Forum not merging posts for everyone anymore?

A few months ago the forum started to merge posts together - so if you posted twice in a row the forum would merge the two together: I assume this was done to stop threads being bumped by the person who last posted in them.

Spotted this yesterday:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1341785

Posts #9 and #10 by the same person two weeks apart, yet classed as seperate posts. I posted in a thread twice this morning and the posts got merged.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=10704191&postcount=32

What gives?

I noticed you posted in the tram thread and I responded with a 'quick reply' like I'm doing here - but in the time it took to hit submit, a moderator pulled your post from that thread, probably because you'd posted the full question here too - I saw this thread after...

A few months ago the forum started to merge posts together - so if you posted twice in a row the forum would merge the two together: I assume this was done to stop threads being bumped by the person who last posted in them.

Spotted this yesterday:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1341785

Posts #9 and #10 by the same person two weeks apart, yet classed as seperate posts. I posted in a thread twice this morning and the posts got merged.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=10704191&postcount=32

What gives?

Two weeks apart, that's why..

it's only if the other reply is made within a certain time frame of the previous... (not exactly sure on the time though)

I figure they don't really want to let members know the exact duration, as people who do want to post-bump will then have the knowledge of optimal time frame to be able to re-bump their threads.

I did one in an old zombie film thread and it didn't merge, which surprised me then I noticed there was a few weeks difference in the posts

I did one in an old zombie film thread and it didn't merge, which surprised me then I noticed there was a few weeks difference in the posts

Hmm. I wonder if it only does it in certain sections of the forum then? Or, some users have the restriction removed based on who they are.....

**ponders**

Hmm. I wonder if it only does it in certain sections of the forum then? Or, some users have the restriction removed based on who they are.....

**ponders**

well its just merged my latest post in the im listening to thread so id say no for the last 2 lol

I noticed this as well when I posted two consecutive things about a couple of weeks apart and it didn't merge them. It must be the time difference rather than just certain users.

I noticed this as well when I posted two consecutive things about a couple of weeks apart and it didn't merge them. It must be the time difference rather than just certain users.

we know, its just some users seem to be paranoid about certain things :P

Mod Note

I figure they don't really want to let members know the exact duration, as people who do want to post-bump will then have the knowledge of optimal time frame to be able to re-bump their threads.
No, there's no reason for you not knowing, merging is based on the post times and I believe if posts from a user are a week or more apart then they aren't merged. However if you do try bumping your threads this way then you'll be breaking the forum rules and the bumping posts will be removed as soon as they are reported or seen by a moderator.

**ponders**

Again no, it's based purely on the time and date of the post, it even happens to moderators & admin.

Some thread bumps are perfectly legitimate though, especially in information threads.