Workers on the breadline.

Everything black and white to you isn't it? Well it isn't

I think logically, sensibly and responsibly.

You will either apply for a better paying job, or you won't.

You will either take a course to learn new skills or you won't.

I could go on but I'm sure it is clear that there are no grey areas.

Once you realise this, making a plan of action becomes easy. I hold myself accountable for the things I do or don't do, I never blame others for my lack of action or the inability to be decisive.

Waking up in five years still blaming the government isn't going to help is it. Imagine what you could achieve in five years if only you had the right attitude and started holding yourself accountable. I wish you nothing but good things.

---------- Post added 12-10-2014 at 18:19 ----------

Do you have a family depending on you? If you did, you would know life gets in the way of such lofty ambitions.

I would have thought those with children would have the loftiest of ambition, isn't a child rather a big incentive to do better.

It's mathamatically impossible for everyone

You have given up, you're so incredibly negative, it's so awful to see.

The majority of the ones who do, have certain advantages, like money and the right connections that trump hard work and the 'right attitude.' If they didn't, we wouldn't have things like a government cabinet full of millionaires and ex public school boys, and a few 'honourables' thrown in. Same in practically every sector you can think of.

So why didn't you go to a top University and get a well paid job? Many people do and work in politics without going to Eton and Cambridge. What happened?

It is not a level playing field, and is tilting more and more uphill.

You keep giving yourself all the reasons why you can't do well in life, yet despite your reasons, many everyday normal people achieve what you state is impossible.

I think logically, sensibly and responsibly.

You will either apply for a better paying job, or you won't.

You will either take a course to learn new skills or you won't.

I could go on but I'm sure it is clear that there are no grey areas.

Once you realise this, making a plan of action becomes easy. I hold myself accountable for the things I do or don't do, I never blame others for my lack of action or the inability to be decisive.

Waking up in five years still blaming the government isn't going to help is it. Imagine what you could achieve in five years if only you had the right attitude and started holding yourself accountable. I wish you nothing but good things.

If you have a rubbish job with poor pay where are you going to get the money from to pay for a course? Who is blaming the government? Good qualifications don't mean you're going to get a good job.

Everything black and white to you isn't it? Well it isn't

Don't rise to the bait!

If you have a rubbish job with poor pay where are you going to get the money from to pay for a course? Who is blaming the government? Good qualifications don't mean you're going to get a good job.

Mighty oaks from little acorns grow.

---------- Post added 12-10-2014 at 19:21 ----------

Don't rise to the bait!

There is no bait, but we are having a de-bait.

[quote=Aspinal;10713549

[IYou have given up, you're so incredibly negative, it's so awful to see.

No, I haven't given up at all. I'm just well aware that others have not been as lucky as me. I'm a baby boomer. Much of what my generation had, to give us a leg up, has been taken away, free university education for example. Far from giving up, I am just fighting for these rights to be reinstated and the playing field made level.

So why didn't you go to a top University and get a well paid job? Many people do and work in politics without going to Eton and Cambridge. What happened?

I did go to University as it happens, the first in my family to do so. I wasn't even aware at that time that there was a heirarchy of Universities. I was just happy to get into one. I still am. I don't think Oxbridge provides a better education, just better opportunities for networking - if that's what you want - and in this world it's who you know, not what you know that gets you to the very top.

[I]You keep giving yourself all the reasons why you can't do well in life, yet despite your reasons, many everyday normal people achieve what you state is impossible.

[/i]

I disagree. You are talking about reaching the very top, not just doing well. How many footsie 100 CEOs went to a bog standard Comp? How many are in government? I did just fine by my standards thankyou. My intentions were never to make a lot of money, but to give something back to society which I did. I have never regretted it. I am however aware that opportunities which helped me with my modest ambitions are no longer freely available to many. That makes me very sad.

---------- Post added 12-10-2014 at 19:59 ----------

I don't think there's any harm in applying for other jobs. I've worked with a few people who can't stand where they work (whilst making their current place of employment intolerable) whilst never applying for work anywhere else.

I agree, absolutely no harm at all. In fact why wouldn't they?

But I'm talking about the people at the bottom on minimum wage who have probably had a succession of temporary jobs and few prospects of getting off that particular roundabout.

