Does marriage matter?

My auntie summed it up well : All these 'weekend dads' you see in the park with their kids... makes you wonder if they'd have managed to stay married if only they had done the same thing sooner
Mmm ... lovely

I'm now a weekend Dad. I gave up a well-paid job to be home for tea-time, I packed in a sporting hobby to have family time, I attempted (or offered) to take the kids out every evening after tea, I was the nappy changer, I did bedtime routines and stories.

Mum did her bits too, so not to diss her for that

Sad thing is, the adults failed to get on and the kids suffered in the fallout.

Wish your auntie a nice day from me, and tell her to continue making her ill-thought judgements.

---------- Post added 22-10-2014 at 15:30 ----------

Con-culture relies on one thing, you swallowing the hype. Ooops!
Absolutely ... well kind of .. but like I said, it's not swallowing the hype from the industry, it's being think-skinned in disappointing those around you (family/friends) who expect better Edited by hyper

Funny how a significant portion of this thread is about weddings and about what happens if things go wrong. When I got married I used my full faculties, I knew that if things were to go wrong I would discuss them with my wife. Something we do to this day and, to me, the secret of being married for a long time (we've only been married for ten years and together for fifteen, but I am pretty confident when I say that this will last until either of us passes away).

We got married with just direct family, took all 13 guests to a nice restaurant for an excellent lunch and in the evening had a nice bash at our house with friends and more family. It was great and it still only cost us less than 3,000 euros. My brother got married and they had a budget of 30K, it was their choice and I am pleased they made their choice and stuck to it.

I think there is a further narrative related to this by the way, when I grew up I had lots of friends who had divorced parents, a lot of those kids now got married themselves, they have seen how a marriage can go wrong and what the consequences are, they entered into the agreement despite this, I reckon that gives longevity!

I got married 20 years ago. I did it for all the right reasons, to provide security and comfort for my girlfriend. To provide a secure environment for my unborn children. To please my parents and hers.

When I got married there was no right of my spouse to get half my business. The law has now changed. The change was made by some smart ass lawyers changing the law AFTER my contract with my wife. But I have to abide by this. It's the law. My advice to my children will be not to get married. It is iniquitous and unfair. It can mean that one has to stay in a relationship that one doesn't want to. Ultimately I'm pleased that I did stay, but if I didn't, I couldn't escape from it anyway, without being essentially bankrupt.

Does marriage matter? Too right it does.

I got married 20 years ago. I did it for all the right reasons, to provide security and comfort for my girlfriend. To provide a secure environment for my unborn children. To please my parents and hers.

When I got married there was no right of my spouse to get half my business. The law has now changed. The change was made by some smart ass lawyers changing the law AFTER my contract with my wife. But I have to abide by this. It's the law. My advice to my children will be not to get married. It is iniquitous and unfair. It can mean that one has to stay in a relationship that one doesn't want to. Ultimately I'm pleased that I did stay, but if I didn't, I couldn't escape from it anyway, without being essentially bankrupt.

Does marriage matter? Too right it does.

It is possible to get a post-nuptial agreement these days that would restore parity. Although of course that depends a lot on whether your missus is up for that :)

It is possible to get a post-nuptial agreement these days that would restore parity. Although of course that depends a lot on whether your missus is up for that :)

Of course that depends on the other party being willing. And in many cases they are not. Just go and grab the money. And to keep coming back for more.:gag:

Of course that depends on the other party being willing. And in many cases they are not. Just go and grab the money. And to keep coming back for more.:gag:

You sound like you've been screwed big time Ron?

You sound like you've been screwed big time Ron?

I get screwed a lot :D

I get screwed a lot :D

By the sounds of it in all the wrong places!

By the sounds of it in all the wrong places!

lol :hihi:

It matters to some people, and not to others. It's a personal choice which people should be left free to make.

Indeed :nod:

---------- Post added 22-10-2014 at 23:27 ----------

Stop speaking sense on this forum. You know it isn't allowed :hihi:

:hihi:

///////

Sure I read somewhere that if you're not in a grounded, loving relationship by the time you're 45 the likelihood is you never will be, especially if you've been in previous failed relationships marriage/s, emotional baggage being the hurdle.

That sums me up, I am 52, in a relationship, but a way to go yet ;)

Weddings and marriage are different things.