Hillsborough tram gate

Can you name a Pro Car Council?

I have never heard of one. Perhaps you could post

where one exists.

Rotherham have introduced free parking at weekends in Council car parks, in the run up to Christmas.

Rotherham have introduced free parking at weekends in Council car parks, in the run up to Christmas.

Most Councils have a Christmas parking offer, including Sheffield.

Tory run councils also tend to be better because they are ideologically libertarian.

Really? Four of the top five councils for parking fines from last year were Tory-controlled at the time and had been for years - Westminster, Kensington, Hammersmith and Wandsworth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23518194

Boris Johnson hasn't scrapped the congestion charge either.

Why don't you stop lying?

Just wondered if the Tram Gate was clear this evening? While the rest of us were stuck in the snaking traffic down Walkley bank Road to the bottom of malin bridge, and the other way down to rivelin valley road and along. The diverted route since the bridge on Walkley lane is shut. 40 minutes To get from top to bottom. The joy:rolleyes:

What time was the problem. I came back from Infirmary Rd Tescos just a few minutes short of seven. There was no traffic on the diversion route through to Malin Bridge.

---------- Post added 14-11-2014 at 08:50 ----------

The camera is about 6 houses before Ripley Street, on a tram post for overhead wires.

it takes you passing the blue sign, just after Ripley Street.

If you want to know more, I'll sell you my copy for the fine I received, £30 ono;)

Can you not pass that sign in order to access Rudyard Rd?

---------- Post added 14-11-2014 at 08:52 ----------

there is a 5 minute window that the cctv operator will stop enforcing the restrictions i.e. he will stop issuing at 10.55am on. if your clocks correct you will be fine. they also give a 5 min grace period when the bus lane starts. just make sure your clock ir right as theirs are set against the atomic clock which they go by

Sheffield council have their own atomic clock, wow!

Most Councils have a Christmas parking offer, including Sheffield.

Ate they doing the extremely generous free parking after 3 pm just on a Wednesday again. ? :roll:

Or are they going to actually wake up and make the city centre appealing to shoppers and give free parking everyday after 3 pm and free all day Saturday and Sunday , which would be the obvious thing to do .?

I won't hold my breath on the latter happening though as that would require common sense being applied , something you can never accuse the council of using.

What time was the problem. I came back from Infirmary Rd Tescos just a few minutes short of seven. There was no traffic on the diversion route through to Malin Bridge.

only if you live on rudyard rd and have the residents permit

It was 5.20 when i got to the the top of the allotments on walkley bank road, and 5.55 when i pulled onto the one way system. That was clear

Ate they doing the extremely generous free parking after 3 pm just on a Wednesday again. ? :roll:

Or are they going to actually wake up and make the city centre appealing to shoppers and give free parking everyday after 3 pm and free all day Saturday and Sunday , which would be the obvious thing to do .?

I won't hold my breath on the latter happening though as that would require common sense being applied , something you can never accuse the council of using.

Why would you think giving free parking after 3pm every day, or free at weekends would make the city centre "appealing to shoppers". Most commentators say that the retail / visitor "offer" is what attracts people, it's nothing to do with parking prices.

Where is your evidence that parking prices make any difference?

People who come into a city centre expect to pay to park. The Council have less than 20% of the available parking spaces in Sheffield city centre. Are the private sector going to give free parking?

Why would you think giving free parking after 3pm every day, or free at weekends would make the city centre "appealing to shoppers". Most commentators say that the retail / visitor "offer" is what attracts people, it's nothing to do with parking prices.

People who come into a city centre expect to pay to park. The Council have less than 20% of the available parking spaces in Sheffield city centre. Are the private sector going to give free parking?

Can you answer my previous question to you please.

hmm what shows that free parking would entice shoppers.

I've spent today going to three retail parks, Cortonwood, Yorkshire Outlet and Meadowhall Retail Park.

free parking

had to queue to get in to each one, then a good five minutes trying to find a space.

The city centre could only dream of such footfall, all affluent shoppers buying loads because they can fill their cars close by.

Thats proof enough for me.

The Council can't use the lack of car parks as an excuse when they chose to sell them off to hotel chains and the like.

THE COUNCIL expect people to pay to park , not shoppers/ visitors . When a business (which the city centre is) has its main competitor a couple of miles down the road you have to look at what your competitor gives the customers and at least match that to stand any chance of competing ,but better it if you can to entice people to spend their money with you and not your rival business ( meadowhall).

Now the one thing the council can do to try and entice people away from its rival is match the free parking that they offer ( even though the council dont control all the city centre parking ) . The council can take the lead and show initiative . Is that such a difficult concept for this council to comprehend. ?

---------- Post added 15-11-2014 at 19:15 ----------

Can you answer my previous question to you please.

hmm what shows that free parking would entice shoppers.

I've spent today going to three retail parks, Cortonwood, Yorkshire Outlet and Meadowhall Retail Park.

free parking

had to queue to get in to each one, then a good five minutes trying to find a space.

The city centre could only dream of such footfall, all affluent shoppers buying loads because they can fill their cars close by.

Thats proof enough for me.

The Council can't use the lack of car parks as an excuse when they chose to sell them off to hotel chains and the like.

Where as well as charging to park the council make it as difficult as possible to drive into the heart of the city in an effort to get people to use public transport , which is no good for shoppers wishing to buy lots of things because getting them home on the bus/tram is a no no ,so they go elsewhere, go somewhere that actually caters for people with cars and welcomes them with open arms .

I would like to know Which City Centre private car park operator

would ever have free parking, after all charging to park is their business.

Perhaps Mr Penistone could enlighten us how this could happen

Edited by bazjea