Rod Rebuild or new? (Match / silverfish)

Hi guys,

I have an old 80s Shakespeare Mach 2 Boron 12ft splice tip match rod.

I have been using this for canal, river and pond fishing for years.However over the last 2 or 3 seasons i have noticed the whippings getting worse and worse to the point that i noticed a couple of the eyes were moving last time I used it.

The fast spliced tip makes the rod an absolute joy to use especially with ultra light hook lengths and mainlines.

I have been looking at replacement rods and most these days seem to be built to cater for use on commercials with no signs of spliced tips, and to be honest I prefer finesse fishing for roach & bream.

I have been quoted £70 for a complete rebuild including updating the real fittings to the Fuji type.

Before I spend this kind of money can someone suggest a modern rod for 70-100 that has a nice fast action ideal for silvers on canals and small ponds.

Cheers

at Skegvegas there is a tackle shop which sells reasonably priced rods but your best bet is a car boot sale. OH got a Diawa Sensor Z for £20. Any Diawa is a good rod. Or have a look on Ebay. I know someone who got 3 decent carp rods for 99p but you would have to be prepared to travel to collect them unless you only went for your local area

tackle manufacturers don't make spliced tip rods any more (that I know of) for 2 reasons, 1st as you've already mentioned, these days there's much more of an emphasis on commercials where carp are the main target, so people are wanting more powerful & more versatile rods that can cope with a wider range of uses so if a tackle company invested thousands into the design, development & production of a spliced tip rod they'd probably struggle selling them in any kind of numbers

2nd carbon technology has moved on so far now that they can manufacture a hollow tipped carbon rod (what we all used to call waggler rods) that's almost as thin & forgiving as the spliced tip rods of the 70's & 80's

Drennan have been producing excellent quality match style rods for decades now (as have a few of the other manufacturers) & have thoroughly embraced technological design advances, one look at their Acolyte Ultra rods will confirm that, but they are priced above your budget

However, you will probably be able to pick up a Matchpro Ultralight closer to your budget & these were the rod to own before the Acolyte's came along...

To replace your mach 2 with a rod as good would cost you a lot more than your budget. I would have the rings checked for any damage (a jewellers/watch repairers eye piece is perfect) and if they're ok simply have them re-whipped.

I have a 30 year old spliced tip rod which I use for stick float work and I wouldn't part with it.

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking in regards to a new rod.

But Charlie, I think you hit the nail on the head. This was my first ever, what I call first "real" fishing rod I got it with money earned washing about 300 cars when was 12! So I think I owe it the rebuild, the blank itself is pretty much mint.

There are a couple of damaged eyes so I think I would probably replace the whole set. The OCD in me would never be happy if 2 didn't match exactly with the rest!

I'd agree with that, if you replace it & it falls into further disrepair you'll only regret it in years to come

when I packed in fishing to follow teenage/early 20's pursuits I sold all my gear (none if it was top quality other than the abu 501 I'd saved so long for)

when I started fishing again at the age of 27/28 I started buying the best gear I could afford, but since then I've ended up plundering ebay for the same rods & reels I had as a teenager (including a pristine Abu 501 & a 506m - never had one of those but always wanted one!) - not to fish with, just for nostalgia

I wouldn't sell any of these items again

I'd like to add that the reason I wouldn't part with my spliced tip rod is not nostalgia,it's simply a damn fine piece of kit. It was built by Terry Smith in the early 80s and I've never felt the need to replace it. I use it with my old Abu 501 which has also stood the test of time.

Yeah I know mate, I wasn't suggesting that...

I was speaking about why I'd re-bought gear I had as a youth

try billy clarkes they used to stock match rods anything shimano or daiwa you won't go wrong

Why not just go for re-whipping, new runners and varnish? Forget the reel fitting if it is not really necessary as a modern type could upset the balance of the rod.