Ex-Pats, when did you leave sheffield

Hi lived in Sheffield all my life until January 2003, then i went to live in Germany. came back to England December 2005 to Warminster then moved again to Chippenham last September. Still visit Sheffield at every opportunity and its the place i call home. moved around due to hubbys job. Really liked Germany a very nice place, really clean and everything is cheap to buy, no road tax no tv licence, but it's good to be back lol.

I suddenly realized with this thread that I've been away nearly 40 years. I'm not going to go back and say where I went and how I got here. You can read that elsewhere if you're even interested. Now as I contemplate my 76th year, I look back on the Sheffield I was born into and what I gather from this forum, and I see that it was another time and place. I don't know if its better than it was or worse. I only know that it was magical for a young sailor coming home from time to time from the sea, and rejoining my lovely Sheffield wife. Its been a very long time, and she has gone, taken from me by a tractor trailer that went too fast in the wet. My life here in lovely Connecticut is where I'm glad to be, but I have a painting of Cole's Corner to remind me of what was, a great city proud of what we went through to defeat Hitler.

Don't you just love those photos of Coles Corner Buck ? most of the pictures in my home came from Sheffield at one time or another, couple of oil paintings done by a Sheffield artist too.

My Husband bought a large oil painting from Coles over 40 years ago, still his favorite picture,I wish I could remember how much we paid for it back then.

We left Sheffield to work and live in Southport in 1982. Only ever been here a couple of times,so we didn"t know anyone at all.

Missed the hills and Sheffield country-side badly.It"s boringly flat here,but ideal for cycling,and better for walking too!

Hardly ever see the sea though.It"s too far out!

We can see Blackpool Tower and Lytham St Annes from the Coastal Road and the shore, on a clear day.

Sometimes visitors try to walk across the beach to Blackpool but it"s very dangerous due to sinking sands, and the danger of being cut off by the incoming tides.

We still have many relatives in or around Sheffield.

I left Sheff in 1975 - for London and then to Canada in '84 never been back. Like Buck says - once upon a time it was a magical place to be, but nothing stays the same. Still have friends there and keep in touch!

I left Sheffield in 1966. Moved to London with my job (Ministry of Power as it was then). Then on to the States in 1968. Went on my own, for adventure!

Started out in the suburbs of New Jersey. Hated it. I thought I was off to Happy Days but most of suburban US is quite desolate. There are plenty of houses but no corner shops or pubs. So moved on to NYC which was a much more exciting kettle of fish. Married in 1971 and lived mostly in New England.

I returned to England quite a few times and in the early days I missed all the mod cons of America (very materialistic of me), but the older I got the more I missed England. I returned in Sept. 2003 for a holiday and kept putting off my return (my marriage was in a state of crumble anyway). My 92 year old mother decided to break her hip that Christmas Eve sooo I extended my stay again, to look after her. Anyway I am now back for good and loving it.

I grew up in Fir Vale and couldn't wait to get out of there. I hated the smell of the factories and coal fires and waiting for a bus in the drizzle. But now when I remenisce (where's the spell check on this thing) I only talk about the good bits.

Sheffield to me isn't about the bricks and mortar it's about the people. They are friendly without being intrusive, they have a great sense of humour and are very kind. I for one am very happy to be back living a Domesday village on the edge of Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. I am new to this site. It's like free therapy! Love to you all out there in the far flung reaches.

BLMharthill -Interested to know how you have adjusted to life back in the UK after such a long time. Please see your pm box.

I joined the Royal Navy in 1949 , we lived in Masters Rd, Parson Cross , I got married in 1952 at Sheffield and started to live in Plymouth where I still live. My father worked for Wm. Green of Ecclesfield , they made cooking equipment. In 1953 my parents moved to London, Wm. Green wanted a rep. in London to fit & maintain cooking stoves. I have returned to Sheffield several times , mainly to see my aunts , uncles & cousins. I have seen many changes over the years , some good, some bad, I will always be a Sheffielder and a West Riding man.

Left in 1966 had no say in it I was only 15 dad worked for Sheffield Twist Drill (Dormer Tools) they asked him if he wanted to go to Australia and he said yes .It took some time to get used to living here at first but we all settled down.I have been back a couple of times its not the same but nothing is anymore but it dose not matter where I live I will still call Sheffield home. PS Keep smiling your summers comming.