Ex-Pats, when did you leave sheffield

I left in 97 and haven't been back since Feb 2000. Would love to go back and see old friends/workmates but I expect I'll be disapointed. Sometimes it's just better to remember.......

I work in tourism and love to hear a yorkshire accent, I always aproach the tourist and ask where they are from and you can guarantee if its Sheffield they will sit and chat - very friendly bunch..

I left Sheffield in 1959 when i joined the Army.I enlisted in the Y&L Regt stayed with them until they disbanded in 1968 then went on to join the 1st Bn DWR.I served in various Countries with both Regt until my demob in 1983.

I then went on to work for the MOD as a civilian in York until my retirement in 2005.I have visited Sheffield many times over the years as my family members still live there.Now live in Turkey Brian Hall ex Pitsmoor.

I left in May 1968, lived and worked in Montreal, the Gaspe, and Newfoundland on control systems for the paper industry, after I worked on the same devices for Davy United, and 18 RN years. Moved to New England in 1977, and became a citizen in 1987. I lost my Sheffield born wife Pat in a car crash in 1979, and married my Irish wife in 1882. On a visit to Ireland in 1983 I flew her and the family to England, and we visited Sheffield. She was very impressed with the friendliness of the people and loved the Peak District. she didn't much like the attitude towards kids in the better restaurants. I went back in 1984 for my mother's funeral, and in 1989 while on a working trip to Scotland.

Left Oughtibridge in 1973 for Australia lived in Townsville which is subtropical(what a change from Oughtibridge) Now live just outside Brisbane. Returned to the UK twice in the 34 years I have been here. I still love Yorkshire & miss the great sense of humour. I miss the closeness of families even though I have all my immediate family here. I married an Aussie so have very much made a life here. Will never get used to living with snakes & other bitey things but doubt I would ever live anywhere else now. Janet Olsen

My Mum still lives there, and i miss the people but i dont regret my move one bit. I'm an old Firth park boy and found this website when i heard it had been demolished. My wifes a rotherham girl but my eldest son was born in the Northern General. The 3 of us moved to Cambridge Ontario, Canada where we've now added 2 girls to the family. Life here is so much more laid back, and you get 4 good seasons a year. Feet of snow in the winter and high 30's in the summer. This year will be our 1st visit back in 5 years so i'm expecting a few changes. Most people come to visit us for some reason might have something to do with Niagara falls only an Hour away.

Left as a child in 1977 - didn't go anywhere exotic or exciting; just moved to South Wales with my parents and younger brother for my dad's job.

Luv Rach x

I have to go back a long way, left Sheffield in 1946 joined merchant navy in 49 &reg army in 51 by 63 i was married with 3 still restless we all packed & came to Canada, I still think was a good move ,4th &5th g-g grand on the way i've not moved too far in 55yrs

I left Sheffield in March 1947 after living there for 14 months after being demobbed from the Navy. I went to live in London,and stayed there for 9 years. I then moved with my family to the Northwest coast.and am still here.Iwas born in Sheffield,and am always interested in in whats going on there.

1959 I got a degree from Sheffield Uni. I worked for the NHS 7 yrs. We were looking for more qualifications and jobs that gave promotion (i.e. didn't pay well)

1966 - I got a lovely piece of paper from the Royal College in London, and a promise of a great job.

Down came Harold Wilson's wage freeze, and away went the funding for the new post; we were broke!

So I called in at Australia House, collected the forms and filled them in, and for 30 quid I, my wife, my mother-in-law, and 3 children were on our way to Australia on SS Australis.

March 1967 landed in Sydney and driven to Wollongong (you can believe Skippy, it's a great little town in a good position). Got a job, sent money home to pay off some debts, and we've all done well since.

We love to come back, and hope to be there in 2007.

Hi,

My aunt Audrey came out on the same ship as you in 67!

She is now in Canberra - as I am now also. Been here since Sept 04 and I too have planned a trip back to Sheffield in 6 weeks - mainly to see family and freinds though - not the place.

left in 2000 went to oxford still here going strong

Left Sheffield in 1983 to go to college in Leicester - then found a job just outside Cardiff in 1986.

The parents retired to live down here about 10 years ago, so I don't get back up there too often now. Still have friends and family living there though......!!

I left in 97 and haven't been back since Feb 2000. Would love to go back and see old friends/workmates but I expect I'll be disapointed. Sometimes it's just better to remember.......

I work in tourism and love to hear a yorkshire accent, I always aproach the tourist and ask where they are from and you can guarantee if its Sheffield they will sit and chat - very friendly bunch..

Agree Jules

whenever I hear the accent I always ask and the response is always friendly and warm.

Last August made my first trip back to Sheffield in 24 years - having vowed in 1982 I'd never return (left to live in Australia in 1966). Hated the town centre - whatever happened to the Peace Gardens and Fargate? But love the leafy suburbs and of course the Peak District.

Can't stand the heat in Melbourne much longer, so now plotting how I can make Aussie dollars stretch to pay for my retirement in the UK!