Hardrive stop working

Hello

I use a wd 2tb internal harddrive for storage,which i use external with usb ,

was watching a programme then clicked to watch another episode,and the hardrive failed to show in computer,i unpluged it and try it again but no show,

it shows the letter L for the drive in device manager but does nothing,have also connected to other computers but still does not show up,

does this mean that the harddrive as failed.

thankyou

Could be dead, best bet is remove the drive from from it's case and try it via cable(s), plugged directly into the pc motherboard.

Yea with abit of luck it's just the drive caddy, or the USB system thats having a paddy.

Sometimes there's a horrible crunching noise made by the hard drive when it dies, and when you try and fire it back up it makes a bunch of other odd noises.

Yea with abit of luck it's just the drive caddy, or the USB system thats having a paddy.

Sometimes there's a horrible crunching noise made by the hard drive when it dies, and when you try and fire it back up it makes a bunch of other odd noises.

Like someone dragging a sack of pebbles down a cobbled street :D

its not in a caddy,just connected up by power source and usb,tried to mother board still no joy

you can still hear it working

you could always use the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool from WD website

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool from WD website , even though it wont work on comp

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool from WD website , even though it wont work on comp

Is this HD sata, ide, 2.5" or 3.5", I presume you have connected to mobo with required cables, does the drive show up in the bios?

Like someone dragging a sack of pebbles down a cobbled street :D

My wife said that to me when I was getting into bed. :mad:

its not in a caddy,just connected up by power source and usb,tried to mother board still no joy

you can still hear it working

The physical drive will still be in a caddy of some sort, because there's no hard drives that connect directly to USB....

Are you using something like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-0-TO-SATA-IDE-Hard-Drive-Adapter-Converter-Cable-SET-/221546360760?pt=UK_Computing_Drive_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3395312fb8

If so,the power supplies provided are pants and often give up.Best bet is to put it in a pc as someone mentioned.