Allergy tests do they work

Hi,

We too have a choc lab with allegies, as does his brother and a ew other from the litter. We had him at one vets who couldn’t find the answer. Then swapped vets who refered him to an animal hospital st St Helens. He had varuous tests and it turned out he had a slight beef intolerance but his main allergies were various types of pollen from trees and grass and house dust mites. He had to have a series of injections that were made gor him and imported from Germany every 6 weeks (luckily funded by his insurance) so this would hopefully build up an immunity to them. He had them for about a yr and they did work to some extend. We stopped them to see how he got on and although he does still scratch it’s no where nr as bad as pulling his fur out. We have to be careful where we take him and always wipe him down after a walk with a damp cloth to get off any pollen. We also hoover everyday to help with dust mits. You can buy a spray from the vets that kills them all in your house but you have to leave the windows and doors open all day and the pet can’t be in so we can’t do it in winter! We also had to take up our rug and buy him a special pet allergy bed which we wash every few days.

We have tried, biscuits, raw food and tins and non of the food swaps make a difference,

Piriton twice a day seems to be doing the trick with the spots . His main diet is beef and salmon and he's been fine for months . I know he has a problem with pork but I think it is something in the environment possibly trees . We've just ripped all our conifers out and put a fence up so that might help . But our garden still backs out on to trees so maybe boosting his immune system somehow will help. Where do you get your pet allergy bed from? I have no faith in the vets finding out what it is so I do it myself through elimination .

Edited by rubydo1

Make sure there is no Ivy in the garden also as ours rubs himself on ours we have to cut if all back all the time! We got it from Oscars pet food, they have a website but my lady delivers, our dog is also on their allergy pet food

I had the allergy tests done and my dog had the specially tailored course of anti allergy shots for 12 months. I think the end cost was about £1000 . It made absolutely no difference at all. I've changed food, carpets , bedding etc as advised over the last few years, but still have to give her steroids. Nothing got rid of her itchy skin completely. There are the new Apoquel tablets now available that do not have the same side effects steroids do. Perhaps ask to try those ?