Trick or Treat question.

I also like the Mexican 'Day of the dead.' I think the innevitability of death is very much swept under the carpet in this country, when it should be seen as part of the human experience. We ought to make more of All Hallows day (1st November) and honour our dead and our anscestors, like they do in China and other parts of the world.

Growing up in California, we were very heavily influenced by Mexican culture. All Souls Day coincided with the Day of the Dead, and us kids were forced to attend mass, (my family was Catholic).

To soften the blow, afterwards the priests and nuns handed out small bags of calaveras to everyone as a treat.

While I didn't look forward to the calaveras as much as Halloween trick or treating (HELLO FREE CANDY!!!), the day was a reminder that life is indeed short, and that death could come at anytime for any of us.

---------- Post added 05-11-2014 at 22:35 ----------

I watched a couple more videos from previous years too. They are funny, but some of those older kids are something else. I'm undecided about what's more horrifying: that parents are managing to raise such entitled little monsters, or that they're happily provoking and filming prime examples of their offsprings' behaviour and offering it up to viewers of Jimmy Kimmel's show and 34 million+ YouTubers all over the world.

Pure comedy gold :hihi: .

I know, I feel bad laughing, but it is funny! Miraculously, a couple of the kids weren't bratty and were very sweet, the little boy who said "it's ok", then hugged his mother. Awwww.

I don't think I would have filmed my kids and I THANK GOD Youtube wasn't around when I was a child, because this sort of "joke" is right up my dad's alley. And I'm sure I would have been one of the screamers. :hihi:

Actually, when I was a kid, my mum was very much against it - called it tempting the devil or some such. Even when I first started teaching, it wasn't supposed to be mentioned in school, considered very anti Christian. But it wasn't a big thing then anyway.

Now it's come over from America as Trick or Treat and gets bigger every year, but I like it.

I also like the Mexican 'Day of the dead.' I think the innevitability of death is very much swept under the carpet in this country, when it should be seen as part of the human experience. We ought to make more of All Hallows day (1st November) and honour our dead and our anscestors, like they do in China and other parts of the world.

My Irish grandfather died in the evening on the Day of the Dead. He once told us that when he was a young lad in Ireland it was a custom to light a nice cheerful fire in the grate and place chairs around the fireplace for the souls of the dead to meet and talk.

Then there was the Banshee which I first heard of at around five years of age. That caused me a fair bit of bother for a time at that very young age until my father who was English said

"Don't let them scare you lad. Banshees only hang around in Ireland" :hihi:

I like any Mexican celebration including Cinco De Mayo (Mexican Independence Day) which is celebrated widely in California. The music plays, the tequila flows and the pretty senoritas dance

Aaaaaayyyyyeeeeaaah ! :hihi:

---------- Post added 05-11-2014 at 23:02 ----------

Do you, by any chance know my father? :hihi:

Obviously it's case of great minds thinking alike :hihi:

Edited by Harleyman

You give them a treat or they play a trick on you I guess.

I'd always assumed that so this year I asked all of them "What's your trick?" and no one could answer it.

I'd always assumed that so this year I asked all of them "What's your trick?" and no one could answer it.

One of our neighbours got eggs thrown at his windows when it was obvious that he was in but didn't answer the door.

Having bought some treats I was mildly disappointed not to get any trick or treaters. Wish I'd have bought chocolate now instead of gummy sweets then I would have enjoyed the treat myself::P

Having bought some treats I was mildly disappointed not to get any trick or treaters. Wish I'd have bought chocolate now instead of gummy sweets then I would have enjoyed the treat myself::P

Ye that old chestnut :hihi: ''I didn't hear the door go''

I did feel sorry for this little lass who comes in the shop I work in (on commonside) She had about 4 things in her trick or treat bag. I felt sorry for her so said for her to get something off the shelf and id pay for it.... She didn't mess about got a couple of quids worth of goodies :)

Ditto here. We normally get a few groups come round so bought in a few bags of fun size chocolate bars. No one came so we're forced to eat it all ourselves.

jb

...I know, I feel bad laughing, but it is funny! Miraculously, a couple of the kids weren't bratty and were very sweet, the little boy who said "it's ok", then hugged his mother. Awwww.

I don't think I would have filmed my kids and I THANK GOD Youtube wasn't around when I was a child, because this sort of "joke" is right up my dad's alley. And I'm sure I would have been one of the screamers. :hihi:

I'll admit to an 'awww' for the placid little boy who said 'you must have a belly ache', and the really small one whose dad was filching his sweeties from his plastic pumpkin (poor little bugger looked awfully distressed). A few of the others looked like they would have benefited from a swift visit from Father Karras.

If you're out and about in my neck of the woods during the early evening of Halloween you mostly see groups of little children in costumes with a few supervising adults going door to door. Later on you get the older kids who've made little or no effort at getting into the spirit of things and are all about the sweets/money. Neither group seem to have caught on to the 'trick' part of trick or treating; it's rather like Penny For The Guy-ing has moved back a few days.