A question regarding grenoside crematorium

Just before I left Sheffield I scattered my wife's ashes in the crematorium.

On my last visit to Sheffield some months ago I was dismayed to find the gates locked and no access....they close at what I considered an unreasonable hour, and there was no access at 7pm in the evening on a summers day!

I shall be visiting again in November.

This time I shall be sure to arrive during the opening hours.

My question......

Am I allowed to visit the gardens with my dog, well controlled, on a lead.

Surely I'm not the only widower who has a dog for company?

Being local I regularly visit Grenoside Crematorium and take my dog. My family and I know most of the staff/gardeners and nothing as ever been said to us with regards to dog not being allowed. Yes, she is kept on a lead and walked only on the path and road area. In the ten years that I have been to Grenoside I have not heard one visitor or member of staff complain about dogs. Watch out for the fox poo, if my dog gets the chance she rolls in it. Horrible, smelly stuff that looks like oil.

Their was an article in the Star a few days ago about possibly re-routing a bus service so that it passed the crematorium, does anyone know anything about this. I only ask, as recently I was dissuaded from attending a funeral as it was such a long walk from the bus route.

Their was an article in the Star a few days ago about possibly re-routing a bus service so that it passed the crematorium, does anyone know anything about this. I only ask, as recently I was dissuaded from attending a funeral as it was such a long walk from the bus route.

The bus route has been a rumour for a while now. Don't know how true it is. It may be worth ringing a couple of the main bus companies to check it out with them.

Just looked on the website but can't find any information about dogs. These are the details in case you wanted to contact them.

You can contact Grenoside Crematorium on the details provided below:

Tel: 0114 245 3999

Email: [email protected]

Our address

Grenoside Crematorium

5 Skew Hill Lane

Grenoside

Sheffield

S35 8RZ

Opening hours

Monday – Thursday 9:00am – 5:00pm

Friday 9:00am – 4:00pm

Saturday 9:00am – 12:00pm

Best Wishes

November has arrived and I'm visiting this coming weekend.

Was hoping to visit the gardens on Sunday.

Noticed the opening times.....and no mention of Sunday?

Surely not!

I've emailed for clarification but no response.

Hopefully the opening times are office opening times, hence no reply ......

November has arrived and I'm visiting this coming weekend.

Was hoping to visit the gardens on Sunday.

Noticed the opening times.....and no mention of Sunday?

Surely not!

I've emailed for clarification but no response.

Hopefully the opening times are office opening times, hence no reply ......

I've visited on a Sunday no problem what so ever, I'd say the hours posted on here are the hours the office is open as they are listed on the contact us page, hence the 12 noon finish on Saturday and no hours for Sunday.

I'm sure a quick phone call later this morning rather than waiting for a email reply will give you the answer you're after.

Times quoted were indeed office hours.

Received email this morning and opening times on Sunday is 10am to 4pm with pedestrian access only at all times.:thumbsup:

Agreed. Pets should not be permitted because they excrete and pee.

So do foxes, badgers, rabbits, cats, rats and birds. But you can't stop them getting in. At least with a dog there's an owner on the other end of the lead to clean up after them should they do anything.

I enjoy (if that's the right word) walking around such places. Particularly old graveyards and if I happen to have my dog with me, she comes in too. Regardless of wether or not there's a 'no dogs' sign, She's well behaved, on a lead and always under control. I don't see why she shouldn't be allowed in.

Allen, I'm glad you've got the visiting times figured out (and glad you can take your dog too!), it's lovely at Grenoside Cremotorium, so peaceful and beautiful.

At my Aunts funeral in 2012 the much loved family dog was part of the congregation and was made very welcome in the chapel.

She was extremely well behaved and the only place where she wasn't allowed was in the café, which is understandable.

Grenoside is indeed a very peaceful resting place and the staff are very understanding and compassionate.

I'm glad you have had confirmation of the opening times Allen and I hope your visit will bring you comfort and peace.

Just to say...I visited today (Sunday) with my dog.

The dog didn't even have a pee in the grounds...I made sure she was exercised elsewhere previously.

Glad I visited.

Not sure if and when the next visit will be......

Thanks for the positive comments.

Grenoside is a beautiful place to sit and reflect and remember.

If there is a god I'm sure he/she wouldn't mind a dog popping in.

After all, dogs don't make war or exploit or murder. So why not let them in?

I don't have a dog but I wouldn't object to a dog having a pee near my husband's memorial, he would think it quite funny but then we could laugh at stuff like that