Double barreled names..where does it end?

Like the celebrities do?....They always keep their name....For continuity?

Well Cliff Richard was christened Harry Webb, and Sigourney Weaver was Susan Weaver... The gorgeous David Tennant was born David McDonald,

Even Cilla Black was Priscilla White. And Cher was born Cherilyn sarkasian.

So is that any different from Brits who do the same thing?

---------- Post added 28-09-2014 at 15:21 ----------

Like the celebrities do?....They always keep their name....For continuity?

Yes, because Brits tend to use the male partner's name full-time ie. if Sarah Palmer marries Liam Ferguson than she tends to become Sarah Ferguson, he does not become Liam Palmer (Excellent player).

Meh forgot the important bit: In the Netherlands she would become Sarah Ferguson-Palmer, verbally she would say she was called Sarah Ferguson but on paper she would be Ferguson-Palmer. So I had a crush on a teacher called Mevr. Van der Meij, which is how we had to address her, but her full name was Mevr. Van der Meij-Westergo (or something like that) so I hated Mr. Westergo.

Hope that makes things clearer!

Edited by tzijlstra

With the current vogue when people get married, and decide to use both surnames....I was wondering (yeah I know I have some random thoughts)...Where will it end?

You marry someone who already has a double barrelled name...the person you marry, has one too (there's four names)....then their children also marry someone with a double barrelled name....There's 8 names....I wonder how many names it would go on for?...

Sadly my name will die out in my lineage....as I only have daughters...sigh

I think Spaniards have a complicated method of combining names and passing them on to their children.

I like what they do in Nordic countries where the sons surname comes from his own fathers first name, for example if your fathers first name is Gustaf then your surname would be Gustafsson. I forget how it works for girls whether they take their father or mothers name, I think maybe Gustasdottir or something like that.

Maybe one day this double barrelled name problem will spiral out of control and future generations will have no alternative than to get rid of names altogether and everyone will just have a number; Mr 3975600245. "I am a man, not a number!"

It just seems a shame that my lineage will die once I shuffle off my mortal coil, and it will be forgotten...Some would say, thank god...but it makes me kinda sad

It just seems a shame that my lineage will die once I shuffle off my mortal coil, and it will be forgotten...Some would say, thank god...but it makes me kinda sad

Dont worry, in this day and age of genealogy there is little chance of that happening.

If your daughters have kids without getting married, surely it won't do?

... or in the however unlikely event that they marry someone also called Morris? :)

One of them is already married and doesn't have the name any more...another is due to marry next year, and again, I don't expect her to keep the name....The last one doesn't have my name anyway...Long story and not for discussion here...lol

---------- Post added 28-09-2014 at 20:30 ----------

... or in the however unlikely event that they marry someone also called Morris? :)

Surely not incest!!!???... ;)

Surely not incest!!!???... ;)

:hihi:

Of course not...

... but I'd have thought it was a fairly common popular surname.

(changed that bit so as not to offend) ;)

I have a Morris Minor if that helps.

I have a Morris Minor if that helps.

Swap it for my car then...lol