They will probably be applying for better jobs, but having a poor work record (a succession of temporary jobs - no continuity, no up-to-date training etc.) have little chance of being shortlisted.

Edited by Anna B

[/i][/b]

I disagree. You are talking about reaching the very top, not just doing well. How many footsie 100 CEOs went to a bog standard Comp? How many are in government? I did just fine by my standards thankyou. My intentions were never to make a lot of money, but to give something back to society which I did. I have never regretted it. I am however aware that opportunities which helped me with my modest ambitions are no longer freely available to many. That makes me very sad.

---------- Post added 12-10-2014 at 19:59 ----------

I agree, absolutely no harm at all. In fact why wouldn't they?

But I'm talking about the people at the bottom on minimum wage who have probably had a succession of temporary jobs and few prospects of getting off that particular roundabout.

They will probably be applying for better jobs, but having a poor work record (a succession of temporary jobs - no continuity, no up-to-date training etc.) have little chance of being shortlisted.

How would you help them off the roundabout? I use the world help as you don't think they can get off on their own accord.

^^Plus - Ask yourself why the UK is sixth richest country in the world and we have some of highest dependencies on food banks.

Which bit saids Uk 6th richest in the world?

we owe trillions and Uk GDP is no where near 6th

http://www.worldsrichestcountries.com/

Cardoor its time to wake up. we will be class as a third world country in not distant future

Edited by owltillidie

Which bit saids Uk 6th richest in the world?

we owe trillions and Uk GDP is no where near 6th

http://www.worldsrichestcountries.com/

Not to mention look at the top 3?

China, USA and India.

No poverty in any of those at all.

Not to mention look at the top 3?

China, USA and India.

No poverty in any of those at all.

Of course there is. always will have anywhere in the world. but the average american dont have to think if they can afford to put heating on or eat tesco value food just to make ends meet

Of course there is. always will have anywhere in the world. but the average american dont have to think if they can afford to put heating on or eat tesco value food just to make ends meet

:rolleyes:That depends on how you define 'the average American'.

The average brit doesn't either.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/16/pf/tent-city/

They have some massive amounts of poverty we can't hold a candle to.

How would you help them off the roundabout? I use the world help as you don't think they can get off on their own accord.

OK. Some back of a cigarette packet ideas:

Make parents more accountable for bringing up their children correctly, with more emphasis on 'good parenting' education. Child allowance and other incentives paid for only the first two children to encourage smaller families.

Start by returning to a Grammar School system. But alongside, the old Secondary schools must be replaced by a prestigious Technical school system.

Free university education for all who are suitable, but entrance made harder to ensure only the most academic are accepted. In tandem with this, a practical university standard higher education to incorporate engineering, electronics, nursing and health care, art and design etc. and proper in-house apprenticeships of at least 3 years. More cross pollination of ideas between academic and creative disciplines.

Those who can't find what they want from these, to do 2 years of National Service, incorporating service in the community, citizenship, service overseas, foreign travel, policeing sport etc.

Make completing one of the above a condition of full citizenship, passport or some such. (Certain exceptions eg those with health / mental health problems - bring back Remploy?)

Working legislation to ensure proper jobs contracts with rights and responsibilities, proper training, and a built in career structure (working your way up) for those who want it. Move from a minimum wage to a Living wage.

More worker ownership of companies along the John Lewis model.

Restore the link between hard work and reward. CEOs pay to be no more than 10 x average worker's pay. Cap top earners pay with tax, or make everyone pay 25% - 30% and collect it religiously, no exceptions and no fancy footwork. Or possibly encourage phillanthropy, by asking established entrepreneurs to take on whole projects in exchange for tax exemptions?

Leave EU. Protect borders, points system of entry like Australia. Become more self-sufficient as a country. Fund research and development properly, and stop giving ideas away to other countries. Re-nationalise railways, utilities, energy and water companies. Bring in rent controls.

Get rid of the 'Old Boy' network and modernise. Make our democracy truly democratic with new system. Reduce bureuocracy and red tape to move much faster, slicker and smarter.

Just a few quick ideas, - I admit they haven't all been thoroughly thought through. No doubt people will rip into them.

Edited by Anna B