My dog was on a big chain on garden someone let her off

Why?

What business is it of anyone else?

That sort of action could result in the dog being killed, either because its collected as stray and the owner can't afford it's release or sue to it running on the street.

If people have concerns over the health of a dog report it - then somebody who knows the law and requirements can resolve the issues.

---------- Post added 13-10-2014 at 12:29 ----------

They probably aren't the only ones based on some comments on here.

Its everyone's business when alarm bells are ringing towards animals being neglected,and skinny short haired dogs being out in the evening for prolonged periods,would constitute as neglect to a lot of people.

"What business is it of anyone else?" pfffttt:gag:

Lets leave it down to the neglected animals to make a complaint eh?:loopy:

And just to add,based on the OP's comments on this thread,its quite easy to pick up on several comments that make alarm bells ring.

Edited by SqueakyPete

Its everyone's business when alarm bells are ringing towards animals being neglected,and skinny short haired dogs being out in the evening for prolonged periods,would constitute as neglect to a lot of people.

"What business is it of anyone else?" pfffttt:gag:

Lets leave it down to the neglected animals to make a complaint eh?:loopy:

And just to add,based on the OP's comments on this thread,its quite easy to pick up on several comments that make alarm bells ring.

Like like like like like!!!!

It absolutely is everyone's business to care for animals, whether they are your own or anyone else's - they can't care for themselves and depend on owners and other good humans to care for them.

Nobody in a right mind should be able to ignore an animal that appears neglected or abused - that's just completely inexcusable!!!

You still didn't say what you feed your dog or how old she is. With any luck they will call you to collect your dog today, but i would take this as a lesson learned not to leave your dog out when you are not at home. You would not leave any other valued items outside unattended. Thing's could have been worse she could have been stolen or killed on the road. Can the police not do anything if you have the people who let her off on cctv?

I find it very hard to read your posts, but I will say that firstly there is NO WAY IN HELL an in-season bitch should be outside unattended EVER.

Male dogs can sense an in-season bitch from miles away and can go to extraordinary lengths to get to her.

I would advise you to look into an emergency spay right away as she could well already be pregnant and the last thing the world needs is more bull lurchers (not because there's anything wrong with them, in fact I'd love a staffxwhippet as my next dog, but because there are already too many and not enough good homes).

If you need to leave your dog outside unattended you really should build her a proper secure kennel/run. Lurchers are at high risk of being stolen - one was stolen and dumped near Barnsley just the other day, the owners were lucky to get it back alive. You also have a legal requirement to provide your dog with adequate shelter.

I do sympathise with you re the 'skinny dog' comments. A lot of people, even those in the trade, have no idea what a lurcher like yours should look like. I have a lurcher too and we frequently get comments which you just have to ignore.

I hope you get her back very soon but please, please keep her indoors from now on or at least securely in a kennel, you've already seen you can't trust your idiotic neighbours...

---------- Post added 13-10-2014 at 13:39 ----------

It absolutely is everyone's business to care for animals, whether they are your own or anyone else's - they can't care for themselves and depend on owners and other good humans to care for them.

Nobody in a right mind should be able to ignore an animal that appears neglected or abused - that's just completely inexcusable!!!

This is true however letting a dog off a chain to roam out and possible get into a fight, run over, or impregnated is NOT the way to go about it!

Nobody said it should be ignored. BUT what makes"you" the person to make the decision over what is neglect and abuse?

Leaving a dog secured in a back garden isn't necessarily abuse or neglect.

I've homechecked for at least one breed rescue who actually favours it,if the dog has potential to escape,some dogs aren't meant to be kept in 20 degree heat all day and night.

Releasing a dog into the public is the work of a person who has no idea of responsibility or common sense imho.

@willman - you may be correct about some dogs being more comfortable outside than in. Presumably you refer to those with good thick, double coats such as Huskies, GSDs etc. However, we are examining the case of this one dog who, by the admission of the owner is a short haired breed and potentially underweight. The weather has been kind to us of late but it is now becoming wet and cold. I hardly think that a dog such as the one described is having it's needs met by being tethered outside with no (apparent) means of shelter. In addition to this the animal is in season so has no means of escaping the attentions of stray entire males.

It is evident that the OP means well when he talks about caring for his dog but this is is limited by his understanding of the care needs of it. The best thing he can do is to ask for advice and to try to learn more about looking after the dog, in particular it's needs regarding diet, shelter and warmth. Importantly, as has been said, if he gets her back then he should take the dog to the vet immediately and get her speyed.

Nobody said it should be ignored. BUT what makes"you" the person to make the decision over what is neglect and abuse?

Leaving a dog secured in a back garden isn't necessarily abuse or neglect.

I've homechecked for at least one breed rescue who actually favours it,if the dog has potential to escape,some dogs aren't meant to be kept in 20 degree heat all day and night.

Releasing a dog into the public is the work of a person who has no idea of responsibility or common sense imho.

So who decides then? The RSPCA? Don't make me laugh.

