• My Family
    • The Office
    • One Foot In The Grave
    • Only Fools And Horses
    • Red Dwarf
    • The Royle Family
    • The Vicar Of Dibley
    • Other

Hey guys, I watched an old episode of Only Fools last night(the one with the singer who can't pronounce his r's) and it just got me thinking about how there doesn't really seem to be any really popular British sitcoms any more.

I remember as a kid sitting down with the family and watching Del and Rodney finally become millionaires in Only Fools, Basil Fawlty giving his car the "thrashing of a lifetime" with a tree branch and Frank Spencer roller skating down the road unable to stop. Now I'm an adult it seems like I'll never have these moments with my kids because there are no more epic unmissable sitcoms being produced in this country. For me personally, the best sitcoms these days seem to come from the USA (shudder, I never thought I'd be writing that one day) such as the Big Bang Theory.

Also modern British sitcoms seem unable to introduce any truly iconic characters for audiences to care about and follow weekly such as a Derrick Trotter or a Victor Meldrew.

So what do you think? Do you think there are no more great British sitcoms anymore or do you think there are but having more TV channels plus internet etc means audiences have more choice and prevent new shows from building up a following? Or maybe you think I'm wrong and British sitcoms are doing fine (admittedly I'm no TV addict so there may be shows I'm unaware of). I have included a poll, my pick would be Only Fools, with the Office a close second (not that I'm trying to influence the vote). And as I'm not yet 3 decades old myself, I've only included options from the last 30 years, sorry if I'm making anyone feel old.

I loved Allo Allo as a kid and have been watching reruns. OH MY CHRIST!!!!! Soooooooo funny. Every single episode has me in stitches :D

Hey guys, I watched an old episode of Only Fools last night(the one with the singer who can't pronounce his r's) and it just got me thinking about how there doesn't really seem to be any really popular British sitcoms any more.

I remember as a kid sitting down with the family and watching Del and Rodney finally become millionaires in Only Fools, Basil Fawlty giving his car the "thrashing of a lifetime" with a tree branch and Frank Spencer roller skating down the road unable to stop. Now I'm an adult it seems like I'll never have these moments with my kids because there are no more epic unmissable sitcoms being produced in this country. For me personally, the best sitcoms these days seem to come from the USA (shudder, I never thought I'd be writing that one day) such as the Big Bang Theory.

Also modern British sitcoms seem unable to introduce any truly iconic characters for audiences to care about and follow weekly such as a Derrick Trotter or a Victor Meldrew.

So what do you think? Do you think there are no more great British sitcoms anymore or do you think there are but having more TV channels plus internet etc means audiences have more choice and prevent new shows from building up a following? Or maybe you think I'm wrong and British sitcoms are doing fine (admittedly I'm no TV addict so there may be shows I'm unaware of). I have included a poll, my pick would be Only Fools, with the Office a close second (not that I'm trying to influence the vote). And as I'm not yet 3 decades old myself, I've only included options from the last 30 years, sorry if I'm making anyone feel old.

It's a pity you didn't go back 4 decades, Because sitcoms like steptoe, and rising damp, Porridge should never be left out in a best british sitcom topic, but I must agree with your choice, only fools and the office were brilliant.:thumbsup:

It's a pity you didn't go back 4 decades, Because sitcoms like steptoe, and rising damp, Porridge should never be left out in a best british sitcom topic, but I must agree with your choice, only fools and the office were brilliant.:thumbsup:

I never got Steptoe and son, rising damp was very very funny and i appreciate it more the older i get. Porridge was a bit hit an miss for me. Some classics for sure but a fair few duds too.

Yeah I only wanted to make it 3 decades and I actually thought Porridge and a few others might have just snuck into that timescale but they didn't.

I know what you mean, mind you I think it's a good poll, you mentioned the office being one of your choices, same here, did you catch the detectorist the other night bb4 with mckenzie crook, I found it quite funny, it's got legs.

We're lucky enough to have been spoilt for choice with good TV sitcoms from the late 50s ('Hancock's Half Hour') to the present. Blackadder and Father Ted are/were excellent, but my own personal favourites from recent years are 'Gimme Gimme Gimme', 'Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps' (featuring a very young Sheridan Smith), 'Peep Show', and 'The IT Crowd'. I wouldn't say that these shows are necessarily bristling with "truly iconic characters" but, for me, that doesn't really matter.

Yeah I only wanted to make it 3 decades and I actually thought Porridge and a few others might have just snuck into that timescale but they didn't.

Would 'Yes Minister' or 'Yes Prime Minister' have snuck in?

To my mind one of the best comedies ever made. I wish it would come back, (although these days our politicians are beyond parody.)

It ought to be on all our schools' Citizenship course.

I can't believe that 'Fresh Fields', 'As Time Goes By', and the wonderful 'Life Begins at 40', didn't make the list.

We're lucky enough to have been spoilt for choice with good TV sitcoms from the late 50s ('Hancock's Half Hour') to the present. Blackadder and Father Ted are/were excellent, but my own personal favourites from recent years are 'Gimme Gimme Gimme', 'Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps' (featuring a very young Sheridan Smith), 'Peep Show', and 'The IT Crowd'. I wouldn't say that these shows are necessarily bristling with "truly iconic characters" but, for me, that doesn't really matter.

Gimme gimme gimme was consistently brilliant. Two pints was ok but got worse as it went on in my book. Oddly enough watched an old men behaving badly last night apprapo of nothing and enjoyed it hugely. I think other episodes might not have faired so well though.

Drop The Dead Donkey.

Oh yes. How could I have left that one out of my list? Some excellent characters but Joy was my favourite.

Keeping up Appearances isn't on the list, some of the episodes used to have me in stitches.

I haven't voted because they're are five listed that I equally enjoyed.

Fawlty Towers was a great favourite but that was before the last three decades.