Is It Time Ecclesall Road Was Made One-way?

It and London Road are the main arteries to the South West of Sheffield as well as being busy shopping streets. Its a shame that the tram wasn't extended out that way. I'm sure it would have been welcomed. I know that lots of people use buses after parking up at Whirlow.

It and London Road are the main arteries to the South West of Sheffield as well as being busy shopping streets. Its a shame that the tram wasn't extended out that way. I'm sure it would have been welcomed. I know that lots of people use buses after parking up at Whirlow.

The busses are bad enough pulling in and out. Stopping in car lanes holding car drivers and shoppers up often. Having the tram down there would be a nightmare.

I avoid it unless I'm shopping or going to a restaurant/bar. Just use another route for commuting. There are plenty of other routes.

I don't do this often, but praise for the bright spark at SCC who introduced short term parking. Great for the businesses.

The busses are bad enough pulling in and out. Stopping in car lanes holding car drivers and shoppers up often. Having the tram down there would be a nightmare.

I avoid it unless I'm shopping or going to a restaurant/bar. Just use another route for commuting. There are plenty of other routes.

I don't do this often, but praise for the bright spark at SCC who introduced short term parking. Great for the businesses.

Defending the buses somewhat, if people respected the bus lanes/stops then the buses wouldn't have to sit in the car lanes. Again, it's about consideration on all parts.

Defending the buses somewhat, if people respected the bus lanes/stops then the buses wouldn't have to sit in the car lanes. Again, it's about consideration on all parts.

Sure, but when there's a perfectly good bus stop and they stop in the main carriageway so as not to lose their place in the traffic. This holds everyone up. Then there are the really annoying ones who stop in the traffic just to wait to let another bus out.

There are enough alternative routes around Ecclesall Road to make the entire length car free and leave access for public transport, business vehicles & bikes.

There are enough alternative routes around Ecclesall Road to make the entire length car free and leave access for public transport, business vehicles & bikes.

At very least at weekends over the summer shut it to everything except access, pedestrians and cyclists, and rollerbladers, and skaters, and skateboarders and families, allow kids to play, and allow the restaurants , bars etc to put out tables in the carriageway - Free Ecclesall Road

The difficulty is that there are far more vehicles on city roads than they were ever designed to serve. No matter how many bus lanes, traffic lights, parking restrictions, or one-way systems we introduce we'll soon clog up any space created.

Ecclesall Road is a classic case where a through route, shopping centre, and housing suburb all vie to use the same space. Buses might help, but not enough.

With so many people all wanting to be in the same place at the same time the only solution is an underground network. Of course we all know the London Underground, but Glasgow has one, and the Tyneside Metro is most effective.

We need to bite the bullet. Tram/train to Stocksbridge may be easier to construct, but an underground Supertam serving high density population areas like Ecclesall Road and Abbeydale Road would pick up a lot more people. (Taking the tram to Dore on the line of the railway fails to connect sufficiently closely with densely populated areas and would have difficulty finding park and ride sites.)

Where there are large numbers of people is where public transport scores, but is of best benefit when not sharing with other users, like cars, pedal cycles and pedestrians.

There is masses of space beneath our feet. The Victorians would have got digging - over 3.5 miles for Totley Tunnel alone. It's money and will that hold us back. Let's at least find the will, then we can find the ways and means.

I suspect local businesses wouldn't stand for it

.....an underground Supertam serving high density population areas like Ecclesall Road and Abbeydale Road would pick up a lot more people.

There is masses of space beneath our feet. The Victorians would have got digging - over 3.5 miles for Totley Tunnel alone.

This thread gets more insane by the post. An underground tram would cost billions. An overground tram on those roads would be fine. It would be much, much cheaper to build and easier to access.

Totley Tunnel isn't underground in the same sense as the London tube and Glagow Subway are. It was cut through a hill and is at the same ground level as Totley and Grindleford.

This thread gets more insane by the post. An underground tram would cost billions. An overground tram on those roads would be fine. It would be much, much cheaper to build and easier to access.

Totley Tunnel isn't underground in the same sense as the London tube and Glagow Subway are. It was cut through a hill and is at the same ground level as Totley and Grindleford.

The London Underground isn't under a hill. The greater part of the underground system is beneath sea level making it far more difficult to construct and maintain.

The entirely underground Glasgow Subway was opened in 1896 and is similar, although much smaller in scope, see; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Subway

The Tyneside Metro central Newcastle section is most effective because it is underground, see; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyne_and_Wear_Metro

Reasons why not in Sheffield? Money! Any overground solution is cheaper, but far more disruptive to life both during and after construction than an underground system. It's true that most underground systems are in national capital cities - but not all are, as I've illustrated.

One way is not an answer that could bring lasting benefits, but would create further major issues all around.

London and Glasgow grasped the urban congestion nettle in Victorian times. Tyneside came to the same conclusions 40 years ago. The future of mass travel in urban areas will have to include use of the space beneath our feet - or we will be quicker travelling on foot.

Edited by 1978

I think the time for building an underground system has passed, you won't get the money to do the project in this day and age.

Pity really, because a massive construction project like that would have been perfect for the late 1980's when all the mines were shut.

Instead of laying everyone off and causing all the problems just chuck everyone back underground and have them build tunnels instead of dig mines.

A bunch of recently laid-off miners would have been in their element building new tunnels underground.

I think the time for building an underground system has passed, you won't get the money to do the project in this day and age.

Pity really, because a massive construction project like that would have been perfect for the late 1980's when all the mines were shut.

Instead of laying everyone off and causing all the problems just chuck everyone back underground and have them build tunnels instead of dig mines.

A bunch of recently laid-off miners would have been in their element building new tunnels underground.

Underground transport systems are still very much in favour, like Cross-rail, but that's London, see; http://www.crossrail.co.uk/

People scoffed at Supertram - including me! Windows of opportunity can open. I suspect the Tyneside Metro got through one of them. Manchester's Metrolink (although on the surface; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Metrolink) has had the advantage of an extensive suburban surface rail network to build on and got through others.

Once the Cross-rail team is finished there will be tunnelling expertise and equipment available. Will it all be lost, or will it be captured for other projects?

Edited by 1978