a willing participant, no one was hurt and not damage was caused.

It's land that the public have access to and therefore falls under the Road Traffic Act unless the car park is gated (ie with no public access).

Yip and No. If you drive on private land with the owners permission nothing anyone can do…. Lets say a farmer field. No fence No gate But you ask > Can me and my friends drive our NO Tax No insurance None road legal motor bikes on your land. Mr Farmer says yes. Nothing anyone can do about it. The same would apply if the nutter in this example asked permission. If they did ask and was granted permission then nothing the police or anyone could do about it.!

---------- Post added 01-11-2014 at 02:21 ----------

Why do you think you see signs on Tesco etc car park: Park at your own risk, we will not be liable for any lose of contents etc. Its because it is private land! They can do what they like. If they give permission to drive a car with no tax MOT bla bla, Nothing anyone can do!

---------- Post added 01-11-2014 at 02:23 ----------

If the land owner gives permission then go for it. BUT You cant just decide to drive about without permission.

The 'willing participant' needs a clout around the ears too.... Wheelchairs are there for disabled folks, not joyriding clarkson wannabees.

"She was disqualified from driving for two years, ordered to pay £1,369 prosecution costs and a £60 victim surcharge. She was also given a four-month curfew and a 12-month community order".

Seems a bit harsh though considering what some chavs do on the main roads-stealing a car & failing to stop etc. Maybe there was a bit more to the story. Moosey, would you say the £1300 prosecution costs indicate an initial not guilty plea?

Definitely went not guilty. It's a public car park though so standard traffic law applies.

Who was the victim?

I'd say the stores customers that have to borrow the wheelchairs as if they are broken they can't shop

It's a public car park though so standard traffic law applies.

I assume that it is just insurance, tax n MOT rules that apply; as in many places where on land that the public have access to, there are no standard highways compliant signs.

I assume that it is just insurance, tax n MOT rules that apply; as in many places where on land that the public have access to, there are no standard highways compliant signs.

Other offences apply too.

The definition of road in the RTA includes roads or other public places to which the public have access. For that reason car parks like Asda would fall within the definition. I've had clients arrested for drink driving in car parks before.

Other offences apply too.

The definition of road in the RTA includes roads or other public places to which the public have access. For that reason car parks like Asda would fall within the definition. I've had clients arrested for drink driving in car parks before.

As I recall there is a fairly famous case of a farmer nabbed for drink driving on his own land. He was running a gymkhana and the court held that since the public had access to the land for the event it temporarily was part of the highway.