Body insecurities

How do we feel when we look in mirrior every morning? New figures out today suggest 16 million of us feel depressed due to the way we look

any opinons????

We all have bits we would like to change, and in some cases, no matter what you do, those bits wont change.

You have to be happy in yourself and make the best of what you have..

As a big man (20+ stone) I can happily say that although my weight annoys me at times, I am happy with who I am and it is no cause for depression for me. I also happily admit being married to a lovely rotund and cuddly wife that I wouldn't swap for a skinny model even if they gave me a million quid.

Confidence in yourself is not exclusively related to your bodyshape, you will be good at something, make sure you excel at that and it will give you the confidence to deal with your body image.

It's great that you are happy with your 20+ stone weight but there is some doubt whether you will be equally happy a few years down the line when/if you begin to suffer from all the usual ailments due to obesity e.g. hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis. Looks are not important but health is.

I also happily admit being married to a lovely rotund and cuddly wife that I wouldn't swap for a skinny model even if they gave me a million quid.

Has she put the gun down yet?

any opinons????

Don't think about it. Instead, think about how temporary you are, and that in another 80 years or so (maybe less) everything you think is so important right now, won't even exist.

Best to relish each moment of life, without concern for petty trivialities.

What is supposed to be the perfect figure ???? skinny , fat ,tall ,short,is there a perfect figure ??

It's great that you are happy with your 20+ stone weight but there is some doubt whether you will be equally happy a few years down the line when/if you begin to suffer from all the usual ailments due to obesity e.g. hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis. Looks are not important but health is.

I am healthy, no high cholesterol, no high blood pressure, hardly ever have a virus that takes me down, I can run up and down a basketball court for an hour and a half, climb Scottish mountains, use the exercise bike at over 25mph for half an hour and so on. I am also 6'2. Sure I am 'morbidly obese' according to the doctors, yet none of them think I am about to drop down dead.

Has she put the gun down yet?

Every word is true pal :) we don't all like boney women!

I’m 6’2 and every time I look in the mirror after stepping out of the shower I think … God you are HOT! And to be honest I am.

I am healthy, no high cholesterol, no high blood pressure, hardly ever have a virus that takes me down, I can run up and down a basketball court for an hour and a half, climb Scottish mountains, use the exercise bike at over 25mph for half an hour and so on. I am also 6'2. Sure I am 'morbidly obese' according to the doctors, yet none of them think I am about to drop down dead.

The point is "do you" rather than "you can". I can bungee jump but I don't.

If you're running 25 mile for half an hour, climbing Scottish mountains, running up and down a BB court for an hour and a half, the chances of you being clinically obese is slim..if you'll pardon the pun. Clinically obese just don't do this type of workout unless it's part of a health goal or agenda. Obese today maybe non threatening, tomorrow could be, or most likely will be.

The point is "do you" rather than "you can". I can bungee jump but I don't.

If you're running 25 mile for half an hour, climbing Scottish mountains, running up and down a BB court for an hour and a half, the chances of you being clinically obese is slim..if you'll pardon the pun. Clinically obese just don't do this type of workout unless it's part of a health goal or agenda. Obese today maybe non threatening, tomorrow could be, or most likely will be.

I've just come back from my hour and a half basketball session. Three weeks ago I stood on top Creag Ruan (A "Graham" at 622 meters high), I haven't used the exercise bike last week because I had a cold, but have done on a regular basis this year.

I have always been big and I really don't care whether you think I am going to die/be ill because of my bodyshape, I know I am not.

PS: One of the most dominant basketball players of this century, Shaquile O'Neal was 7'1 and 23 stone. I know he has nearly a foot on me, but if you think he was unathletic because of it than you are wrong, he is also classed as obese according to the BMI index.

Edited by tzijlstra

How do we feel when we look in mirrior every morning? New figures out today suggest 16 million of us feel depressed due to the way we look

any opinons????

I think that's a shockingly large number and I wonder how much of it is due to the media.

It would be interesting to know the percentage of each gender that makes up that figure. I'm guessing that female makes up a pretty big majority, judging by the amount of body image nonsense that gets thrown at females.