A problem for traders in Shiregreen

Hi all, I'm not quite sure how this will be recieved but I feel like this is something I'd like to warn people about.

A few months ago, a friend who works in the same trade as me who has had a long running and successful career I might add, was subject to being scammed when he finished work, and went to bill the customer only to be told to 'come back later' and after getting this same response several times had to give up. He warned me by giving a description of the family - Irish migrants recently moved from Dublin

Fast forward to yesterday (09/10/14) and after completing a job less than 500 metres away from where the same thing had happened to my friend, It happened to me, as these people were also recently moved from Dublin I thought no way can the 2 sets of people both be scammers. But after giving them the benefit of the doubt and after completing the works, we were told to go to an address nearby to collect payment. Reluctantly, we did so, only to find another Irish family who said they were related but wouldnt be paying. So back to the original address less than 5 minutes later and no answer at the dooor, but I managed to catch the home owner steal a glance through a blind. Still no answer.

What Im trying to convay here is NOT a message of distaste towards migrants but to those who may take up work in the Shiregreen area is to be vigilant and ask for the bill to be paid upfront.

Any questions you may have regarding this Ill be happy to answer as I have left out small details in the interest of time

Thank you

Have you reported them to the police for fraud?

If they are permanent/ live there, then up to you to sue them.

Well we are yet undecided as what to do as they became very aggresive and threatening..going to try and collect payment one more time

Contact the police get a name and then do it so your visit becomes evidence with more context. The police may do nothing, but you can still use that in your civil claim. It also alerts them if they are known scammers.

Hatfield house lane parr chance? Oppo the school? Description please as have a good clue who. Police really should be involved luv.

---------- Post added 10-10-2014 at 21:57 ----------

What road luv? Description? Yes if its the folk I'm thinking of then yes police should be involved. They've been at it years :/

Dublin migrants?

Is that your polite way of saying travellers/gypsies? :D

Even if you take civil action and win the chances youll recieve any money are slim to none.

What work was it you did? Can it be undone?

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of other hardworking people, who rely on being paid by genuine customers to support their families.

I will alert the tradespeople in my family.

Im not sure if im in breach of forum rules by giving away the address but ive recieved several PMs about this from people who have experienced similar and so this is clearly a problem..any info you may have would be grately appreciated

Even if you take civil action and win the chances youll recieve any money are slim to none.

What work was it you did? Can it be undone?

You do get to destroy their credit rating, send in the bailiffs or put a charge on their house though.

Im not sure if im in breach of forum rules by giving away the address but ive recieved several PMs about this from people who have experienced similar and so this is clearly a problem..any info you may have would be grately appreciated

If all tradespeople affected by this provide the details to the Police this may amount to a case of ......

I don't know what the .... should be but, for me, it is almost like a fraud / theft if work is being requested (multiple times) with no intention of paying.

Without multiple evidence the Police won't be able to do anything

If not, try contacting one of the BBC daytime programmes which might investigate

You do get to destroy their credit rating, send in the bailiffs or put a charge on their house though.

I doubt very much that they give a stuff about credit ratings as they dont sound like they actually pay for anything!

If you take civil action it will most likely come to nothing, sure you might be found to be owed money and an order may be made that they have to pay but they still wont, theres no guarantee that youll actually get paid even though you went down that route.

A bailiff may be appointed but will get the same treatment you did when you tried to collect, itll soon get thrown back to the court for maybe another bailiff who will do the same.

If they had the intention to pay then they would have by now.

Theyll deny everything and youll have a long hard fight on your hands with very little chance of success.

It rately happens like the tv shows would have you believe.

They are obviously a canny lot so the house wont legally belong to them id wager so no charge either.

The only way youll get anywhere is to collectively get together with others who have been conned by them and take action as a group.

I wish you the best of luck op.

The best thing to save your sanity is to listen to your friend next time, you had the heads up but still went ahead and did the work.

Its admirable that you gave the benefit of the doubt but in future maybe be a bit harder with those you have an inkling may not pay, protect your own interests.

Youd have been better off if you hadnt done this job,some arent worth doing.