Samuel osborn apprentices

Are there any ex samuel osborn apprentices out there from the early sixties intake

Yeah I was apprentice in the 'Cage' at Mushet on Penistone Road. Started there in 66 and remember Dave Price, Alan Pass,Ray Gold. Other names will come after I finish as usual! Old uy instructing us was a miserable old so and so and was followed by edgar ? who had many tales to tell about his army experiences.

do you remember daryl segdwick be a bit older than you

I think my brother Stuart Barton was there about 1965ish as an apprentice but left to join the gas board,also the name kevin,can't think of his surname at the moment but it will come to me.

I worked in the wages office from 1969 to 1978, Joyce Evans was in charge, I worked with Liz, Audrey, Lorraine. I started in the cost office with Jackie, Brian Summerson, Eric Burling and Frank Billington. I met up with Brian and Pat Cain, (Pat worked with Eric Kirby upstairs in the old factory next to the canteen), last week after 36 years. We are meeting up again with all those above and more, ark Kirby is coming , hopefully Rod Blye, on Friday 23rd January in the pub in Meadowhall, the one in the oasis if anyone is interested. Bernard Dye was the training manager when I started.

Bernard Dye sadly passed away a couple of years ago - what a character he was!!!! I worked at Mushet Tools late 70's in the medical room. Great times & some smashing people.

Its my first so I can't post a link but if you go to the British Pathe website and in the search box enter "Factory workers Sheffield" you may see yourselves!

I used to pass Mushet's every morning on the No.10 on my way to work, peering through the fag smoke and mucky bus windows thinking I'm glad I didn't work there.

About a minute from the end of the short film there are shots of a apprentice being trained on a lathe ....... hope you enjoy!

Blimey,Bernard looked 80 when I started in 75,

I started in the chemmy lab at Rutland Road foundry in August 1964. Happy days. I remember Bernard as he was my boss. He also had me acting as projectionist in the training room at Butts across the road showing entertainment for apprentices.

Bernards deputy was Malcolm Padley. Others were Daver Brooks, Malc Burley, ?Jackson, Roger Peace, Brian Harlow the folk singer.

Pete Fisher

Edited by Fish1948

Hi I worked in the wicker site started in the post room.  1967.

.Moved to accouting machine room later.  Moved to Ecclesfield i thunk in 1969. Would love to hear from anyone who worked there. Muriel Fines