Advice on weight training and cardio training

Hi Kieron

I know exactly what you mean mate, I've dropped 5 stone over the past couple of years.

The first thing I'd say is take a serious look at your diet, and come up with something healthy that is sustainable and not massively high in carbohydrates (bread, rice, pasta etc.) Also, when you do eat carbs, make sure they are not refined, so have wholemeal bread, brown rice etc.

Diet is 80% of weightloss and training is the other 20%

As mentioned above, whole body exercise is best for initial weightloss, using compound exercises in supersets, focused split training is probably best for later down the line.

If you google something called Ten Tigers Training Plan, it'll give a good idea how to structure these sets to be able to help.

I definitely found weight training combined with some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) to be best as well, as has also previously been mentioned.

Protein is King, I've never had a protein shake though, look for foods that are high in protein and make sure you are having these regularly, chicken and Tuna are good sources, but you can also find a good cheap protein source in Chickpeas and this helps to vary the diet to keep it interesting and make it easier to stick with.

The key to success is making progress slow, steady, and sustainable, otherwise you will drop weight, and then put it back on again, like so many "yoyoers"

Final thing, don't hit the training too hard, otherwise you will injure yourself and won't be able to train. Again, slow and steady making small improvements every week, start at a level that is comfortable and push it up a level the next week, one minute extra, 5 kgs extra etc etc.

Good luck mate and come back to let us know how you're going on, I've got 18 lbs left to drop to reach my target weight, but I'm happier and healthier than ever.

Hi Kieron

I know exactly what you mean mate, I've dropped 5 stone over the past couple of years.

The first thing I'd say is take a serious look at your diet, and come up with something healthy that is sustainable and not massively high in carbohydrates (bread, rice, pasta etc.) Also, when you do eat carbs, make sure they are not refined, so have wholemeal bread, brown rice etc.

Diet is 80% of weightloss and training is the other 20%

As mentioned above, whole body exercise is best for initial weightloss, using compound exercises in supersets, focused split training is probably best for later down the line.

If you google something called Ten Tigers Training Plan, it'll give a good idea how to structure these sets to be able to help.

I definitely found weight training combined with some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) to be best as well, as has also previously been mentioned.

Protein is King, I've never had a protein shake though, look for foods that are high in protein and make sure you are having these regularly, chicken and Tuna are good sources, but you can also find a good cheap protein source in Chickpeas and this helps to vary the diet to keep it interesting and make it easier to stick with.

The key to success is making progress slow, steady, and sustainable, otherwise you will drop weight, and then put it back on again, like so many "yoyoers"

Final thing, don't hit the training too hard, otherwise you will injure yourself and won't be able to train. Again, slow and steady making small improvements every week, start at a level that is comfortable and push it up a level the next week, one minute extra, 5 kgs extra etc etc.

Good luck mate and come back to let us know how you're going on, I've got 18 lbs left to drop to reach my target weight, but I'm happier and healthier than ever.

Weight training I have no problem with it's just cardio, I don't really know how to set it out from weight training, I know the best thing to is do it after weight training but it's the whole how many times to do it/should I do it on days I don't weight train?

The next I think I have a problem with is coming up with a diet, yeah i have the healthy food but It doesn't stick, it can go down hill really quick and I need someone to do me a plan.

Weight training I have no problem with it's just cardio, I don't really know how to set it out from weight training, I know the best thing to is do it after weight training but it's the whole how many times to do it/should I do it on days I don't weight train?

The next I think I have a problem with is coming up with a diet, yeah i have the healthy food but It doesn't stick, it can go down hill really quick and I need someone to do me a plan.

Here is a way to do it pal.

Monday - weight training (compound moves, whole body work out)

Tuesday - interval cardio (sprint, jog, sprint, jog, etc.)

Wednesday- same as Monday but different routine

Thursday - interval cardio, same as Tuesday

Friday - Weights, same as Monday and Wednesday

Saturday or Sunday - slow jogging cardio for as long as you can.

Your weight routine is whole body, you start off with your biggest muscle group and work to your smallest (so Legs, Back, Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Biceps, Neck) and you do Squat, Pull ups (or bent over rows), overhead press, push downs, curls, neck bridge.

You do as many as you can with bar bell and weights.

The next session, you kick off with Dead Lift and then do back, chest, shoulder, tricep and bicep with dumb bells.

The final weight session you do clean and press, followed by pull up, incline press, over head tricep extension and hammer curls.

I have put a fair few lads on the above and they have all got bigger, more muscular.

The cardio and diet only really come into it when you want to lose weight.

---------- Post added 06-10-2014 at 01:23 ----------

Diet - cut out all white bread, white rice, pasta, biscuits, cakes, fizzy soft drinks, fruit juice.

Eat only very small amounts of whole meal pasta, whole meal bread, etc.

Eat more protein and green veg (Turkey breast, Tuna, Chicken, Fish, some beef or pork), Broccoli, green beans, carrots, cut down on spuds.

Cottage cheese is great as late night snack.

Beer should be kept to a minimum (sad but true)

If you are overweight I would concentrate on getting down a few kilos before starting a weight training regime. Sure, put some full body workouts in there too, but get a good amount of cardio done and sort your diet out before trying to build huge amounts of muscle. I highly recommend cardio for overall health, but for weight loss it's not necessary at all. These ripped guys you see at the beach don't get like that because they spend hours on a treadmill every day - they just eat right. Cardio burns so little fat on the whole, that it's not possible unless you want to spend all day every day in a gym to have a crappy diet and stay lean. As someone already said - diet is about 80% of any training regime, bodybuilding or weight loss.

