2 Car Insurance Questions!

And surely, if each car occupant's headrest is correctly adjusted for their height, it should eliminate the problem (in low speed knocks) in any case? It may also save them from serious injury at high speed. Perhaps that should be made mandatory, like seat belts.

I've been driving 20 years and have yet to have a car where the head rest sits against the back of my head. I've never seen anyone's do that come to think of it.

Added to that in rear end stunts it makes no difference as the injury is caused by moving forward away from the headrest.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I've been driving 20 years and have yet to have a car where the head rest sits against the back of my head. I've never seen anyone's do that come to think of it.
Well, they are adjustable. I'm, sure someone with a better knowledge of physiology than I do, could advise as to the optimal position relative to the occupant's neck/head/spine.

Added to that in rear end stunts it makes no difference as the injury is caused by moving forward away from the headrest.

Surely whiplash can only be caused in frontal collisions anyway? (Head carries on moving forwards when car stops suddenly - unlike rest of body which is restrained by seatbelt - then is flung backwards as in the movement of a cracked whip. A headrest would surely lessen the impact of that injury? Before headrests were built is as standard, people died from broken necks in relatively minor collisions. Edited by aliceBB

You can't account for lack of knowledge of the impact, head rotation (ie looking out the window), simply having weak neck muscles, etc... There's no 'safe' speed.

Same car different area .Car parked down drive .storm blew a roofing tile off.which hit and dented the car bonnet Fully comp insurance, would not pay for

repair, house insurance would not pay either.

Any experts out there who can tell me ,why not ??

We had a taxi run into the back of our Shogun a few years ago the damage to our car seemed minimal at the time as the taxi was moving at few a miles an hour, he hit the tow bar on our Shogun and made a real mess of his taxi as the tow bar smashed trough the front grill and radiator, steam and water all over the place I had a look at our car and there seemed no damage at all.we exchanged details and we drove off...I rang the insurance company and informed them about the bump,the next day we got a phone call from a no blame no claim type mob,I said no one was hurt and no damage was done to our car there is no reason to claim anything..they insisted we must claim and they would arrange a medical appointment for us to attended.it was ridiculous as I said to the doctor there's nothing wrong with me..he said tell them you have hurt your neck and back and have had a few days off work I'll send a report in saying the same..we were awarded over £3,000 in the end what a rip off no wander insurance is so high nowadays,the funny thing is when I went to plug the caravan cable into the socket on the back of the Shogun the connection had been damaged in the bump by the taxi it shorted the electrics out and burnt the wires out in the caravan lead...:mad: I could have claimed for that in the first place if I had seen it,I would have felt better claiming for that then for fictitious injuries....

---------- Post added 02-11-2014 at 11:12 ----------

Same car different area .Car parked down drive .storm blew a roofing tile off.which hit and dented the car bonnet Fully comp insurance, would not pay for

I had a similar thing the garage roof blew of and landed on one of our cars the insurance said it was an act of nature and there is nothing they can do..

I can see why your car insurers might balk at that one, but your house insurance should cough up, surely. In a storm once, my parents' chimney pot blew offand smashed through the neighbour's garage roof, damaging it and their car. My parents' house insurance paid up for everything - but that was to a 'third party'. I wonder if you are not covered under your house insurance for damage to your own vehicle when it's parked on your property? Seems very unreasonable. Check the exclusions to your policy and if it isn't specifically excluded, ring your insurer/broker and demand a proper explanation as to why it is not covered. Then change your insurer, if you are not happy (and tell them you plan to do that).

---------- Post added 02-11-2014 at 12:22 ----------

I had a similar thing the garage roof blew of and landed on one of our cars the insurance said it was an act of nature and there is nothing they can do..

This is nonsense. What on earth is insurance for, if it is not for unpredictable accidental damage? Don't let them fob you off.

Edited by aliceBB

I can see why your car insurers might balk at that one, but your house insurance should cough up, surely. In a storm once, my parents' chimney pot blew offand smashed through the neighbour's garage roof, damaging it and their car. My parents' house insurance paid up for everything - but that was to a 'third party'. I wonder if you are not covered under your house insurance for damage to your own vehicle when it's parked on your property? Seems very unreasonable. Check the exclusions to your policy and if it isn't specifically excluded, ring your insurer/broker and demand a proper explanation as to why it is not covered. Then change your insurer, if you are not happy (and tell them you plan to do that).

---------- Post added 02-11-2014 at 12:22 ----------

This is nonsense. What on earth is insurance for, if it is not for unpredictable accidental damage? Don't let them fob you off.

Yes I learnt the hard way with that one the garage was not covered by house insurance the motor insurance said if it had been in the garage when it happened they would have paid out as I informed them that the car was stored in the garage over night what a scam...

Thanks Alice, never thought of that avenue. No doubt there will be something

in small print that lets them out of the corner.

I sometimes wonder .why bother with insuring anything ,as I usually end

up paying for damage or repairs

If your house burns down you probably won't end up paying for that... You'd hope.