Do MOT details get added to a database?

MOT fail!! If i take my car to another garage (For second opinion) will they be able to check a database to see what it originally failed on?

They would need your log book to do so..

generally they won't even think about it unless you mention

I am an mot tester. .

tests can differ slightly from tester to tester.

hope this helps

yes once you have an MOT test done, as do your insurance details of people who are allowed to drive your car, apart from you they will need to know the names of the people insurance to drive it, it tells them when the MOT expires and the tax. there's no getting away with any thing it anymore all traffic cars are fitted with a ANPR machine and also the every day patrol cars have them since the new laws came into force, so if anyone thinks they can dodge paying any of these things if you do not renew them when they due you may get a knock on the door make sure your all up to date, they seem to have got it all sewn up now with no way out . it was way to stop the thousands on motorists driving with out tax insurance or mot drive carefully and keep safe the father of a bobby

yes once you have an MOT test done, as do your insurance details of people who are allowed to drive your car, apart from you they will need to know the names of the people insurance to drive it, it tells them when the MOT expires and the tax. there's no getting away with any thing it anymore all traffic cars are fitted with a ANPR machine and also the every day patrol cars have them since the new laws came into force, so if anyone thinks they can dodge paying any of these things if you do not renew them when they due you may get a knock on the door make sure your all up to date, they seem to have got it all sewn up now with no way out . it was way to stop the thousands on motorists driving with out tax insurance or mot drive carefully and keep safe the father of a bobby

I read the question differently.

I read "do the details get added if the car fails?". Reason being I assume that some testers can be harsh and the OP is wondering if another tester would pick up on the same things just because they're on a recorded fail.

I could be wrong mind.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Yes just wanted to know if my car would fail on exactly same things If took it the car somewhere else, no plans to drive illegally in anyway..

An mot tester doesn't check mot history because it is irrelevant to them at the time of test, and has been stated by jbautos if it has been tested elsewhere they would need the v5 registration document to do this, on an mot computer in any case.

And before any balloon head know all's come along accusing me of not knowing what i'm on about or not being able to read, i'm also a class 4 mot tester.

---------- Post added 13-10-2014 at 22:58 ----------

Yes just wanted to know if my car would fail on exactly same things If took it the car somewhere else, no plans to drive illegally in anyway..

Technically it should fail on the same things, but testers have different opinions on excessive wear etc.

Thanks Dardandec and Jbautos the second opinion is only wanted because repairs to get it through test came up a bit pricey at a garage I took it to and a couple of things I expected it would fail on didnt come up all, I couldn't afford to put it through at time so have to take it back for retest anyway, so now I have cash together I though I might try out another garage :)

Always down to the testers opinions and one could say something is going to wear sooner that what someone would say. Neither is in the wrong as its there view at time of testing

An mot tester doesn't check mot history because it is irrelevant to them at the time of test, and has been stated by jbautos if it has been tested elsewhere they would need the v5 registration document to do this, on an mot computer in any case.

And before any balloon head know all's come along accusing me of not knowing what i'm on about or not being able to read, i'm also a class 4 mot tester.

---------- Post added 13-10-2014 at 22:58 ----------

Technically it should fail on the same things, but testers have different opinions on excessive wear etc.

Wow, you are just too good :rolleyes:

Always down to the testers opinions and one could say something is going to wear sooner that what someone would say. Neither is in the wrong as its there view at time of testing

There is loads of guidance for a tester regarding wear, bearing in mind something has to be excessively worn not worn soon etc, but the biggest problem for a tester is corrosion.

---------- Post added 13-10-2014 at 23:33 ----------

Wow, you are just too good :rolleyes:

Dont you know it babe ;):hihi:

Just take it to one of the council MOT stations, they only do MOT tests and no other work so they have no vested interest in the test outcome.

because I assume that is what the OP is worried about???

Mot's dont usually differ that much tester to tester, however i have known it happen where a garage has failed a car for a few things and the repairs would have been excessive.

My friend took her car to one garage it failed and they told her £260 to fix, i am no mechanic just cars are a hobby and when she told me what that price was for it seemed a little bit dodgy. I sent her to a garage I use and they said most of the things needed doing but it only cost her about £80 in the end and a year later car past again with no faults.

So even if mot test might be correct it always worth shopping around garages for repairs.