First Buses are a total shambles

Sometimes it may not be but I'm pretty certain most of the time it is. Swapping drivers, programming the ticket machine etc, they don't exactly put their back out; it's a good job they're not on piece work. Why do you think isn't it their fault?

When they start their shift, they're given a piece of paper which tells them where to be and at what time. They have to stick to that timetable. They swap drivers at a place and time that they are instructed to do so. They don't just do it for the sake of it! When the drivers swap, the new driver might sit there for 5 or 10 minutes before setting off. Passengers get irate thinking the driver is just wasting time or 'programming the ticket machine'. They're actually sat there doing nothing because their timetable tells them what time to leave! If they're early, they have to wait.

Finally got a response from them today according to first both the services at 20.22 on 4th & 11th October where affected by heavy traffic along West Street causing the services to run late and the drivers to take relief,

Same problem 2 weeks in a row heavy traffic on West Street at 8pm !.

2 delayed journeys and only one Day Saver ticket.

Still awaiting a reply on my 3rd delayed journey guess it will be heavy traffic again.

affected by heavy traffic along West Street causing the services to run late and the drivers to take relief,

Same problem 2 weeks in a row heavy traffic on West Street at 8pm !.

Often West Street is blocked by taxis much of the evening. Blocking each other, blocking buses, blocking bus stops meaning buses have to block other traffic, all then blocking the tram.

Edited by Parapou
quote didn't format

The 72 (which replaced the A1 service recently) is also pretty dire. It just drove straight past me yesterday morning and I had to get a taxi to work as it only runs every half hour.

I have written to First about this before, and initially they just denied it and said it must be my fault, but when I moaned again they apologised and sent me a day pass. Still doesn't cover my taxi fares though!

When they start their shift, they're given a piece of paper which tells them where to be and at what time. They have to stick to that timetable. They swap drivers at a place and time that they are instructed to do so. They don't just do it for the sake of it! When the drivers swap, the new driver might sit there for 5 or 10 minutes before setting off. Passengers get irate thinking the driver is just wasting time or 'programming the ticket machine'. They're actually sat there doing nothing because their timetable tells them what time to leave! If they're early, they have to wait.

Yeah the thing is the timetable says they should have left 5 minutes ago, whilst they're flaffing about

Yeah the thing is the timetable says they should have left 5 minutes ago, whilst they're flaffing about

The time table the driver has is NOT the same as the timetable on the bus stop. If you read the time table on the bus stops correctly, you will see it says the times of departure are approximate times only.

The time table the driver has is NOT the same as the timetable on the bus stop. If you read the time table on the bus stops correctly, you will see it says the times of departure are approximate times only.

What would you call approximate? 10% 25% 50% ? If a bus is 30 minutes late while it is supposed to be there every 12 minute is that still approximate?

Would a court consider that approximate?

What would you call approximate? 10% 25% 50% ? If a bus is 30 minutes late while it is supposed to be there every 12 minute is that still approximate?

Would a court consider that approximate?

Chances are the bus isn't 30 minutes late. That one is probably on time and the 2 before it were missing. This could be down to any number of things. One bus might have broke down. The other might have been held up in traffic then when the driver got near the city centre, he might already have gone over his shift finishing time so he'll take the bus out of service and take it back to the depot. None of which are the drivers fault. They can't help the bus breaking down and I don't see why they should keep a bus in service if their shift has finished.

Don't worry angel. I know why busses are usually late or not there.

Also, I don't blame the drivers personally for firsts (south Yorkshire) rundown image. I do find the first buses in west Yorkshire significantly better than the south Yorkshire ones, they don't issue tickets with passes for example and you can travel longer distances on them in shorter times and are capable to deal with the demand.

I am looking for a bicycle to start cycling again despite the serious health risks for me. First buses are not capable to do the job right and meet demands,

Once again, if you are a bus driver don't take it personal, you are only a driver working for a run down company charging huge fares for run down services.

The 70 service is none too reliable either :roll:

Well perhaps this is a really silly suggestion. Have the timetable the driver use as the same as the one on the timetable. Or am I being thick here?

Why do the electronic timetables show the buses has coming when they are not ?