Sheffield Manor Estate - Manor Chapel

Maureen, many thanks for your help. Jack Cowlishaw has got in touch.

Katherine

Good ,let me know if you are related

Thanks

Maureen, Yes thanks, we are definitely related. I have found him on my family tree!

Hi,

Would i be right in thinking that the Cowlishaws who lived across from the Manor Castle ruins were the same family who had Stand House Farm where the school now stands, I can remember then taking the cattle into the fields at the end of Waltheof Rd in the late 20,s.

Hi,

As far as I am aware there were some farming Cowlishaws but I thought that they farmed at Nunnery Farm, which I am told was built over by the Parkway.

I am aware of another lady called Jane Cowlishaw who believes she has links to a farm in the Manor area, but the farm she was talking about was called Low Farm, I think.

Sorry I do not have any more detailed information on this.

Regards, Katherine Seavill

Yes the Cowlishaws did farm at Standhouse Farm where the school is now also the Cowlishaws had a farm called the Nunnery and Low farm (which i am told it was called) on the right hand side as you go up Manor Lane.

I will check out who lived at which one. As there were many Cowlishaws lived in this area I think they all linked at some point

All information thankfully received.

Maureen,

I am a bit confused. Are you saying that Nunnery and Low farm are one and the same thing or were they separate farms, likely to have been held be two different owners (albeit possibly from the same family tree) ?

Katherine

Hi katherine

There were many farms around here in the past and yes these were 3 of them all within a 15 - 20 minute walk of each other I would say.

The Standhouse farm on the Manor is where the Standhouse school is now. Well I think it has had its days as a school and is now used for all sorts of different things and is called Standhouse Centre.

Here lived Thomas Cowlishaw and Amelia and also Alice Ashbury.

The Nunnery farm was partly where the Sheffield Parkway runs into Sheffield, where the turn off is for Manor Park the farm would have been off to the left

Here lived Eva Cowlishaw - Harry - James - Mary -and Annie

I only heard about some of the Cowlishaws living at Low Farm yesterday, I have not found out any definite details yet, i will let you Know as soon as I do

These farms and the names I found in the Electoral rolls at the Local studies library Sheffield they are from the 1929 -1930 book

Maureen,

Many thanks for all the information.

Katherine.

Hello eveyone! My name is Prash- I'm a student at Sheffield University. As part of a project I am doing a study of the manor and darnell. I need any information people may have on these areas. eg. why were the streets made in the pattern of concentric circles. Major developments of the manor through the past. The effect of the Parkway on the area. Relationship with Darnell. Stories of peoples experiences in the manor would be really helpful. As well as any factual information. If anyone can help please e-mail me on ARA97PSS@SHEFFIELD.AC.UK I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you

Prash

Maureen,

Jane Cowlishaw has given me some information on Low Farm which she has been trying to post on Sheffgen but has been unable to so far. These are the occupants of Low Farm as far as she is aware from her records:-

1912 - Cowlishaw and Son, Farmers. Low Farm. Corker Bottom Lane

1916 - William Cowlishaw, Farmer, Low Farm,Manor Lane

1925 - William Cowlishaw, Farmer, Low Farm, Park

1926 - James Cowlishaw, Farmer Low Farm

Katherine