Ex-Pats, when did you leave sheffield

I left in 1961 having been stationed at the Signals TA on Barnsley Rd. which was unusual for a local man to be PSI. I returned a couple of years ago and went tu 'lane to see United lose against Sunderland but watch them beat Nott's Forest in the play-offs the season before. They'll be going up next season.

:thumbsup: Left sort of in 1970 to go to Teacher Training College then altogether in '73 to start teaching in Norfolk. Move meant to be temporary but got sort of stuck, Norfolk is a bit like that. Still miss the hills but do come home fairly regularly as family still in Sheff. Did people listen to the Radio 2 Ballad - 'Song of Steel' still available on Listen Again Brought back many memories of Sheffield's Industrial past.

I left in 1992 to move south for uni. I still call Sheffield 'home', and I do miss living there.

I left in September 2004 for Canberra Oz - and loving it :)

1959 I got a degree from Sheffield Uni. I worked for the NHS 7 yrs. We were looking for more qualifications and jobs that gave promotion (i.e. didn't pay well)

1966 - I got a lovely piece of paper from the Royal College in London, and a promise of a great job.

Down came Harold Wilson's wage freeze, and away went the funding for the new post; we were broke!

So I called in at Australia House, collected the forms and filled them in, and for 30 quid I, my wife, my mother-in-law, and 3 children were on our way to Australia on SS Australis.

March 1967 landed in Sydney and driven to Wollongong (you can believe Skippy, it's a great little town in a good position). Got a job, sent money home to pay off some debts, and we've all done well since.

We love to come back, and hope to be there in 2007.

1959 I got a degree from Sheffield Uni. I worked for the NHS 7 yrs. We were looking for more qualifications and jobs that gave promotion (i.e. didn't pay well)

1966 - I got a lovely piece of paper from the Royal College in London, and a promise of a great job.

Down came Harold Wilson's wage freeze, and away went the funding for the new post; we were broke!

So I called in at Australia House, collected the forms and filled them in, and for 30 quid I, my wife, my mother-in-law, and 3 children were on our way to Australia on SS Australis.

March 1967 landed in Sydney and driven to Wollongong (you can believe Skippy, it's a great little town in a good position). Got a job, sent money home to pay off some debts, and we've all done well since.

We love to come back, and hope to be there in 2007.

Save your money there's nothing to see that you haven't seen before. Use your cash for something else ,it will just depress you.

Save your money there's nothing to see that you haven't seen before. Use your cash for something else ,it will just depress you.

Nay, lad, there's all those nice people!

Besides, we've got lots of looking up in old church registers and so on, tracing our family.

Don't listen to him Mr Fish, your message is right.

Nay, lad, there's all those nice people! Besides, we've got lots of looking up in old church registers and so on, tracing our family.

Can't let all those nice people down, especially as they might help you search them registers

you keep your date in 2007 I know you will have a great time :)

Left in 1963 from southhampton.22nd July.We were homesick for a long time and we lived with my Mother,brother and sister in Victoria (Aus) We now live in Tweed Heads on the Gold Coast not far from the beach.Since finding the Forum it has awakened something in me and love hearing about Petre St,Pitsmoor.Went back in 1977 and saw my family,i am getting an urge to visit again soon.Went to All Saints School,Then worked at The Sheffield Twist Drill And Steel Company.

I dontthink I've ever really left Sheffield, I still think of it as 'home'. I've not really lived there for 38 years, spending time in Manchester, New Mills, Surrey and now settled in Spain, I come back regularly and most of my best mates live in Sheff, and I couldn't go more than 6 months without my Peak District fix.

When I moved to Milton Keynes (and all the jokes about it are true) someone said I was brave for moving so far away. Don't know what would happen if he learned I'd since moved on to Seattle.

Arthur, you really like living in France? Are the politicians any better or wiser? Did the Tories really destroy the north? Never mind our present lot are getting their own back here in Anglia. No more politics please...