Which bus lanes and gates actually serve a useful purpose?

Youtube.

Anecdotal comments.

Reports paid for by vested interests.

Magazine and newspaper stories pandering to their readers.

All are excellent sources of categorical proof that the AA and RAC could take to the High Court to end parking enforcement.

When this is done our town centres will be so clogged with parked cars, lorries and vans that no buses, trams or cars, lorries or vans could get about their business and we would not need bus lanes.

When this happens most of us would resort to walking and cycling to get about. This would be quicker than in any vehicle which are no so slow moving that the roads are safer.

So ending parking enforcement would lead to safer roads, less pollution and fitter people and all based on the categorical proof which is presented to us time and time again.

Barrie Segal, Peppipoo memebers, NoToMob, some builder from Camden and various other parking campaigners have all successfully sued various councils. Corruption is rife amongst various councils and a UK parking revolution is on its way....

If public transport is to be effective, it must be free, reliable and plentiful. Small sparsely populated cities like Sheffield should easily be able to manage traffic flow. Greedy corrupt Parking Services officials have destroyed more small businesses and once thriving shopping centres than the Luftwaffers.

Barrie Segal, Peppipoo memebers, NoToMob, some builder from Camden and various other parking campaigners have all successfully sued various councils. Corruption is rife amongst various councils and a UK parking revolution is on its way....

lol those names sound like a hip hop crew Oo

Not quite the excellent sources of categorical proof that the AA and RAC could take to the High Court to end parking enforcement.

There's a bus lane that works very well, although not as intended. At Beauchief crossroads the bus lane into town is slmost totally ignored, although motorists clearly know what it's there for. Buses do too. They drive down the outside lane and get let in at the head of the queue. If the lane were legally enforced it couldn't make it work better!

Bus lanes are brilliant! The ones that only operate for 2 hours a day are a numpty free zone for the rest of the day. It's great when you can undertake all the queuing morons who can't read road-signs or tell the time and sit there tutting at the naughty person in the bus lane.

Hasn't there been talk of removing the bus gate down the Wicker??

Funnily enough there was a bit on Radio 4 about it. It said that following Liverpool's decision to remove it's bus gates, Sheffield had also considered it, but following public consultation, had decided against it.

Well Nobody consulted me, in fact I never saw mention of it anywhere.

Did anybody else? Were you consulted?

That one is crucial, it's chaos down there at the best of times even with it in operation.

Especially when your traffic light is at green but the way is blocked by a stationary tram or a bus going across.

On the theme of bus lanes but on a slightly different note, has anyone driven in a bus lane with cameras at all and not been fined ? I recently drove though a bus lane by mistake though totally my own fault, I waited for a month for a ticket that never came. I did the lottery at the end of that months but didn't win !!!

No , they are there to fleece motorists with their snide scameras . That is why they exist .

On the money.

Angel1

They play a vital humanitarian role. The few occasions when I have to commute by bus, I'm desperate for the experience to be over as quickly as possible.

When I commute by car on the other hand, I really don't mind a bit of queueing.

The bus lane on Abbeydale Rd heading out of town is actually useful at rush hour, shame about the arseholes that seem to think it's OK to park in them. When they're clear the buses can do exactly what they're supposed to and get passed the standing traffic.