Damaged footpath- how to repair

Hello

While having some building materials delivered, the delivery lorry has damaged the footpath outside my house, putting some significant dints in it so over a couple of metres it is quite a roller-coaster!

I've done a bit of googling and the price of tarmac looks expensive - particularly for a relatively small area.

Any advice on the best way to put this right? I want to do it, but I also believe the footpaths are to be replaced next year so want to bear that in mind too!

Thanks for any advice.

Is it on your land or is it on the public highway.

You can't start digging up the public highway to fix things on your own.

It's the public footpath.

No intention of doing it on my own - but I'm sure i've got some responsibility to repair the damage!

You have to contact the council, who'll send a team out and eventually issue the largest bill for the smallest piece of work you've ever seen in your life.

I see you're trying to do the right thing, but be very careful to not admit liability.

You personally did not cause the damage.

You might be better informing the council, an amateur repair to a public footpath might leave you open to all sorts of claims if there is an accident.

You have to contact the council, who'll send a team out and eventually issue the largest bill for the smallest piece of work you've ever seen in your life.

I see you're trying to do the right thing, but be very careful to not admit liability.

You personally did not cause the damage.

Yes that's what I feared!

Thanks for the advice.

You need to take photographs and make accurate notes about the incident. Write to the company who delivered your building supplies enclosing a copy of the photograph and detailing everything that occurred, including time and date. Send the letter by recorded delivery. You could also send a copy to the local authority department that is responsible for footpaths. Surely the responsibility for this damage is not yours, but the company's. They should be insured for incidents such as this.

You need to take photographs and make accurate notes about the incident. Write to the company who delivered your building supplies enclosing a copy of the photograph and detailing everything that occurred, including time and date. Send the letter by recorded delivery. You could also send a copy to the local authority department that is responsible for footpaths. Surely the responsibility for this damage is not yours, but the company's. They should be insured for incidents such as this.

Thanks, I think you're right ideally, I'm just not sure I'd get very far, I mentioned it at the time and the response I got was "that footpath's no good anyway" or words to that effect!

That's a typical response but it still doesn't negate liability. This damage is not your responsibility.

Thanks, I think you're right ideally, I'm just not sure I'd get very far, I mentioned it at the time and the response I got was "that footpath's no good anyway" or words to that effect!

Did you tell them it's a footpath,not a road?