Anybody remember 'Frizettes' from the 50's

Does anybody remember 'Frizettes', popular in the 1950/60's. Made by Crestona, came in a sage and onion stuffing sort of pack. They were small rounds of batter sort of things usually fried after the bacon had been cooked in the pan?

It rings a bell but I can't say that I have any lasting memories of this product.

Mike

I remember them, and have looked for a recipe to re-create them but with no success. Probably wouldn't be considered very healthy nowadays!

Absolutely loved them,wish they still made them.

I remember having them in the early 1960s. They were a sort of batter mix flavoured with tomato & onion; I think there were other flavours. I heard that they were still available in Italy as "Frizetti" but I have looked for them without success when on holiday there.

I remember them, and have looked for a recipe to re-create them but with no success. Probably wouldn't be considered very healthy nowadays!

I found this on-line. Here's the recipe:

Try this-

In a large teacup and using a set of measuring spoons add

3 tablespoons plain flour

1 tablespoon pea flour

1 dessertspoon cornflour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon celery salt

Mix the dry ingredients well and then add enough cold water to make a smooth dropping batter, a bit thicker than Yorkshire batter. Get the fat in the frying pan smoking hot and drop teaspoons of batter into the fat scraping the back of the spoon on the cup to stop drips. Fry until bubbles appear over most of the surface and the bottom is a nice golden brown then flip over to brown the other side. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with eggs and bacon.

I found this on-line. Here's the recipe:

I will give that a try, thank you.

Does anybody remember 'Frizettes', popular in the 1950/60's. Made by Crestona, came in a sage and onion stuffing sort of pack. They were small rounds of batter sort of things usually fried after the bacon had been cooked in the pan?

Yes. I have been trying to remember what they were called. Thanks!

Where can you buy pea flour from?

I would imagine a health food shop?

On 26/10/2014 at 15:30, sedith said:

I certainly remember them from the early 60's. I can almost taste them now just thinking about them. I'll have to try your recipe.  

Also in the same era, coming as a powder in a packet, dark blue I think, was a mix for potato croquettes.  I can't remember the name. 

Long ago, when Frizettes stopped being made, I devised my own recipe if anyone wants to try it.

I never had quantities but it was pea flour (maybe chickpea flour would be easier to get these days?) and if you used 4 tbs of that, you'd probably want 2tbs  of dried onions, 1 tbs cornflour, S&P -   put all that into a processor- whizzer until it's all blended into a homogenous flour. 

If you also have dry garlic powder, a teaspoon of that too but I used crushed garlic from a jar so added that at the batter stage. Mix with enough warm water to make a batter and let it stand 15 mins.  It'll absorb water as it stands so you may need to add a smidgen more to get the right consistency.

Drop spoonfuls into an oiled pan (or use  the bacon fat if its for breakfast) and decide if you want more onion or more/less garlic etc..  Adjust to your own taste.

Let me know how it goes.

If you can get pea flour, made from dried green peas, that's definitely the best.

Let me know how it goes 😀