ALIGARGH in Crosspool

On 18/05/2019 at 13:46, MaxVinella said:

Have read that owners now have Rajput in Commonside.

Reviews I have seen for Rajput agree on good food, but bad service.

Hopefully new place with same cooks but different service staff.

I also read (in the very dull Crosspool Forum mag) that the owners run an Indian restaurant in Commonside but it didn't mention which one. There were two last time I looked - Rajput (nice food) and the other one 50m further up whose name escapes me and which I've never been in. It might refer to that one.

Edited by Bilge

Mmmm  .. there was another one,   called Ruchi ,   on the corner with Barber Road - but it has closed.    That's why I assumed was Rajput.

'Varanasi Inn' - opening soon says a temporary sign on the outside wall. It doesn't look like they've done much to the building or the decor so I'm not expecting much. But even an average Indian is better than  an empty building.

On 16/06/2019 at 21:26, Bilge said:

'Varanasi Inn' - opening soon says a temporary sign on the outside wall. It doesn't look like they've done much to the building or the decor so I'm not expecting much. But even an average Indian is better than  an empty building.

Interesting choice of name.  "Varanasi" is a city in the North of India, considered to be the spiritual home of India.  I haven't been personally, but I paid for one of my fellow Director's to go out there 2 years ago to a congress.   He said it was the most amazing experience - people are very religious and they revered him almost like some kind of God.  He also said they are burning the bodies of deceased relatives in big funeral pyres alongside the river Ganges.  

Image result for varanasi india

I hope this new Varanasi restaurant will capture the spirit of India and look forward to trying it.  

Guest makapaka

“ and they revered him almost like some kind of God.”

and all the natives chanted “hail  new master” and dressed him in flowers as their new idol 😀😀

Edited by makapaka

Opens 29 July it says on a sign outside. 

This morning had colorfoul baloons all round the entrance,  obviously the  opening party has occurred!

Well,  tonight we went to the Varasani in Crosspool,  and have mixed feelings.  

We had king prawn Malabar (tangy and not to hot, great flavour),  chicken Nawabi (a tikka sauce with extra herbs - nothing to  rave about), and a Garlic Tikka (nice and sizzling but the chicken was very dry).

The  service was very attentive but slow, the place was half full (not bad for a Thursday).   The decor was probably left by the previous owners, low lights with unnatural hues -  not pleasant imho.

The menu is a list, not  particularly explicit- which with waiters who do not know the dishes is not helpful. I asked were was the cuisine from, they could not reply except that it was from India.

I would probably not go back , both Maveli and a Urban Choola offer better food for my taste.

It will be interesting to have other opinions, may be was just me and a bad evening

Edited by MaxVinella

Was really looking forward to Varasani opening but so so disappointed.

Ordered a takeaway (no delivery but not important). Ordered Butterfly Prawns and Samosa starters, Chicken Tikka Masala, rice and Garlic Naans.  It was truly one of the worst meals which I have ever thrown in the bin.  2 tiny prawns - which tasted ok but ludicrously small. Samosas were good.  The Chicken Tikka Masala was appalling and to my mind inedible - I can only describe the sauce as Tomato soup containing  about  10 spoons of sugar. Bread - just wrong.   I love good Indian food and was bitterly disappointed - will not be going there again.

Edited by pattymumek
spelling

Guest makapaka

Sounds a shame if so. Was gonna give it a go tonight.

any other reviews?

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, pattymumek said:

Be interested to have your views Makapaka....

I didn’t use it in the end - when I do I’ll post.