Are there any/many females in the building trades?

Hi I'm a female joiner and notice that when I purchase materials there are so few woman working in the trade. Are there many on the forum or are they as invisible as they seem?

Along time ago I trained at college, and not a single woman was to be found on carpentry courses, it was all hair and beauty for the girls and manual trades for the boys.

That was 30 years ago, I don't think the has been much of a leap in the way women are viewed generally, it's sadly often thought by the guys I see think women in trades are either very butch lesbians or too ugly for the beauty trade which of course is nonsense.

Good for you in doing your own thing, I often do propery projects and the trade counter is a meeting point of how much men haven't evolved in the 30 years, I've been knocking about with a hammer and chisel.

I've seen a few cars with signs saying female decorator on them, so there is a few

Talk to the Women's Construction Centre. There seem to be women in most trades but not that many of them.

I'm doing construction at college and there's 2 girls on my coarse aswell..

I fear there has been a backward slide in the career aspirations of women in the last decade. I'm not in the building trade but I am in a male dominated field. I have been in Science for over thirty years and seen some changes. I have worked in production jobs, laboratory, waste treatment, sales and constancy. I did see more women around ten to fifteen years ago but more recently they seem more interested in celebrity, hair and beauty or other careers such as event planners or media. I used to see a few women HGV drivers but not seen many recently.

I worked with a young PhD Scientist who declared she wanted to be a WAG. Heaven knows why she botherd with the PhD!

Good luck in your career! I have found that most men will respect you if you can do the job.