Which pointless bus lanes / gates would you abolish?

The bus lane leading to brookhill roundabout.

Pointless, there aren't enough buses running down there anymore to justify it.

All of them need getting rid of in every town and city. All they do is take up valuable road surface which could be used by other traffic . you see these stupid bus lanes sat empty whilst next ot them there is a massive queue of traffic squeezed into one lane all because of anti car councils who are obsessed with giving cattle wagons priority.

Same with bus gates , priority given to the minority over the majority. Both bus lanes and bus gates are used to fleece motorists of money on a daily basis .

3. Existing bus gate on Boston Street - soon to be upgraded to full bus lane (left hand turn only) with cash generating enforcement camera. What is the point of having a bus gate / lane here for the sake of the No 22 bus, which passes through every 12 minutes and the No 4 bus, which is even less frequent? Again most drivers ignore this bus gate and it doesn't cause any significant traffic conjestion / issues. When the bus lane / camera goes into operation, it will force the majority of traffic using Cemetary Road onto either London Road or Ecclesall Road causing even further tail backs in a morning.

Drivers ignoring the bus gate DO cause a significant delay to the 22 bus schedule. This is even more severe when the queue of cars (none of which should be present between the hours of 0730-0930) extends further than Napier Street combined with cars queuing to join Boston Street from Napier Street.

I have been on the 22 bus on more than one occasion where the driver has had to use his radio to request police assistance to clear the queue of traffic.

3. Existing bus gate on Boston Street - soon to be upgraded to full bus lane (left hand turn only) with cash generating enforcement camera. What is the point of having a bus gate / lane here for the sake of the No 22 bus, which passes through every 12 minutes and the No 4 bus, which is even less frequent? Again most drivers ignore this bus gate and it doesn't cause any significant traffic conjestion / issues. When the bus lane / camera goes into operation, it will force the majority of traffic using Cemetary Road onto either London Road or Ecclesall Road causing even further tail backs in a mornin

that one is no joke in a morning , when you actually drive a 22 , set off from nether edge on time , fill up the bus & get half way down cemetery rd & stuck there queueing with cars going thro there illegally ..... often making you 10 - 15 minutes late in town & making folk late for work or connecting transport just cos folk wont drive the correct route for 90 mins out of a whole day , the bus gate is only operational 8am - 9.30am , it doesn't operate at teatime like most others do ...... not everyone can afford a car , or can't drive because of medical conditions etc , maybe they don't want to drive its not up to me to ascertain why folk use a bus rather than drive .... hope one day Mr Plod is round there with his notebook & / or camera & issues a few nice bills for ignorance , why should they make others late just so they can lig in bed till the last minute then dash thro bus gates , due to childcare issues & other commitments it maybe the only bus & time they can get &have ignoramii making them late !!

Guest sibon

Same with bus gates , priority given to the minority over the majority. .

How many fit on the 52 bus? How many fit into your Landy?

Do you have GCSE Maths?

Both bus lanes and bus gates are used to fleece motorists of money on a daily basis .

They really don't fleece the motorist. They are simply a tax on stupidity.

They really don't fleece the motorist. They are simply a tax on stupidity.

Ya don't drive in or thro a bus lane / gate or park in a bus stop - ya don't get fined , simple really innit !!!!

you can go earlier , go a different route , a bus can do neither !

I can't see how the new bus lane on Penistone Rd is warranted. There is 1 bus every ten minutes. Even when full, that's less passengers in the bus than if cars used the lane with 1 passenger per car.

Firstly abolish the 24hr. bus lanes, we don't have 24hr buses.

I would really get rid of most of them, they are there to accommodate private companies making a profit. All bus companies are owned by shareholders, and therefore making a profit. Taxis are allowed through bus lanes, once again people out working to make a profit, so what about lorry drivers, van drivers etc, why shouldn't they be allowed through bus lanes, they also are working to make a profit.

I can't see how the new bus lane on Penistone Rd is warranted. There is 1 bus every ten minutes. Even when full, that's less passengers in the bus than if cars used the lane with 1 passenger per car.

Might be a better shared bus/cycle lane than the joke of a shared path?

The bus lane suspension in Liverpool has been really good for drivers, and was recently extended.

Might be a better shared bus/cycle lane than the joke of a shared path?

Possibly, I don't think it's appropriate to dedicate that much tarmac to cyclists and the occasional bus though. (And I say that as someone who cycles more than I drive at the moment).