Leaving a skinny, short-haired dog tied to a chain, with no shelter to keep warm, at the risk of getting pregnant, IS abuse in my opinion, and many other people's I'm sure. Why the hell get a dog to leave it tied up outside? I've got a lot of experience working in rescue so it surprises me that any rescue would recommend that? But anyway...

Are you saying people should turn a blind eye because its "none of their business"? That's how abuse, any type of abuse, is allowed to carry on. Because people turn a blind eye. Maybe you are familiar with the following quote from Edmund Burke:

"'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Now I'm not saying the OP is evil, but you get the theory behind it. I understand that it may not be the best decision to let the dog free, ideally you would take it home, but then that's theft. Either way, I couldn't see a dog suffer day in day out. From experience, I have very little faith in the RSPCA, so I'd have to do something. And in the case, it seems its worked out for the dog as someone seems to be taking notice of its welfare.

I have read through this thread and I do agree - purposely letting any animal off their tether to wander is an idiotic thing to do:loopy:.

If it was my dog, which it wouldn't be outside without us anyway - but each to their own, I would definitely NOT be leaving it again if your neighbour has let it off the chain on purpose. I would definitely be onto the police to see what they are doing about your neighbours actions!! - it could have all ended very badly for your dog. You could erect a tall fence - but saying this - a lurcher could easily hurdle a 6ft fence if it wanted to do so - even this is not fool proof.

I would do as the others have suggested and leave her nice and warm and safe in her crate in the house whilst you are out.

Just one final point, if you are leaving your dog out in cold weather then this could be why she is 'skinny' - as there is skinny and SKINNY - irrelevant of breed - short/fine haired dogs don't cope with cold well. I know, certainly with horses anyway and I can't see why it should be any different for dogs, if you have a fine breed and the weather is cold - irrelevant of how much hard feed you give them - unless they are warm they will burn the food off keeping themselves warm. Your dog is unable to move about enough to keep herself warm - it may only be 3/5? hours - but if the weather is cold then she will feel every minute of being outside (I appreciate metabolism plays a part as well).

Good luck and I hope you get your dog back. :)

@willman - you may be correct about some dogs being more comfortable outside than in. Presumably you refer to those with good thick, double coats such as Huskies, GSDs etc. However, we are examining the case of this one dog who, by the admission of the owner is a short haired breed and potentially underweight. The weather has been kind to us of late but it is now becoming wet and cold. I hardly think that a dog such as the one described is having it's needs met by being tethered outside with no (apparent) means of shelter. In addition to this the animal is in season so has no means of escaping the attentions of stray entire males.

It is evident that the OP means well when he talks about caring for his dog but this is is limited by his understanding of the care needs of it. The best thing he can do is to ask for advice and to try to learn more about looking after the dog, in particular it's needs regarding diet, shelter and warmth. Importantly, as has been said, if he gets her back then he should take the dog to the vet immediately and get her speyed.

Quite right - the difference however is that you also haven't accused him of neglect or abuse or being an irresponsible owner. Or threatened to let dogs run loose.

I'm sorry but I can't actually believe people are wishing him hope on getting his dog back. I'm gobsmacked.

So who decides then? The RSPCA? Don't make me laugh.

Leaving a skinny, short-haired dog tied to a chain, with no shelter to keep warm, at the risk of getting pregnant, IS abuse in my opinion, and many other people's I'm sure. Why the hell get a dog to leave it tied up outside? I've got a lot of experience working in rescue so it surprises me that any rescue would recommend that? But anyway...

Are you saying people should turn a blind eye because its "none of their business"? That's how abuse, any type of abuse, is allowed to carry on. Because people turn a blind eye. Maybe you are familiar with the following quote from Edmund Burke:

"'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Now I'm not saying the OP is evil, but you get the theory behind it. I understand that it may not be the best decision to let the dog free, ideally you would take it home, but then that's theft. Either way, I couldn't see a dog suffer day in day out. From experience, I have very little faith in the RSPCA, so I'd have to do something. And in the case, it seems its worked out for the dog as someone seems to be taking notice of its welfare.

Just because you haven't encountered it doesn't make it wrong.

The RSPCA would ask him to provide a shelter - outside that he isn't doing anything wrong from what i can see.

I suppose everyone leaving their dog in their home for 7,8,9,10 hours a day isn't neglect,just because it's in the house.

I've done homechecks for Sibes rescues and they see no problem with a dog living outside 24hours a day(with some shelter) or having it tethered if it is a flight risk.

Quite right - the difference however is that you also haven't accused him of neglect or abuse or being an irresponsible owner. Or threatened to let dogs run loose.

Of which he's guilty of all three in my opinion?:huh:

Is it not irresponsible to leave your bitch outside whilst she's in season?

Is it not neglectful to not feed a dog what it needs to keep a healthy weight?

Is it not abuse to leave it outside in the freezing cold with no shelter?

For all those trying to be diplomatic and sticking up for this guy, ask yourself this: would you let this guy look after your dog whilst you went on holiday? Would you rehome your dog to him should you ever be faced with that decision?

I'd bet my life that everyone's answer would be no.