Sheffield NHS Trust on standby for Ebola patients.

Have to say, found this a tad concerning when I heard this a couple of days ago

---------- Post added 13-10-2014 at 00:41 ----------

People's attitudes to ebola worry me more than the disease itself! My thoughts are that eight beds nationally really might not be enough, and it's easy to envisage a scenario where more are needed - someone vomitting on a crowded bus for example, but I really do not see ebola becoming a great problem in the UK. Far more people will die from eating sugary or salty foods. The real enemy to our nation's health lies on supermarket shelves!

Totally agree :)

She was nursing the patient, in contact with bodily fluids and not wearing appropriate PPE last time I heard owt about it.

The last heard from Spain was that the nurse had taken all necessary precautions and followed the correct protocol....where did you read that she'd not worn her PPE?

People's attitudes to ebola worry me more than the disease itself! My thoughts are that eight beds nationally really might not be enough, and it's easy to envisage a scenario where more are needed - someone vomitting on a crowded bus for example, but I really do not see ebola becoming a great problem in the UK. Far more people will die from eating sugary or salty foods. The real enemy to our nation's health lies on supermarket shelves!

Many people die each year in the UK of 'flu and the effects of 'flu - a highly contagious infection but very little fuss is made about this - and the number of 'at risk' people who do not take up the offer of free 'flu jabs is very worrying.

Concerns should be directed to this real problem rather than what might happen.

Edited by Daven

The last heard from Spain was that the nurse had taken all necessary precautions and followed the correct protocol....where did you read that she'd not worn her PPE?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ebola-spread-shows-flaws-in-protective-gear-and-procedures/

Spain’s El País stated earlier this week that Carlos III workers were wearing latex gloves secured with adhesive tape to their overalls.

Inappropriate, not absent.

To be honest she was wearing more than the average person in the street would be should they come into contact with an infective person...which really was my point..even with some PPE she still managed to catch it...

they can't even control the outbreak of mrsa in hospitals let alone ebola.

Many people die each year in the UK of 'flu and the effects of 'flu - a highly contagious infection but very little fuss is made about this - and the number of 'at risk' people who do not take up the offer of free 'flu jabs is very worrying.

That's because Hollywood doesn't find flu "sexy". How many "end of the world" movies and TV programmes are there at the moment or recently, based on some worldwide spreading disease?

they can't even control the outbreak of mrsa in hospitals let alone ebola.

'They' meaning the NHS in general or the infectious diseases floor at RHH ?

You are totally wrong on both counts actually. When did this 'outbreak' occur exactly ?

Can you post a link for us to confirm this comment or are you a Daily Fail reader who believes everything they spoon feed you?

Regards.

Edited by Daven

So have the doom bringers left their houses yet since Ebola came into Europe?

Secondly, on what basis have the four hospitals been chosen? Location purely? Size? Amount of staff available? Proven record on following procedures, especially relating to hygiene and disease control?

In Sheffield's case probably the fact that the RHH has negative pressure isolation rooms for individuals with infectious diseases.

To be honest she was wearing more than the average person in the street would be should they come into contact with an infective person...which really was my point..even with some PPE she still managed to catch it...

Wearing protective gear is only a start.

The most critical element is being able to take the dirty gear off without contamination.

Ebola is easy to catch for the relatives/friends of people suffering from it because the victim uncontrollably produces lots and lots of boldly fluids such as vomit/runny faeces and eventually lots of blood. If you avoid those fluids you will not catch it. It is not spread by aerosol form like a cold or the flu.

The thing that has caused it to become such an issue in West Africa is ignorance and the lack of basic health care. This should not be an issue here in the West.

The problem for health care professionals is that they are obviously constantly dealing with the patient's bodily fluids and so if they're not meticulous with following their barrier protocols they are at risk.