Where to look for adult apprenticeships/trainee positions?

I'm a 32 year old (Kiwi) guy with loads of customer service/sales experience but it is boring me so I want to do what I always have and get stuck into a trade like plumbing (I travelled ALOT when I was younger).

I have experience on sites as a labourer and a ceiling fixer back in NZ and even a TV aerial installer in Australia.

My question is how would I go about this as an older starter? I've looked at the usual sites and applied to all the vacancies I've seen but all seem targeted to 17-24 year olds. And I never get a response.

Are there people out there willing to take on a hard working, dedicated adult as an apprentice/trainee? Heck I am even willing to pay all my own costs for training and courses and such!! I just don't want to do the course and have nowhere to use the skills after.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Do you have a CSCS card to enter building sites, If not then that's a good start otherwise no employer will be interested.

You can do courses at learn direct free.

I am an Apprentice expert in this sector for 20 years. The government funds training providers to take on apprentices but at present they will only pay for anyone who is 16- 24 years of age. They have to have an employer and the employer pays the apprentice £2.73 p hr in their first year of training. The apprentice gets a free qualification, job experience, and if they prove their worth possibly an offer of employment with their placement after the 12 month period of training. If you are over 24 you cannot access an apprenticeship unless you find an employer willing to take you on and who will also pay for your qualification. This is why you will not receive any replies to your applications as you are deemed "too old". The only way you can become skilled in a different job is to pay for your own qualification rather like paying to go to university to get a degree. If you need anymore information plse contact me.

I'm 33 and would love the opportunity to train with a web development agency i'm self taught in HTML and CSS with a basic knowledge of JavaScript.

However i've had no success upon contacting agencies for training any ideas how i could possibly begin a career with a well established agency in Sheffield?

Thanks in advance.

I'm 33 and would love the opportunity to train with a web development agency i'm self taught in HTML and CSS with a basic knowledge of JavaScript.

However i've had no success upon contacting agencies for training any ideas how i could possibly begin a career with a well established agency in Sheffield?

Thanks in advance.

I suspect you are going to have to invest in upskilling your expertise in Java .NET and .PHP as Web development has moved on from HTML and CSS.

Good luck :)

Hi Steve thanks for your valuable feedback much appreciated :)

Edited by dt25uk
missed word

You say you are prepared to pay for your training? A level 3 ICT qualification is funded by the government only up to age 24 to the value of approximately £6K. Therefore you are going to have to approach the companies you wish to work with, with your CV and any experience/portfolio of work or voluntary work relevant to the job role. You will need to add that you wish to fund your own qualification and would they consider you. You will be competing with University Interns and Apprentices though but a direct approach and good covering letter may get your foot through the door.

We've advertised trainee development roles for a number of years now and never had a single reply from anyone in the Sheffield area.

We were happy to spend time providing on the job training and pay above the going rate.

We have advertised marketing roles with not a single applicant from Sheffield.

Maxster you truly are quite unique and I would say with my experience with having to turn away 'unfunded' applicants for apprenticeships that you could offer a real opportunity to young people. Training providers and other organisations are currently working with the government to offer 'traineeships' perhaps you should make enquiries. They are required to improve young people's skills and find work placements for them to experience the world of work. You could contact Sheffield City Council as they are currently working to improve skills levels across the region.

niknaks not sure how to take your comments but I'll take them in the spirit you have written them; here's some experiences.

Last year we took on an apprentice. Very little development skills so we started on java & C++. After 6 months he was gone. Always late, no enthusiasm, had very little writing skills. We persevered but in the end he left.

Just taken on a junior developer - well see how that goes.

Spoke to SCC but I wouldn't waste my time any more. Don't return calls and when they do it can be over 6 months since you asked them to call; complete non starter.

Spoke to the local comp school for kids who wanted trainee developer positions. The careers officer was less than helpful but said he had 6-8 kids who would be suitable; never heard from them since.

The last developer we took on is from Glossop and over 50. Never late, great development skills and a joy to work with.

Edited by Maxster

Maxster i would love an opportunity with your company if there was one going could we possibly have a chat about it?