Photographers, Cakes and Transport!

Hi,

We're getting married on 23 May next year and I still have quite a lot left to sort out - I have been looking at photographers, cakes and transport in the past few weeks but so far have found it all pretty overwhelming! We are trying to sell and buy a house and I'm moving jobs too in the next couple of weeks, so apologies for the mass amount of questions but I feel like i'm running out of time! :(

We are having a pretty relaxed wedding and don't have a mega budget - we are having a church for the wedding itself and a very laid back reception in the city centre. I am hoping I can get some recommendations on here.

A few more details (in case it helps!)

Photographer - we are only wanting a photographer for the church, and possibly the first hour of the reception (I dont want getting ready pics or night-do pics) The church is in S6 and the reception is in the city centre - so approx 3 hours work on the day (obviously I know there is a lot more work done afterwards - I'm not saying it's only 3 hours work!) I think from the pics I've seen I generally like the more relaxed style of photography rather than very formal group pics.

Cake - Will be for approx 60 people. Any recommendations would be great!

Transport - I think we will want a couple of cars to get us (bride and bridesmaids, groom and best man) to the church but I fancy a vintage bus from the church to the reception for all the guests and us too (approx 7.5 miles). If anyone has a recommendation or can tell me an idea of the price they paid, that would be fab!

Mega grateful for any help or advice anyone can give me :) xxx

Hi LeBoing,

PM sent. I should be able to help with the photography side of things for you :)

Neil

Thanks for your PMs everybody! Apologies for the delayed response - I've been in the middle of nowhere this weekend and not had great phone signal!

I'll pin the hubby-to-be down to have a look at your websites and reply to you all ASAP!

Thanks again!

Em ? xxx

My daughter got married last weekend on a small budget so did loads of stuff herself. She made the bouquets and table decorations, used our car(decorated!) for transport, found a photographer who was just setting up her own business so got photos free to use for company's publicity shots and decorated cakes herself (as well as changing jobs in the meantime!) The cake was amazing - she ordered 3 plain sponge ones in different sizes, bought ready-made icing and slapped it on the day before the wedding! You can get loads of edible decorations - the whole 3-layered cake cost about £50 as opposed to £100's ready-made. You can save loads of money if you are able to spend time browsing internet for ideas! Oh and she also made all the room decorations herself - tissue paper pompoms, decorated tea-light jars for table decorations etc. I can send you a photo of the cake if you like! The whole day was great (even the weather!) and shows it can be done. All the hard work is worth it! Good Luck!

You can get a decorated cake from Marks and Spencer or buy it undecorated and just stick your own decorations on it. A lot of cakes are quite simply decorated now compared to the skill that was involved in the old fashioned icing. Some people do make really nice flowers with the soft icing but most are quite basic, easy to do with molds or rollers/templates or buy ready made to stick on.

Closing thread, please PM OP if you would like to offer your services.