No fee no win solicitors-any experience?

Hi. Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding using a no win no fee solicitor versus using a 'regular' solicitor? This is for a road traffic accident. The insurance company have passed it onto their no win no fee solicitor.

Just researching the benefits of each type and wondered if anyone had any advice. Thanks!

Hi

No win no fee is a method of funding not a type of solicitor. There should be no difference in service levels between different types of funding. We're not allowed to offer different levels of service depending on how someone is paying us.

I can explain further when I'm not on my phone if you need.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Hi

No win no fee is a method of funding not a type of solicitor. There should be no difference in service levels between different types of funding. We're not allowed to offer different levels of service depending on how someone is paying us.

I can explain further when I'm not on my phone if you need.

But there is. If your case is not guaranteed an 100% win the chances are you'll not be represented because the solicitor doesn't get paid. Long gone of the days when solicitors cared for their clients

But there is. If your case is not guaranteed an 100% win the chances are you'll not be represented because the solicitor doesn't get paid. Long gone of the days when solicitors cared for their clients

Not true at all. Most firms, mine included, use a limit of 51% as their minimum assessment.

And your further point - people won't work if they think they won't get paid. Well isn't that understandable? What sort of business model is it to take on work where you think it more likely than not that you won't get paid. Would any business operate that model?

Thanks for the info, Moosey. Any more advice you have is welcome.

Thanks for the info, Moosey. Any more advice you have is welcome.

You should notice no difference.

The assessments will be the same (as long as the case has better than 50% prospects, they'll take it on), no matter whether it's funded by CFA (No Win No Fee) or through a legal expense policy.

The only thing to consider is whether they're deducting anything from your damages. Since the law reforms in 2013, many firms are deducting costs from damages, up to 25% (although some firms, that shall remain nameless, are taking far more than that, in a rather hideous and sneaky way that I find abhorrent). You need to see whether you'll have any deductions, and if so, what they are.

As I say, many firms are making deductions now. I won't air my personal views on that as a practice generally on a public forum.

In terms of the type of firm you end up with, each is different. Some employ lots of unqualified staff, some don't. Some have high case loads, some don't. It's impossible to know which firm you would get and the make up of that firm. Enquire about these things, and if you're not happy, change.

Most firms these days should be similar in terms of quality.

If I can help further, just ask.

Caring for clients is giving them the CORRECT advice whether or not its what the client wants to hear.

Of course a solicitor is not going to take a case on if it has less than xx% merits. But that's a good thing isnt it. A client needs to be told clearly whether they have a case or not. Being mislead and given false hope is hardly caring for a client is it.

Perhaps you want to go back to the days of solicitors taking on any old crap whether or not it had any merits and just charging the client xxx£ per hour win or lose eh?? That's justice.

How about the wonderful days of the Accident Group and Claims Direct eh. Literally making up claims out of thin air, ambulance chasing and signing clients up to huge credit insurance agreements leaving clients exposed to thousands in fees wiping out any compensation awards by three or four times.

How about straight private fees eh? £2k on opening account and £250 / £350 / £500 per hour thereafter. After all if you stump up enough dough a solicitor should do exactly what you say right? Im sure loads of men and women on the street have £10k+ in their pockets ready to pay for a legal claim and all the disbursements, insurance and expert fees.

Even back in the days of legal aid for civil claims they still had to have sufficient merits. It was not a simple case of getting LA for anything and everything. Solicitors had to evidence the prospects and keep re-applying as a claim progressed for the LA board to assess.

Try looking up some facts before letting things fall out of your mouth next time.

---------- Post added 30-09-2014 at 00:56 ----------

Hi. Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding using a no win no fee solicitor versus using a 'regular' solicitor? This is for a road traffic accident. The insurance company have passed it onto their no win no fee solicitor.

Just researching the benefits of each type and wondered if anyone had any advice. Thanks!

As for the OP, Moosey has given good advice which I would second.

My only addition would be to be careful when choosing a firm. Try to keep to genuine solicitors firms which have a local presence and a physical office.

Be wary of flashy looking websites and anything with the descriptors of "Laywers" "Injury..... Limited" "Claims Management Company" "Accident Management"

These are often merely sales companies who act as middle men for a claim and often charge much higher fees (....or have additional hidden charges) which many genuine sols wont.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Thanks for all of the good advice!

I see that the no win no fee company can take up to 25% of a payout on top of their fees. Is this standard practice with solicitors who don't operate a no win no fee service?

I see that the no win no fee company can take up to 25% of a payout on top of their fees. Is this standard practice with solicitors who don't operate a no win no fee service?

That is a no win no fee service.

If you don't win there's no fee.

If you win, there is.

---------- Post added 02-10-2014 at 19:03 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiodav708

If you win, there is.

I misunderstood sorry.

The alternative is legal expense funding. It then depends on your insurer and the agreement they have with their panel firms

I've had a no win no fee solicitor for getting on for 3 years..Oh..No..4 years...and now he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth...But it was for a contesting of a will....Sigh

If you win, there is.

---------- Post added 02-10-2014 at 19:03 ----------

I misunderstood sorry.

The alternative is legal expense funding. It then depends on your insurer and the agreement they have with their panel firms

Thanks. I don't think l explained it very well. I meant a success fee on top of the hourly fee.