Russell Brand's alternative politics

There will be plenty of people queuing up to take your place so the business will just carry on making money which is good for everyone.

What a cheek Smithy. You been sussed, again!

There will be plenty of people queuing up to take your place so the business will just carry on making money which is good for everyone.

True, they'd need training, the job would need advertising, both cost a lot of money. Then once the new starter has experience, they'll be off and the cycle starts again. Would have been cheaper to give the pay rise to the original member of staff.

True, they'd need training, the job would need advertising, both cost a lot of money. Then once the new starter has experience, they'll be off and the cycle starts again. Would have been cheaper to give the pay rise to the original member of staff.

The next employee could be more grateful for the job so work harder, the old employee sounds ungrateful for the job and will likely keep demanding more and threatening to strike if they don't get it, most employers would be happy to get shut.

The next employee could be more grateful for the job so work harder, the old employee sounds ungrateful for the job and will likely keep demanding more and threatening to strike if they don't get it, most employers would be happy to get shut.

You're an oddball Smithy and you need to shut your rattle!

No, the first employee was the best at the job. They just felt like they weren't respected by the boss who wouldn't pay them enough for the hard work they did. The first employee was there from the start and knew the job inside out. Every other employee isn't a patch on them. The boss continues to take all the profits for themselves and each new employee jumps ship after a year or so.

---------- Post added 30-10-2014 at 22:42 ----------

You're an oddball Smithy and you need to shut your rattle!

Let's listen to what he has to say tonight though. You never know, a little bit of humanity might shine through?!

Russell Brand has been talking about a political revolution for a year now.

He has been attacked for being naive and a hypocrite. People seem especially offended that he says 'don't vote'.

At the same time a lot of young people share this dissatisfaction with mainstream politics.

Here in Sheffield quite a few people went to a screening last week of his conversation with Owen Jones in which they explored his ideas a bit more. I was there and a few things struck me:

1.He says 'don't vote', but he doesn't say 'and sit on your arse'. He says 'get out and take action, organise, form new networks, and help each other'.

2.He is positive. He thinks the capitalist system is screwing us and the planet, but he thinks it can be changed, and he promotes other people's positive ideas and actions.

3.He says its not the immigrants, benefit claimants and powerless who are to blame. He says its the corporations, the establishment, those with power.

4 He doesn't say 'follow me, I have all the answers'. He says 'I'll amplify the voices of those that are not heard'.

It feels like he's the only person saying these things in the mainstream media. And a lot of people hate him for it.

I'm wondering if there are other people here who want to talk about these things. Not about him as a person, but alternative politics.

"Alternative", he's a communist anarchist isn't he?¿

I'd be out like a flash. I wouldn't want to work for someone that didn't pay well while the business was earning a packet.

A good boss invested in there staff, treats them well, rewards them and makes them feel like they're important.

---------- Post added 30-10-2014 at 22:07 ----------

I'd expect a pay rise if the small business I work for starts to take off, especially if my work was integral to the companies performance!

Yes a good boss / business invests in there staff, treats them well, rewards them and makes them feel like they're important.

So money can be one part of an overall package of things to make staff loyal to the business.

Would you be loyal if the company you worked for treated you like a dogs body and made you feel like crap, maybe to the point it was effecting your health as long as they payed you a nice chunk of change each month.

Money alone doesn't automatically equate to a more loyal member of staff it's only one possible part of an overall package of things.

Edited by pb1977

No, the first employee was the best at the job. They just felt like they weren't respected by the boss who wouldn't pay them enough for the hard work they did. The first employee was there from the start and knew the job inside out. Every other employee isn't a patch on them. The boss continues to take all the profits for themselves and each new employee jumps ship after a year or so.

In there opinion which is obviously very biased, and obviously unknowable.

:thumbsup: absolutely spot on post.

---------- Post added 31-10-2014 at 07:30 ----------

Is that how it works these days fatty?

shame on you stan dont you know insults are against Forum rules??

:thumbsup: absolutely spot on post.

---------- Post added 31-10-2014 at 07:30 ----------

shame on you stan dont you know insults are against Forum rules??

I apologize ab, I thought you UKIP types could handle a bit of banter and plain speaking?

Edited by Stan Tamudo

In there opinion which is obviously very biased, and obviously unknowable.

No, it's a fact.

I know I'm arguing with a troll here, aren't I Smithy?! But, your opinion Harleyman's on the minimum/living wage and the people that earn it is appalling.

You talk about them like their failures and they need to be punished by only getting £6.50ph. I bet you'd reduce the wage if you could, wouldn't you?

No, it's a fact.

You can't possibly know that you are the best person for the job because not everyone as had the opportunity to do the job, hence it isn't a fact its just your biased opinion.

Lets assume you are correct and the boss decides to reward your hard work, all the other employees that do the same job but not quite as well as you get wind of your pay rise so they also demand a pay rise or threaten to walk.

The boss now as a bigger problem than he would have had by letting you walk.

So lets assume he gives in and gives them all an equal share of the profits, and for a couple of years everyone is doing well, the boss bought your loyalty and everyone is happy.

But then increased competition from other companies starts to affect sales, the only way to keep sales high is to cut the sale price of their products, at the same time material prices, energy prices and all their other overheads are increasing. The boss calls a meeting of all his loyal workers, explains the situation and tell them that the only way to keep the company going is for everyone to take a 20% pay cut.

Do you remain loyal and stay at the lower wage or look for another job.

Edited by SavannahP