Accident Asda Roundabout 4/10/14 4:50pm

It goes through me when I hear terms like "Asda roundabout"; part of the highway network and geography of Sheffield gets colloquially named after a supermarket that just happens to be situated there?? :gag:

It goes through me when I hear terms like "Asda roundabout"; part of the highway network and geography of Sheffield gets colloquially named after a supermarket that just happens to be situated there?? :gag:

I totally agree, it should be called the Cafe roundabout because there is a cafe nearer, :hihi: it's distusting when people cant be more precise. :hihi:

I totally agree, it should be called the Cafe roundabout because there is a cafe nearer, :hihi: it's distusting when people cant be more precise. :hihi:

Or even the Road roundabout as its near a road.

My poor attempts at humor aside its fortunate the op wasnt hurt. Being hit side on weather it be your fault of not is still a horrible thing to happen. Even a low level impact can seem terrible violent when your in the car being hit.

I can't work out how someone can crash into the drivers door whilst the car is on a roundabout like that. But no, I wasn't there.

always call the police and dont move the vehicles if the other driver denies blame. take photos if possible. if they leave the scene of the accident then it shows guilt.

I can't work out how someone can crash into the drivers door whilst the car is on a roundabout like that. But no, I wasn't there.

Both turning right towards Handsworth and the inside car turns/runs into the car in the outside lane

That roundabout is a pain most days, too many coming down from Handsworth or from the M1-bound sliproad don't seem to have working indicators...

So if the OP was hit on the driver side and they were pretty much side-by-side coming off that sliproad, that suggests the OP was in the left hand lane - so the question would be - was the OP indicating to go right (upto Handsworth), or is it possible (if not indicating) that the Puma driver wrongly assumed the OP was going towards Darnall or back via the sliproad back onto the Parkway towards the M1, and the Puma driver wanted to presumably get into the left hand lane going up Handsworth Road, and badly misjudged it/didn't bother to check the OP was actually going right towards Handsworth too?

It's hardly unique to Sheffield. Lots of places used to be named after inns or pubs as they were prominent landmarks at the time. The Elephant and Castle in London is one. There's a roundabout on the North Circular called Charlie Brown's, named after a pub that was demolished to build the roundabout. There's also a roundabout called the Green Man after a pub with that name that was later renamed the Cube. No one thought of renaming the roundabout the Cube roundabout. And strangely Staples Corner is named after a mattress factory.

As the number of pubs falls and the number of supermarkets increases then this phenomenon is going to grow.

It's hardly unique to Sheffield. Lots of places used to be named after inns or pubs as they were prominent landmarks at the time. The Elephant and Castle in London is one. There's a roundabout on the North Circular called Charlie Brown's, named after a pub that was demolished to build the roundabout. There's also a roundabout called the Green Man after a pub with that name that was later renamed the Cube. No one thought of renaming the roundabout the Cube roundabout. And strangely Staples Corner is named after a mattress factory.

As the number of pubs falls and the number of supermarkets increases then this phenomenon is going to grow.

Your right, certain bends, hills and roundabouts get certain nick names when giving directions it's far easier to say their nick names as reference points than giving road numbers, I would love to listen Mr Hartley giving directions, you certainly would need be to armed with a map to find where the flippin hell he's on about.:hihi:

I've had several near misses on this roundabout in the past. Coming off the Parkway slip road to turn right to Handsworth. I've been on the inside lane with traffic coming round the roundabout on the outside lane. The trouble was that those in the outside lane realise that they are in the wrong lane for Handsworth (Or trying to jump the queue) and try to cut into the inside lane. As I've said it happens a lot, I'm not surprised there has been a bump. In my humble opinion this is what could have happened and the driver in the outside lane was to blame. But as previously stated I wasn't there.

So just to clear things up (in the absence of the OP!)...

This is where we think the cars first met

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3778036,-1.3972797,3a,75y,49.67h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sAeuUSOexdMX79_rxSuDgyA!2e0

and this is where we think that the collision probably occurred

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3778955,-1.3957854,3a,75y,180.47h,83.9t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sU1BYz5kQViulcsrfgwaGWw!2e0