Loads of Lady bugs!

Visiting the folks in Norwich and there seems to be loads of them here too. They're called bishy barnabees here, just to add to the name debate!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Yes same here, but the one's that flew in yesterday don't look like our native ladybirds?

Ok I've been doing some reading. It doesn't seem anyone entirely knows why lady birds are so called. The lady part of lady bird comes from the virgin mary and may be something to do 7 with spots. They were called lady beetles, lady bugs and then finally lady birds - in ENGLAND. The bird part possibly changed simply to do with the fact that bug is bit too close to another word for sodomy.

Secondly, why do we get so upset when americanisms creep into our language. Language is a constantly varying thing, its just something we have to accept. We quite happily use all kinds of french words in every day language - cul de sac, brunette, abattoir, a la carte,savoir faire etc. How is this any different?

We've had most french words from after the battle of Hastings and to converse with the French conquerors you had no option BUT to use the French words but Americanisms no! We use to use phrases like "continuous" now "it's back to back" another import, we had chips now the word "fries" is taking over, we had bread cakes now they are "buns" and one word really somes up my dislike of all Americanisms and that's " Guys or Guy". I'm a bloke.

Lady Bug?? I'm sick of Americanisms creeping into our language, they're Lady Birds!!!

Grow up for crying out loud :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 29-10-2014 at 12:54 ----------

We've had most french words from after the battle of Hastings and to converse with the French conquerors you had no option BUT to use the French words but Americanisms no! We use to use phrases like "continuous" now "it's back to back" another import, we had chips now the word "fries" is taking over, we had bread cakes now they are "buns" and one word really somes up my dislike of all Americanisms and that's " Guys or Guy". I'm a bloke.

Allegedly :rolleyes:

Grow up for crying out loud :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 29-10-2014 at 12:54 ----------

Allegedly :rolleyes:

So I can't express my opinion?

Fear of change...do you think people will talk like you do in 100 years? Do you think people talked like you do 100 years ago? No and no, language will be and was subtly different. It morphs and varies as cultures mix. Particularly now that we are all so globally connected. Its just something that happens so just embrace it and relax!

fear of change...do you think people will talk like you do in 100 years? Do you think people talked like you do 100 years ago? No and no, language will be and was subtly different. It morphs and varies as cultures mix. Particularly now that we are all so globally connected. Its just something that happens so just embrace it and relax!

awesome just awesome

Cannot believe there is all this debate about the names of critters.

I have always known the black or orange or yellow bugs as ladybugs, only the red with black spots are lady birds.

Really, what is the issue?

Ps, I am not American, have never been to america and do not really care what they call them in america either.

We have identified ours as the harlequin variety. These are killing our native ones.

Don't mind ladybirds/bugs so long as we don't get an influx of spiders.

---------- Post added 02-11-2014 at 21:26 ----------

I always found ladybird pretty anyway

---------- Post added 02-11-2014 at 21:27 ----------

s.............