If you are overweight I would concentrate on getting down a few kilos before starting a weight training regime. Sure, put some full body workouts in there too, but get a good amount of cardio done and sort your diet out before trying to build huge amounts of muscle. I highly recommend cardio for overall health, but for weight loss it's not necessary at all. These ripped guys you see at the beach don't get like that because they spend hours on a treadmill every day - they just eat right. Cardio burns so little fat on the whole, that it's not possible unless you want to spend all day every day in a gym to have a crappy diet and stay lean. As someone already said - diet is about 80% of any training regime, bodybuilding or weight loss.

I've done weight training before and it's helped so i know what I'm doing with that... This post was mainly for cardio

---------- Post added 08-10-2014 at 01:48 ----------

Here is a way to do it pal.

Monday - weight training (compound moves, whole body work out)

Tuesday - interval cardio (sprint, jog, sprint, jog, etc.)

Wednesday- same as Monday but different routine

Thursday - interval cardio, same as Tuesday

Friday - Weights, same as Monday and Wednesday

Saturday or Sunday - slow jogging cardio for as long as you can.

Your weight routine is whole body, you start off with your biggest muscle group and work to your smallest (so Legs, Back, Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Biceps, Neck) and you do Squat, Pull ups (or bent over rows), overhead press, push downs, curls, neck bridge.

You do as many as you can with bar bell and weights.

The next session, you kick off with Dead Lift and then do back, chest, shoulder, tricep and bicep with dumb bells.

The final weight session you do clean and press, followed by pull up, incline press, over head tricep extension and hammer curls.

I have put a fair few lads on the above and they have all got bigger, more muscular.

The cardio and diet only really come into it when you want to lose weight.

---------- Post added 06-10-2014 at 01:23 ----------

Diet - cut out all white bread, white rice, pasta, biscuits, cakes, fizzy soft drinks, fruit juice.

Eat only very small amounts of whole meal pasta, whole meal bread, etc.

Eat more protein and green veg (Turkey breast, Tuna, Chicken, Fish, some beef or pork), Broccoli, green beans, carrots, cut down on spuds.

Cottage cheese is great as late night snack.

Beer should be kept to a minimum (sad but true)

Thanks man!

I have a weight program already and it's worked before so yeah. Advice on cardio is being taken so thanks again, for now cross trainer and walking, I'm also going to boxing every monday/tuesday so that should help.

Anyway thanks.

You take your workout routine very seriously & do everything to grow your muscle mass.

You train hard, eat right and sleep well to make sure you recover for the next training session.

But, let me guess - you don't stretch, right? You think that stretching is boring and for girls - not for real, strong man?

If you want your muscles to grow faster, you need to incorporate some stretching in your training session. Stretching is essential for building muscles!!!

Every muscle of your body is covered by a tissue called a "fascia". The fascia is like a bag that surrounds your muscle and groups of muscles. This tissue is very important because is holds your muscles in the right place in your body. But the fascia is very tough tissue and doesn't allow the muscle much room to expand (grow). Imagine: You try to blow a balloon inside of another balloon. When the balloon inside grows & touches the second balloon, it will be hard for you to keep going. No matter how well you train and how great your nutrition is, the fascia will stop your muscle growing.

Stretching is your solution!!!

Using the example of 2 balloons, imagine if you can stretch the outside balloon first. It will give you more room for the inside balloon to get bigger. By stretching your muscles, you will at some time stretch the fascia tissues. You will give your muscles some room to grow.

I can show you cool yoga posses to stretch your body and you are going be surprised how many hidden muscles you've got which you never worked with before ;-)

Every Tuesday @ 5pm & Friday @ 10am

The Fitness Club Central

94 Surrey St,

Sheffield S1 2LG

angelinayoga.net

Members: £4 & Nonmembers: £6 - the cheapest in Sheffield !!!

Agree about the importance of stretching.

Along with core strength its probably the most important and overlooked part of any programme.

This has been a great thread for helping my weight loss clients (& myself) develop a great workout. Thanks to all who have contributed, I found it really useful :-)

Hi Kieron - I guess we are opposites in some ways. We both seem to be bigger than average but you have good strength and I have good cardio. It's a constant disappointment to me that I'm not stronger.

Give the rower a go.

It will maintain strength and do wonders for your cardio.

An enthusiasm of mine is 'www.nonathlon.com'.

Its an indoor rower website for the Concept2 machine. You can do 1 of the categories or all 10 (9 to count). Point's out of 1,000 are awarded for each distance. My scores get better as the distances get longer. I need lots more 'grunt' at the 500 metres distance.

Rowing will break up other regular sessions and give you a check on how you're doing. The website will give you a focus, its cross all age groups, cross sexes and in two weight categories - a real comparison of fitness.

B.T.W. - My 1:45:00 time for 500 metres scores me 796 points and I need a half second improvement to get into the 800's. Maybe today!

I just want to say thanks for everything everyone has said about my post, I'm late on starting but I'll be starting to tomorrow. Just lacking on motivation right now, but again thanks for everyone bringing their input into what I said!

If you're looking at losing weight whilst getting stronger and fitter. Come down and try Don Valley CrossFit.

We've had guys lose multiple stones who are now able to climb ropes, do handstands aswell as deadlift over double body weight

Drop me a message for more info