No more selling on eBay.

So the purpose of my thread is just to discuss the selling side of eBay.

I have been a member of Ebay now for around 7 years and from a buying perspective I still love it.

From a selling perspective I hate it the reason is its just constant issues in the past couple of months I have sold about 6 items with values of £50-100 each and I have had none paying bidders, people taking weeks to reply, and most recently a return request where I am backed into a corner by eBay terms.

I sold an HTC 8X which was fully tested and worked fine, the buyer received the item and then said the phone wont play through headphones so i replied to the buyer advising to send it to HTC as it is still in warranty.....buyer replied saying he isn't sending it to HTC and wants a refund only.....the buyer then messaged me saying if I pay him £30 he will keep as is......which annoys me because I know it is working fine eBay have sent me my options which are 1) provide full refund and he keeps the item 2) provide full refund and he returns the item 3) offer part refund.... but absolutely no option to refuse on the grounds I know it is working fine.

Option 2 it is then and call their bluff

If they send you back the same phone...Or a phone at all and not just an empty box

eBay is going downhill rapidly imo

I don't get the problem. If they say it doesn't work then they send it back, when you get it back and make sure it's the same working phone and they aren't trying to scam you, then refund them. If they don't send it back, it's not your problem.

I sold some 9V batteries once that were in date and had never been used. The guy then said he'd tried them on a multi-meter and they were duff. Asked him to send them back so I could check them before refunding....oddly enough I never heard from him again.

People will try anything. Just tell the person to send it back if they want a refund, just make it clear you won't pay postage and if they send it back to pay postage to cover the cost of the item for insurance.

eBay is going downhill rapidly imo

Yep and PayPal.

Have you had the notification that you've been force-enrolled into the Global Shipping Program (or somesuch) yet?

That's just about ended it for me, I'm waiting to see if and how I can 'un-enrol' first.

If I can't, then I'll be closing my account (15 years old this year, that's how long it's taken eBay to go from good, to great, to superb, to eventually utter-s****e-not-worth-a-sideways-fart-compared-to-Amazon-&-others).

@Bladesman: FYI, eBay and Paypal have, or are very soon to, part ways.

I agree with probedb. Give him the option of a refund but only once phone is back in your hands. That way the ball is in his court. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he never gets round to doing this.

The main reason I try and avoid ebay is their ludicrous fees, that said, it can be really hard to shift some items any other way.

My sentiments are with Loob exactly.

15 years of using eBay as well, 1000+ feedback, about 25% selling but mainly buying. The site has been rigged so far in favour of the buyer that I just don't sell anymore.

Because there are less people like me and Loob selling, the site has become less interesting for buying too.

Edited by milquetoast1

The main reason I try and avoid ebay is their ludicrous fees, that said, it can be really hard to shift some items any other way.

Indeed, I'll sell small/cheap stuff but they take too much to be selling expensive stuff on there.

My sentiments are with Loob exactly.

15 years of using eBay as well, 1000+ feedback, about 25% selling but mainly buying. The site has been rigged so far in favour of the buyer that I just don't sell anymore.

Because there are less people like me and Loob selling, the site has become less interesting for buying too.

Never sold couldnt be bothered, but quite a few friends sell when they want a clear out and are pleased at getting money for junk they didnt want.

Completely agree that its much less interesting for the buyer than it used to be, but it still has an amazing vairty of stuff on there, so I havent found a viavle replacement. Its also a shame that the postal prices went crazy.

Its a shame sellers have a hard time because its poor/nightmare buyers who give the rest of us a bad name. Ive always tried hard to keep my 100% rating, paid on time and never had caused any hassle, although ive been defrauded a few times.

Always take plenty of good photos, packaging also. Note any serial numbers and discreetly mark any "vulnerable" parts. Make it a condition that upon delivery it is signed as "unchecked" just in case it's damaged in transit, and to return it (in the same condition) asap if they are dissatisfied.