What's happening to our fire service??

5,000 fire fighters have lost their jobs since 2010, 39 fire stations have been closed and budgets have been cut. On top of this the governments plans to change their retirement age and cut their pensions.

I don't know about you, but becoming a fire fighter doesn't seem half as appealing as it used to be. You'd think that the government would want to attract the right kind of person for such an important job.

Maybe we've become more conscious to the dangers of fire and the service simply doesn't need the manpower?

5,000 fire fighters have lost their jobs since 2010, 39 fire stations have been closed and budgets have been cut. On top of this the governments plans to change their retirement age and cut their pensions.

I don't know about you, but becoming a fire fighter doesn't seem half as appealing as it used to be. You'd think that the government would want to attract the right kind of person for such an important job.

_______

“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your mouth.”

Stop smoking.You will make a dramatic reduction to your fire risk.Then you will not need to worry so much about the fire service.

_______

“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your mouth.”

Stop smoking.You will make a dramatic reduction to your fire risk.Then you will not need to worry so much about the fire service.

The men in white coats have been informed! :loopy:

---------- Post added 29-09-2014 at 16:58 ----------

Maybe we've become more conscious to the dangers of fire and the service simply doesn't need the manpower?

That must be it! Never thought of that!

I just checked and you are correct, the number of call outs for every type of incident as also fallen. We are better at preventing fires and accidents so there are fewer fires and other accidents and less need for firefighters.

Thanks Europe, good job on ensuring fire safety laws have been implemented in all member states :)

Thanks Europe, good job on ensuring fire safety laws have been implemented in all member states :)

You don't think a UK government would be capable of implementing fire safety laws?

I just checked and you are correct, the number of call outs for every type of incident as also fallen. We are better at preventing fires and accidents so there are fewer fires and other accidents and less need for firefighters.

Provide a link please......from a reputable web site

The men in white coats have been informed! :loopy:

---------- Post added 29-09-2014 at 16:58 ----------

That must be it! Never thought of that!

From the men in white coats :

Fire Statistics, Great Britain, 2010-11 31

Deaths by source of ignition of fire (Tables 2.1 and 11)

2.10 Smokers’ materials (i.e. cigarettes, cigars or pipe tobacco) were the most frequent source of ignition causing accidental dwelling fire deaths, accounting for over a third of all accidental dwelling fire deaths in 2010-11. For every 1,000 accidental dwelling fires

(where smokers’ materials were the source of ignition), 35 people were killed in 2010-

From the men in white coats.

So they found you then?!

You don't think a UK government would be capable of implementing fire safety laws?

Bait, took firmly by predictable poster. ?