Embarrassing yet sincere question.

My wife has done a fair amount of work through PPH and my understanding is that they have to put up 50% of the job cost into PPH before you start the work. This means that if, when, they don't pay you at least get half your money.

Was this the case for this specific job and did you contact each other solely through PPH or use alternate means?

jb

I did initially - he came to me in the same workstream with an extra project to build a social media website for pregnant families. It would do all sorts of nifty things for pregnant families - and you create a timeline of such, which get's output to a cool family album at the end! it was a really good idea. Anyway, we drafted up the specification and got it ready - and he accepted it and phase 1 of it took place.

Having done a couple jobs for him prior, and him being prompt with paying - I didn't bother setting up a new proposal, but the specification and acceptance messages are all there on the workstream - so hopefully they work in my favour.

I got a message from 'him' earlier (claiming to be PPH Admin) that stated;

51 MINUTES AGO

DCM Claims L.

Message by PPH Admin - Dispute cancelled. Unclear reasons for invoice being rejected in the first place. Seller to raise invoice again.

47 MINUTES AGO

Canary Digital C.

Lol, nice try Carl. PPH don't message members from your account. Just pay your invoice... and all this can blow over nice and smoothly. Trust me, if PPH don't recover the amount you owe me, I'll take it down the next correct channel.

I have the sites I worked on readily available to go back on the server, including the external Database for Virtual Births. Pay my invoice and you can have them. Don't pay my invoice... I'll just seek the funds through disputes - and if I have to take it further than PPH, I'll be adding further costs on. If I have to recover the costs by means of an external source, then whatever - when I get my invoice value, I'll be leaving you alone.

If I don't get my invoice satisfied at all by the 30th October (breaching your 30 day terms) - I'll rebrand the Virtual Births website, finish it's development in less than a week - and launch it myself, since I own the intellectual property rights on it. And if you use my code - I'll sue you even further for theft of intellectual property.

And Carl. I will know. Whenever my code runs - it processes logging to my server for debugging - and you cannot stop it from doing so, unless you know how to decode an MD5'd base_64 encoding. I'll give you a hint - you can't. Full stop, period, not a prayer, more chance of braiding a light fog. So I'll know.

He's basically just cheating me out of £554-odd, because it's probably too steep for him, something which was CLEARLY outlined and accepted on the specification, in terms of hourly rate and time to develop Phase 1.

Could you 'mothball' the car for a few months (if you can put it somewhere safe) Would bus fares be cheaper?

Someone might have a microwave to spare on here or on freegle, if it can't be repaired.

I wish you the best of luck.

I don't know anything about mothballing. :') It costs me about £10-£12 a week to drive to work, from one end of the parkway to the other. I think buses would actually be more expensive as an actual travel cost. I dunno, I need to do something. Either need to sell it and clear the finance, or grin and bare it until 1st December when I'll be financially stable again, having the car arrears disappear.

Rob - please check your inbox for PMs from me!

Thanks Lady, spotted those! Will get to reading them now. :)

Other people should learn from this! dont buy what you can afford in cash, Save a good % of your spare money for rainy days.

Sorry about what happen to you. but this will make you a much more better person when you get though it. it will stop you spending on things you dont really need

Other people should learn from this! dont buy what you can afford in cash, Save a good % of your spare money for rainy days.

Sorry about what happen to you. but this will make you a much more better person when you get though it. it will stop you spending on things you dont really need

That's right, if you want a house better wait until you've saved £180K before you buy it.

jb

That's right, if you want a house better wait until you've saved £180K before you buy it.

jb

As I have said before on here about debt. A mortgage is the only debt a person should have if only because you can't really avoid it. Things like cars should only be paid for in cash which you have saved for.

House prices do go up so it is an investment. Most new car loss 40% of their value in first year and if you dont have more then enough in bank to buy it outright. then you cant afford it!

I'm really glad something positive can come out of my misery and desparation.

Guys - learn from my mistakes - don't buy anything on finance - ever - just incase you start working for a business who is actually in the process of going bankrupt - and needed someone to finish outstanding jobs really quickly. If you do - you WILL go 3 days without food because you're so far in the ***** that you simply don't have a single penny.

Edited by treetonrob

So you Have a nice car and house yet you can't afford to eat? Poor you I hope you Have enough to pay your sky TV bill still

I'll keep pondering the fact that my car is to blame for this - whilst I sit here in my freezing house with no gas supply, contemplating opening the one tin of something with no label on it and eating it cold.

Thanks for your advice owltillidie.

---------- Post added 16-10-2014 at 18:45 ----------

So you Have a nice car and house yet you can't afford to eat? Poor you I hope you Have enough to pay your sky TV bill still

Yes - things I bought whilst earning 30 grand a year. Now I'm not...

My Sky TV is off, so are my landline and mobile phone, i only have an internet connection because I managed tp get it free for 6 months. My gas supply is turned off, i've got an attachment to earnings for council tax I wasn't supposed to be paying, and arrears on my car, from a period when I lost my job.

When I've said I'm destitute - I'm not messing about - I'm literally destitute. I'm sat in the dark with no tv on or anything - to preserve the 10.95 on my electricity meter.

Nice house, nice car - it's because I worked hard and earned them - just because I have them - it doesn't mean I'm financially stable now and able to afford anything else. It's just a **** situation i've found myself in, that i didn't have any control over.

If it wouldn't take even more than it's worth in fuel costs to get up to mine I'd tell you to invite yourself around for dinner and a hot shower a couple of times a week. Do you not have any friends who could put an extra couple of spuds in their dinner and let you watch their TV from the warmth of their sofa?

If this really is a case of getting through the next 2 months only, then would toughing it out be an option if you had a microwave and a bit more food until then?

I agree that the car is being a millstone around your neck at the moment BTW.

If it wouldn't take even more than it's worth in fuel costs to get up to mine I'd tell you to invite yourself around for dinner and a hot shower a couple of times a week. Do you not have any friends who could put an extra couple of spuds in their dinner and let you watch their TV from the warmth of their sofa?

If this really is a case of getting through the next 2 months only, then would toughing it out be an option if you had a microwave and a bit more food until then?

I agree that the car is being a millstone around your neck at the moment BTW.

Yeah I'd loved to have had my friends for that - but I've not seen any of them for years and the ones I would kind of still keep in touch with - live down south. Just grew apart - relationships and careers and all that stuff - lol.

I do agree that the car is a huge factor in this problem - it's just that it's not the sole reason like a few others seem to think it is. :/

I'll keep pondering the fact that my car is to blame for this - whilst I sit here in my freezing house with no gas supply, contemplating opening the one tin of something with no label on it and eating it cold.

Thanks for your advice owltillidie.

---------- Post added 16-10-2014 at 18:45 ----------

Yes - things I bought whilst earning 30 grand a year. Now I'm not...

My Sky TV is off, so are my landline and mobile phone, i only have an internet connection because I managed tp get it free for 6 months. My gas supply is turned off, i've got an attachment to earnings for council tax I wasn't supposed to be paying, and arrears on my car, from a period when I lost my job.

When I've said I'm destitute - I'm not messing about - I'm literally destitute. I'm sat in the dark with no tv on or anything - to preserve the 10.95 on my electricity meter.

Nice house, nice car - it's because I worked hard and earned them - just because I have them - it doesn't mean I'm financially stable now and able to afford anything else. It's just a **** situation i've found myself in, that i didn't have any control over.

So you was earning £30k , why didnt you save some for a rainy day? dont come on here crying and blaming other people. You cant be that stupid if you can find a job that pays 30K so why have a flash house/car and no underpants?