I need help with my car :(

I need a bit (or a lot!) of help with my car. Really don't know much about the mechanical side of cars but was after some info or advice so here goes. I have a fiesta (06 reg) and lately the door open sign on the dashboard has been on even when the doors shut. It started coming on initially and then dissapearing by itself for weeks. Its now come back on and wont go off. I know it locks for definite as i have remote locking and have checked the doors and boot so am assuming it is some kind of faulty switch/ sensor or maybe loose wires. Unsure which door but i have a suspicion its the front passenger side door as it came on when that door was opened/ closed. Although the doors locks (either through remote or manual locking) the inidicator lights/ hazard lights used to do a quick flash before to say that it had locked but no longer flashes. It does seem to flash when i open it though. Just wondering if anyones experienced this sort of thing or if anyone could direct me to someone that can help. Thanks im advance ?

I'm no mechanic, but here's my 2c....

Modern cars are packed with electronics, and they are notorious for going wrong and being a pain to fix (not to mention expensive). Back when they were just nuts and bolts it was all a lot easier to fix when something went wrong.

As for your specific issue, if I were in your shoes I wouldn't bother doing anything about it. Unless it was flashing, making a noise or doing something else that was annoying / distracting, it just doesn't seem worth shelling out to have it fixed. Just use the old fashioned method of checking doors are closed - ears and eyes.

hi you welcome to call me I can take a look thanks

Thanks for the reply. I can see where you're coming from and quite frankly it doesn't bother me the way it is but im wanting to sell the car so thought it might be best to get it sorted before i did. I did a quick google search and turns out quite a few people have had this sort of problem with fords.. How annoying ?. Appreciate your help though ?

Thanks for the reply. I can see where you're coming from and quite frankly it doesn't bother me the way it is but im wanting to sell the car so thought it might be best to get it sorted before i did. I did a quick google search and turns out quite a few people have had this sort of problem with fords.. How annoying . Appreciate your help though

Door switches fail on all manuafactures vehicles.Despite the doom and gloom of prescottspie's post its probably a very easy fix,such as a sticky switch.

If you googled it and it said lots of people have had this problem then there should be lots of answers.Maybe you dont need ours?

---------- Post added 14-10-2014 at 20:28 ----------

Some possible fixes

"Check the rubber 'gaitor' which carries the wiring from the bodyshell to the tailgate. Wiring fractures here due to flexing with repeated opening and closing of the tailgate. Just pull back the gaitor and inspect the wiring for failure. "

“WD40” on all the door switch contacts."

"Sounds like your boot light switch is playing up.

Check it for corrosion as that may be shorting the contacts. "

I had this problem with an old car of mine.

I fixed the problem by gaffer-taping an expired phone card over the door switch.

Hey presto! Problem solved, and the courtesy light doesn't come on when I'm driving.

Yes, it was a French car in case you're curious.

If it was a door switch the interior light would come on as well. As it says in the link in my previous post check the boot switch.

Modern cars are packed with electronics, and they are notorious for going wrong and being a pain to fix (not to mention expensive).

Not necessarily. They just need a bit of maintenance.

I can't speak exactly for the OP's Fiesta but a very similar thing happens to the boot on the Peugeot 307. Rather than a traditional mechanical handle, its a very light panel that you touch. Over time (going on for ten years) it accumulates dirt and grime and just needs half an hour to remove the panel, clear out all the crud and then its as good as new.

Its exactly the same on the power steering electrical connector. A year and a half ago the steering felt heavy. "Classic sign of pump about to go" said a 'mechanic'. However, I topped up the PS fluid beyond the MAX level (as stipulated by the Peugeot service bulletin), took off the wheel arch liner (probably for the first time in the ten years of the car's life) and cleaned up the electrical connector and re-proofed the connection with a waterproof wax spray. Not a single problem since and all it cost was an hour of my time. If I'd have listened to the mechanic he'd have put on a new power steering pump at a cost of ££££££££.

Much of the time preventative maintenance can avoid a part fail.

Edited by alchresearch

Thanks for the suggestions looks like I'll be busy with the wd40 tomorrow lol