Sheffield Manor Estate - Manor Chapel

if yo go onto manor park cres you will see to bungleows thats exactly where the church was,i remember going to there bon fires with my grandad.....i still live very close to it now and i always think of the fireworks etc every time i pass it

if yo go onto manor park cres you will see to bungleows thats exactly where the church was,i remember going to there bon fires with my grandad.....i still live very close to it now and i always think of the fireworks etc every time i pass it

I hope you remember to act responsibly with your fireworks:|

Hi guys...

I've never lived in sheffield, I am a Manchester gal but my uncle Wilf (Richardson) lived in Stand House on Manor Lane and according to my dad, Wilf bought the methodist chapel and he remembers it as being right next door to the Manor Castle Pub. That may be a little help to you, I don't know.

Uncle Wilf's son was Andrew Richardson and I would love to contact him as we lost touch throughout the years, if anyone can help I would be grateful

Jacqueline (nee Richardson)

Can anyone tell me if i am right in thinking that there used to be a tennis court along side the Weslyan church? i have a vague memory that there was one at the Manor Lane side of the church,also did the Cowlishaws live at the house at top of Manor Park Cresent and facing the Castle ruins,i seem to remember my mother telling me they went to live there when the old farm house was demolished to make way for Standhouse School

... my uncle Wilf (Richardson) lived in Stand House on Manor Lane and according to my dad, Wilf bought the methodist chapel and he remembers it as being right next door to the Manor Castle Pub...

Presumably this was the first Manor Chapel in the grounds of the Manor and not the second one on Manor Park Crescent ?

Very interesting, I did not know it had been sold on. Do you know what your Uncle Wilf used it for ?

Regards,

Katherine

I think he demolished it and built housing, he built all those new houses as far as I know.

I remember Andrew Richardson very well, I remember as a little girl thinking HE was God! I don't know why! He played a guitar I think, was such a nice man and I saw him not long ago at Manor Castle open day. He lives somewhere out of Sheffield now but I will try and see if I can get hold of him for you

I think he demolished it and built housing, he built all those new houses as far as I know.

This must have been the second manor chapel then. Thanks for the info. Hope you manage to trace your reletive.

Katherine

My Mother attended Manor Methodist Chapel until it closed.

She used to keep the communion wine glass.

Hi everyone, I have been doing a bit of family research and some time ago I came across a William Cardwell who is listed in a census as being the head of household of nunnery farm, sheffield park. I cannot remember the exact year of the census but I belive it was around the 1840-1870 period. There is a refrence to a 'Mr Cardwell' of nunery farm beng blown off a haystack in the hurricane of 1873. I belive that William may be my great, great, great grandad. Unfortunatly I cannot remember where I saw this and was wondering if anybody had heard of this person.

Hi everyone related to the Cowlishaws. I am the late Harry Cowlishaw's grand-daughter. He traced our family history back to the 1500's and we were related to Praying William also. My Grandad used to live on Nunnery Farm when he was a boy and yes the Parkway was built over it in the 60's. I would be really interested to hear of any other people that were also related to the Cowlishaws.

On 31/05/2009 at 12:44, Clik32 said:

I remember Andrew Richardson very well, I remember as a little girl thinking HE was God! I don't know why! He played a guitar I think, was such a nice man and I saw him not long ago at Manor Castle open day. He lives somewhere out of Sheffield now but I will try and see if I can get hold of him for you

Hi

I am trying to find out who owns the stand house on  Manor Lane now!!!!!  I am trying to find out for a prospective buyer.  I have tried the land registry and even emailed Sheffield Council.  Someone out there must know who owns the house now and I would be ever so grateful for any help you can provide.

Thanks