Really good pub food on the outskirts of Sheffield/in the countryside

PARISH OVEN - THORPE SALVIN

GEORGE AND DRAGON - WENTWORTH

PLOUGH -BRADFIELD

Great food, great beers, all set in nice villages and a max 30 mins drive from the city centre.

Edited by POUNDSWORTH

Went to the devonshire arms at middle handley for Sunday lunch yesterday. It was good but really quiet.

If you want good view book a table at the inn at troway. The fish and chips are excellent and fairly sure you'll find a sausage if you really want one.

Dev has been good food for ages but a bit pricey,Inn @ Trowey was pretty average to me,Black Lion at Firbeck was good last time I was there.

Three Merry Lads at Redmires will suit your desires, and not too far to travel.

Fox House at Longshaw is decent and not too far to travel

The Plough at Low Bradfield does a fantastic carvery on a Sunday and I think they have the sort of traditional dishes you're after on their standard menu too.

If you think the Plough does good food you must eat some crap. Very very average frozen pub food.

---------- Post added 02-10-2014 at 18:26 ----------

The Old Horns at High Bradfield, never had a bad meal there.

Same as the Plough, owned by the same people I believe and sells the same food. Chiptastic.

The Barrel at Breton is great. REALLY good food, lovely location.

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek

If you think the Plough does good food you must eat some crap. Very very average frozen pub food.

---------- Post added 02-10-2014 at 18:26 ----------

Same as the Plough, owned by the same people I believe and sells the same food. Chiptastic.

The Barrel at Breton is great. REALLY good food, lovely location.

On the contrary, I have eaten some excellent pub food. I haven't actually eaten from the main menu, but I stand by my previous comment that the Sunday carvery was excellent - possibly the best that I've had, in fact.

Stick with the carvery then, the rest of the food is awful.

I was unfortunate enough to eat there recently, I thought they couldn't screw up a chicken burger, or a Chicken Jerk burger as the menu calls it. Chicken fillets, Jerk sauce, sour cream, Swiss cheese and gherkins.

That's not what I got. It was three soggy chicken dippers on a bun with some nasty BBQ sauce and Cheap chips. The type where every third chip seems to have been injected with oil.

Someone else ordered the Chilli. A bowl of bitty mince served with chips, rice, garlic bread and nachos. I thought the rice was a massive pile of cheese as it was yellow, it wasn't, it was rice. Rice to go with the chips, three pieces of garlic bread and nachos. Why the hell would you want Chips, Garlic bread rice AND nacho's??!

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek

LOL WE HAVE HEARD YOU :)

Several posters have enjoyed their experience at the Plough, shall we repeat and repeat it ?

Move on :rolleyes: you have had your moan (several times)

LOL WE HAVE HEARD YOU :)

Several posters have enjoyed their experience at the Plough, shall we repeat and repeat it ?

Move on :rolleyes: you have had your moan (several times)

Errrr, I replied to a post. Shall I put some eyes up too?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Errrr, I replied to a post. Shall I put some eyes up too?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Try a smiley , and chill .:| we have moved on.

Don't go to the Plough at Grindleford. Frozen low quality food when we went.