First Buses are a total shambles

How does that work? Does it take info from the trackers on the buses where it can and rely on the timetable for the others? If so, then sadly it'll only be reliable on a minority of the buses that have working GPS trackers on them :(.

I think it's witchcraft to be honest....

Seriously, it works for the 50/53/71 that I catch in the morning from Mosborough, and also for the X78 I catch back from Rotherham in the afternoon.

I wouldn't know about other bus routes as I don't use them, but I can honestly say I'm happy with the info it provides. I'd much rather be sat at home with a cup of coffee in the morning rather than standing at a bus stop wondering exactly what time the bus may turn up.

The tram picks you up in the railway station and takes you to High Street and West Street.
I didn't think about the tram, thanks for that information.

My next bus or the fist app (which also includes other buses) both free are excellent and very accurate real time bus info from transponders on the bus.

You can put in any stop.

In my experience of catching buses every day it works,just check it before I leave home.

If there are delays its usually traffic related.

Stagecoach are more reliable than first though and the buses are cleaner.

First however are in the process of upgrading the fleet.

I mainly catch 87,76 or 97/8.

Another 35/36 bus missing completely today plus the next bus 15 minutes late. All other bus routes apparently running without a problem yet again.

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 21:41 ----------

Re my bold.

I agree!

Shareholders, not passengers, are their prime concern. They are running a profit making business...not a service!

They're not going to make a profit if half the passengers walk away from the bus-stop in disgust and get a taxi instead. They're certainly not going to make a profit if they can't be bothered to provide their profit-making business at the time of day when there are the maximum number of customers waiting.

And they are providing a service. Even First describe it as such on their website.

81-82 are probably the worst services in sheffield and it's nothing for them to be missing or at least 10 minutes late. It's even worse on Sunday where each runs every hour to Stannington or Hall Park Head, yet they run every 20 minutes from Ecclesall into the city centre, how does that one work? Every sunday there is at least one bus from each route missing and if they do turn up they're generally 20-30 minutes late

Its a shame because the 80's used to be one of the nest services in the pre deregulation days.

Does not help that first seem to put their oldest buses on there.

Its a shame because the 80's used to be one of the nest services in the pre deregulation days.

Does not help that first seem to put their oldest buses on there.

I rather have a clapped out bus which I know is going to run every 5-10 minutes rather than a brand spanking one with runs every hour

Could someone with technical knowledge of buses, GPS, Real time tracking, YourNextBus and so forth tell me how easy it would be for someone to fake a running bus on the system.

Could someone just unplug the kit from a bus and take it in their car round the route?

Or is it even easier to do on line? Presumably the bus companies can enter amendments, and have to log cancellations (or do they?).

No accusations, not trolling, just genuinely interested how easy it would be.

Ta

Having called sytp the 90% was biased on journeys that had an inspector on they couldn't give a figure on actual buses running to time . It funny that TV adverts that claim x amount journeys arrive on time state total journeys (Airline ad) and busses didn't.

So given I have not seen an inspector in years I presume they are only counting about 10 routes a year. Has anyone else seen these mythical inspectors? Or is there more chance of seeing a Unicorn?

Could someone with technical knowledge of buses, GPS, Real time tracking, YourNextBus and so forth tell me how easy it would be for someone to fake a running bus on the system.

Could someone just unplug the kit from a bus and take it in their car round the route?

Or is it even easier to do on line? Presumably the bus companies can enter amendments, and have to log cancellations (or do they?).

No accusations, not trolling, just genuinely interested how easy it would be.

Ta

Good question!

Let's hope you get a similar answer.

So given I have not seen an inspector in years I presume they are only counting about 10 routes a year. Has anyone else seen these mythical inspectors? Or is there more chance of seeing a Unicorn?

You certainly get them on the trams. You know about when, as well as being yelled at for "Any more fares?" you get "All tickets and passes per---lease"

I don't mean to be rude, but what did you want him to do?!

1 have some compassion and apologise

2 check why the bus didnt turn up:rant:

---------- Post added 04-10-2014 at 18:47 ----------

If First are short of drivers, they ought to take a few 52 off the Hillsborough/Woodhouse route. Crookes gets clogged up with up to 5 or 6 buses at a time trying to get one way or the other. People complain about no buses turning up, and here in Crookes we have far too many.

Yes Mandem Im at the other end Handsworth and the people I see running for a 52 is beyond belief